Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Alright, Jim! I kind of figured you'd weigh in with info on the Elkhart-related companies. You da man!

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Walter Miller does it again! Looking darn natty in knickers:D:rolleyes::confused::eek::p, Albert Erskine poses for a promotional shot of the new '27 Erskine with Prince William (Wilhelm of Sweden). For collectors of early auto memorabilia, Walter has this photo available on eBay; just search key words, if interested!

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

4. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

5. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

I came across this photo (copyright) of a 1918 Biddle that was taken in 1954.

Click link to view : http://www.hvri.org/picture.ehtml?pid=645549793
    <TABLE class=photodetails><TBODY><TR><TH>"Name</TH><TD>1918 Biddle</TD></TR><TR><TH>User</TH><TD>Nick Georgano</TD></TR><TR><TH>Country</TH><TD>UKI</TD></TR><TR><TH>Age Group</TH><TD>18 and over</TD></TR><TR><TH>Amateur/Professional</TH><TD>NonPro</TD></TR><TR><TH>Category</TH><TD>Car</TD></TR><TR><TH>Whats Happening</TH><TD>Every Day Use</TD></TR><TR><TH>Created</TH><TD>21 Jan 2009</TD></TR><TR><TH>Copyright Protectd</TH><TD>Yes</TD></TR><TR><TH>Photo date</TH><TD>1954</TD></TR><TR><TH>Colour</TH><TD>Black and White</TD></TR><TR><TH>Format</TH><TD>Photograph"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This may be the same car that was featured in the 1954 British Pathe (Rally) video link, or it could just be a great co-incidence.

So, ......................................... is the mystery car a Biddle or Argonne? :confused: :)

6. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Biddle:

I tried a "google" search and found a copy of the April 1957, "The Rotarian", Vol 90 No 4, which has a photograph of a 1918 Biddle Sports Roadster that was owned by Edward S Hansen of Madison, Wis. It appears the photograph may have originated at/from the British Travel Assoc.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ckAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=1918+biddle&source=bl&ots=8DaygKlOWP&sig=q2dY-zQE5xq0MJxdYqVwYxFnFkU&hl=en&ei=aoOiTZjUK8yGcbLk1eEB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBTge#v=onepage&q=1918%20biddle&f=false

7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's another interesting car built by Dutch Darrin. A 1941 Packard Clipper convertible.

I can't confirm it but I believe that this is the only Clipper Convertible ever made. Supposedly, this car was specially built for Actor Errol Flynn.

Attached Files:

8. Vintageride

Vintageride

[​IMG]

Yes. It was the only one built.

According to Richard M Langdon in Vol 34 Automobile Quarterly No 1 Jan 1994 "Packard Clipper; The Lost Continuum of an American Institution" there was only one of this type convertible built for Flynn and the car is at large. The article represents the other tan vehicle as a reconstruction. If it is a reconstruction, it looks "dead on".

Vintageride

9. So who influenced who?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1949 Humber Super Snipe Convertible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1942 Lincoln Continental Convertible

10. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

HJ;

When I first looked at the pictures of the Humber Super Snipe, the fenders immediately said to me Lincoln Continental. This was before I looked at the Continental pictures you posted. When I look at the rear, I see late '40's Nash.

11. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jim, when I first saw the pix, I immediately thought '40 LaSalle, one of my absolute
    favorite cars.

Once I got over that mistake, I started thinking what a shame that Packard never had
    the ghost of a chance to build a production version. The timing of the war threw
    Packard's market timing off, and they never got a leg up in the auto world again.

Quite apparently, Dutch did built this for Errol Flynn, and there is supposed to be a
    photo of his chauffeur standing next to it, according to a SHORT BUT GREAT exchange
    by knowledgeable folks over at the ever-great AACA forums (I suspect it's the link
    Grahame noted). One poster (Mr. Sumner, I think) there actually owned the Packard,
    purchased for $1,500 in 1949 off a car lot! And he, or possibly another poster, said two
    tribute versions were done years later. Great thread, though short!

