Register now to get rid of these ads!

We Fired The Mill This Weekend – The Good and Bad w/Video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, May 24, 2009.

1. Dave,
    I enjoyed helping you this weekend. You made a lot of progress - don't forget that (the glass is half full) and from all these posts you have several easy fixes to try.

2. Terry O makes a good point. Just run the center carb.

I would have the carb builder fix the problem first, but then you could run the center carb, one fuel line, and see how she does. You only need the center carb and the rest are there for higher speeds, is that an echo?

BTW, I found a wiring diagram for the amp gauge. You will need to put the rest of the harness on before you can wire it in.

3. Say the word and I'm on board.

4. titus

titus

i dont have the part number for the grommet but the parts stores usually has an assortment, i just measured the hole in the block and fit the pcv valve to the grommet, i havent boughten one in a while so i can recall the part number.

yep, the fuel pump decided to pump and extra few quartes of fuel into the oil pan!

JEFF

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Well thank you, it's a 283 :D and really likes to wind up on the backstrech where Larry can't see it.

6. Is this what you met by"fire up the motor", Dave?

Attached Files:

7. chopz56

chopz56

Cool videos,motor sounds good, i hope you get all bugs worked out!

8. gas pumper,
    Very cool idea for solving that age-old "open cowl" exhaust problem!!!! If I build a set I'll design em' a little shorter to accommodate the added length. Did you use stainless with Locktite? With all the heat & moisture cycling I'd hate to see you rot out the holes. You might also try stainless pop rivets and just drill em' out when it's time with an 1/8" titanium bit. Nice job!

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

Us lazy guys always find a simple solution:D

The best part of those cones is that the exhaust smell dosen't come in the car anymore. The prior baffles were completly inside and even a short ride would have my clothes smelling like exhaust.

I used Stainless button head allen screws and the cones are tapped. I only take them out once a year at the Showdown and no rust or sticking, and they don't get loose.. Really no moisture there, the pipes get hot almost instantly to keep them dry.

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Ahh, so your running a pretty mild cam then. I have a Comp Cams 292 grind in my 305. 244 Duration at .50, and 292 advertised. Its radical, and probably not very streetable, but oh well. Im young

11. Nice score, Dave!!
    Also nice price ;-)

12. Please post up on the engine compression checks and etc. I would like to know more on the health of the 283.

Nice score on the back up motor. You will have something to do this winter. I have mics to check the bore with if you want to do that sometime.

13. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

"IF I make it to the Roundup in 2010, the body will probably not be painted, but I will have a fresh motor."

PAINT :rolleyes: Who said you needed paint;)

14. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

What radiator are you running?

15. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Even with 'bad news' after getting a car running, it's still a kick to have it running. I know it was unexpected, but just keep in mind how far you've come. It will all work out in the end....and hey, elbow grease doesn't cost anything when you're your own customer!...lol

Good luck, Dave.
    ~Jef

16. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Who needs paint? Primer works fine, find a color and go to town.good luck with the motor deal.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SWEET! That fireball is what it's allll about right there!!! :D:D

Good to see some progress Dave! Despite the little hickups, it looks like things are moving along. Keep us posted!!
    <TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: white 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; BORDER-TOP: white 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: white 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" id=lightboxholder vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR class=lightboxtextrow><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 4px" class=smallfont>GreatBallsOfFire.jpg (1 of 1