Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We lost Junior Johnson today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 20, 2019.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was lucky to have caught Humpy Wheeler interviewing Junior at 2006 Goodguys SE Nationals in Charlotte. Talking about outrunning the Feds, modifying the late '30s Fords, etc. What a character! Truly iconic figure.
    JuniorJohnson&Humpy.jpg

loudbang, HEMI32 and anthony myrick like this.

2. Robert Glenn Johnson Jr.jpg
    Robert Glenn Johnson Jr.
    June 28, 1931 – December 20, 2019

3. Mr. Johnson voiced the Junior "Midnight" Moon character in CARS 3 logo.jpeg :

Junior Moon.jpg

Here's @Jive-Bomber Jay at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in June of 2017 discussing NASCAR Legend Junior Johnson ... and the "Junior Moon" character:

Jay Ward - Blackhawk Museums Speaker Series  - Legends in CARS 3 - Junior Johnson.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  4. loudbang

loudbang

5. ^^^^2 of my all-time racing heroes. Junior Johnson and Fred Lorenzen. Love that photo^^^

6. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Look at the bottom of the fender on Junior's car compared to Fred Lorenzen's. I wonder if he was up to something there. :)

7. Boodlum

Boodlum

Banana Car
    (note the rear of hood spacered up an inch or so for airflow - least of the modifications)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. realsteeler

realsteeler

When I was a kid in the late 50's-60's, my dad had all these
    Popular Mechanics mags hanging around. Here in New Zealand, hot rod mags were not so common.
    So I got to learn about Junior Johnston that way.
    What a legend! from a time when the racing, and the cars, I could relate to.
    Would have loved to have seen the guy in person. My sympathy to all who knew him.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Won 50 races in his Nascar career and earned 6 titles as an owner. Member of the Nascar Hall Of Fame. Junior Johnson you will be missed R.I.P.