The REAL shame, though, is that the Clipper -- with a properly timed intro (instead,
    interrupted by the war) COULD have been THE "transitional" style to carry Packard to
    a fresh style footing. In retrospect, it would seem that by the time four years of war
    had passed, the Clipper that was fresh in 1941 was practically old-hat by 1946.

Though Packard made a mistake now and then, WWII was NOT their fault. The reasons
    for Packard's ultimate demise were many, and after the mid-'30s, its opportunity(ies) for
    survival were few. It would have taken more than just great leadership to chart a win-
    ning path. A crystal ball would have been the order of the day!

[​IMG]
    Photo THANKS to flickr.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I don't quite know what to make of this photo. I ran onto it while
    searching "Damita Flynn Packard." Sort of Looks like Lili Damita,
    but I can't get my arms around the other elements. Any help?
    [​IMG]
    Photo THANKS to flickr.

14. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Larry and his Dad bought this 1940 LaSalle Series 52 Convertible together back in 1965 when Larry was in high school. He says it is one of only 425 1940 LaSalle Series 52 built and believes there are only about 25 of this model that survive.

After enjoying the car back then, It was stored for many years in the back of the family hardware store well life took a different direction.

Members of his old high school car club "The Beater Boys" which was started back then and still exists to this day encouraged Larry to restore this rare LaSalle with there help.

It was shown for the first time this past weekend at the 55th Annual Gopher State Timing Association Car Show.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577855&highlight=gsta

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579060&highlight=gsta

Attached Files:

15. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

There were just 75 examples of the five-passenger LaSalle Convertible Sedan, Series 52, produced in 1940.

In modern times, it is believed that only ten examples remain. This example was originally sold in August of 1940 to a baroness who was a resident of Vermont.

The car remained in her possession until 1960, before it passed through two more owners and finally joined a Michigan-based private collection in 1975.

The car has been restored since new, and painted in a light green color and fitted with a new tan convertible top and a tobacco-colored interior. It was given features such as a driver's side spotlight, a banjo-type steering wheel and wide whitewall tires.

In 2009, this car was brought to RM Auctions 'Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook' where it was estimated to sell for $40,000-$60,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the lot had been sold for the sum of $35,200, including buyer's premium.

In 2006, at the same auction, the car was offered for sale and had the same estimated value. The car was sold for the sum of $33,000, including buyer's premium.

Thanks to Concept Carz for this info.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/chassisNum.aspx?carID=11406&iDNumID=240

Attached Files:

16. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

I think "this type" is the key. There were several Clipper convertibles built before the war, but only one by Darrin.

Here's one from the fantastic collection of photos (my sincere thanks to them for the photos) at www.conceptcarz.com .

As an afterthought, even though it's labeled as a Clipper...it sorta resembles a 180 model. Now I'm not positive.

Attached Files:

17. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Land Rover

Land Rover, quite a common vehicle, but, the original one has not survived (a replica has been built).

1947 prototype - surplus WW2 Willys Overland Jeep rebodied and repowered by Rover. Prototype had central steering.

Prototype:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"1947

Maurice Wilks, Rover's chief engineer and brother of company Chairman Spencer Wilks, used an army surplus Jeep on his estate in Anglesey, North Wales.
    It was this vehicle which inspired the notion of producing an adaptable workhorse for farmers. Soon the first prototype Land Rovers were built (based on the WWII Willys Overland Jeep) including the centre-steer prototype.
    The Rover car company thought it had found a short-term solution to post-war shortages: The Land Rover's body was of 'Birmabright' aluminium alloy at a time when steel was in short supply."

http://www.globallandrovers.com/main/site.php?use=history

[​IMG]

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_spotters_guide_europe_1947.htm

[​IMG]

http://www.4wdonline.com/LandRover/Series/S1/1947.html

http://www.saturne.abeille.com/landpassion/land.php3?lang=us

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

According to;

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Las1940.htm

1940 LaSalle Production Figures are as follows;

The sedan for 5 passengers

Series 50

6558 built but they show pictures of two different styles of sedans, (See pictures below)

140 built with sunroof

Series 52 "C" Body Only

10181 Built

132 Built for Export

<big>The Coupe for 2 passengers</big>

Series 50

1,525 Built

Series 52

3000 Built

<big>The Convertible Coupe</big>

Series 50

598 Built

Series 52

425 Built, so that figure was for the Convertible Coupe only, not the whole production of Series 52 for 1940.

<big>The 2-Door Sedan for 5 Passengers</big>

Series 50

366 Built

Series 52

None Built

<big>The Convertible Sedan</big>

Series 50

125 Built

Series 52

75 Built

Attached Files:

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  20. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

the wheels look cheap, but the car looks really nice.

