Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical We don't need no stinking gaskets!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdilecce, Oct 3, 2014.

1. sdilecce

sdilecce

I needed to clean up the Rochester 1b from my 1951 Chevy. I'm out of work at the moment so I did not want to order a carb kit. Unfortunately the air horn gasket tore when I took it apart for a Pinesol bath. What to do? Found that a cereal box was the right thickness (Thank God, a Kenny Rogers album cover was the next choice). Traced the old gasket, used punched and a hammer for the holes and it was a perfect fit! One thing when using Pinesol to soak carburetor parts. It will clean varnish and rust, but it will strip the paint or plating right off the parts down to bare metal. All in all the carb is good as new again for $0 so I am happy. image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

Max Gearhead likes this.
  2. Muttley

Muttley

Not sure what sucks worse, being too broke to afford a carburetor kit or owning a Kenny Rogers album. Congratulations on the cheap fix.

3. stimpy

stimpy

whats worse is if the wife buys cereal in the plastic bags then SOL . always kept a roll of gasket paper in the tool box for stuff like this .

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the handiest things a guy can have is a set if those hollow punches to make the holes in these gaskets. Like Stimpy, I keep a couple of rolls of gasket paper in different thicknesses (plus a roll of cork stock) under the bench. I am not above using cereal boxes or similar once in a while, though.

loudbang likes this.

5. The auto parts store kept giving me the wrong gasket for my thermostate housing on the 56 buick wagon so I made mine out of an old J.B. weld package .lol Bruce WHAT EVER WORKS!

6. back of spiral notebooks works well in a pinch for odd stuff too

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pistol and rifle cases work great for punches.

loudbang likes this.