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Wow! Looks VERY nice a as a 'vert! :) Like you, Jim, I'd wanna see it with top UP, too. If the top has a "full" look (not that skin-and-bones look), then it's a VERY together 'chine! :cool: The wires look good, too. Did Buick OFFER the wire wheel option for the Riv?

I worked my part-time job in college with a guy who had a '63 Riviera, and it was all he could talk about -- his Riv, back home waiting in the garage. 340-hp 425-CID and 465 fp of torque. Whoa. :eek: I wonder if he still has it, or if it's now one of those the-one-that-got-away stories???

(I also knew a 'Nam vet in school who had a '64 Wildcat with a 401 nailhead. It REALLY was a hotrod and lived up to its name!;))

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Attached Files:

24. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

25. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Spangler Dual (Manf. by HAHN Motors, Inc. of Hamburg Pa.:

Mainly Ford parts. Powered by twin 100HP flathead V8's.

Extinct?

[​IMG]

"Spangler-Dual Fire engine

This is a Spangler-Dual.Invented by D.H. Spangler
    and manufactured by HAHN of Hamburg Pa.U.S.A.Only two were made and both were scrapped due to problems!They had 1000 gallon tanks,two 500GPM pumps, and two FORD engines.I know one was sold to
    Friendship F.D. in Morgantown P.A. and scrapped shortly there after due to all kinds of mechanical problems!"

http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number16608.asp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.albert-baas.nl/spangler.htm

[​IMG]

http://www.youngstownfire.com/forums/index.php?topic=2685.0

26. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Eisenhauer Manufacturing Co., Van Wert, Ohio. - Extinct (as far as these types of vehicle)?

Twin 6 cylinder engines placed one above the other and syncronized manual transmission. Steering through the front two and the 5th (rearmost) axle.

[​IMG]

Thanks to: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/dual-engine/

A later model was also built. This had two larger capacity 6 cylinder engines placed side-by-side and using Hydramatic automatic transmissions.

[​IMG]

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/dual-engine/

similar info:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/11873/Eisenhauer-s-Five-Axle-Straight-Trucks

27. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

28. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Still more....

From the Bernard Johnson Collection -

[​IMG]

"These Twin Fords were a driver's nightmare to drive! It had 2 throttles 2 clutches 2 main box levers 2 two speed levers, You could rock your foot on the throttles and pull one engine as you shifted the other, He bought them as dump trks. and took them off and put on 5th wheel. Dan Rankin, pictured above, he still has a rig of his own, out of Post Falls, Idaho, He was the one guy that could drive that Twin real good!!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With thanks to Bernard Johnson Collection.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/bernard_johnson.htm

Do any of these twin engined trucks survive?

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

To the best of my knowledge, Byron Carter was the first toe build a two-engine production car. For reference, folks might search CARTER TWIN ENGINE on this thread history.

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Most Overland cars are not ultra-rare, just RARE.
    But, after John North Willys rescued the former
    independent company, Overland, they offered a
    LOT of chasses and bodies! One source says in
    1916, they had FOUR series (#s 75, 83, 84 and 86)
    on FOUR wheelbases (104, 106, 114 and 125, re-
    spectively). Wow. And they offered at least three
    different engines, too! :eek:

That said, below is a very rare Overland hearse --
    in fact, THE ONLY ONE built. Sorry I don't have a
    bigger photo.

[​IMG]

1916 Overland hearse photo, Manitoba Antique Auto
    Museum, Elkhorn, Manitoba, which claims to have the
    largest collection of Overland autos. This one-off hearse
    was built on a 125-inch, which would seem to make it a
    Series 86 and, so, would have probably had a