Register now to get rid of these ads!

WCFB Dual Quad advice/ help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex D., May 19, 2011.

1. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

WCFB Dual Quad advice/ help needed
    I acquired a factory 2 x 4 manifold for my Desoto 330 firedome. It takes the small base Carter WCFB. I cannot locate the correct carburetors and if I could, there probably worth their weight in gold. I do have a matching pair of WCFB’s (2267-S) which I believe are from a 55 Cadillac that I plan on using. I am in the process of rebuilding these carbs . My concern is of them working correctly on a 2x4 setup. I already removed the choke and fast idle cam on the front carb. Is there anything internally that I need to change while I am rebuilding?
    Another question; The small base WCFB has an adjustment screw on the right side of the base which is not found on the large base WCFB. What is this screw and how would it be adjusted?
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe carb king can chime in on this one..... How about a couple pics of the intake??? :)

3. Andy

Andy

I would not use those carbs. The Cad carbs made in 57 and later had secondary flow valves to keep them from bogging at low RPM's. The 55 Cad is a pretty big carb to start with so it won't be a great set up. Try and find some early Buick carbs. They got the secondary flow valves and are small base. They have a long skinny spring on the pass side to hold the secondaries shut.

4. carbking

carbking

If cost and time are not an object, these can be modified to work.

If cost and time ARE an object, I would suggest looking for original carbs. You will spend less time looking for the originals than you will spend modifying these. And you will spend less money on restored originals than you will on the parts used to modify these.

Of course, should you disregard the above advice, all the parts are available from a grumpy old hillbilly in Missouri! ;):D Just bring money! :D

These carbs have an idle air screw. This is basically a metered vacuum leak which you use to adjust the idle.

5. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Well this could probably be another thread. The intake is for a 56 Desoto Adventurer and takes the small base WCFB. The wedge adapter is to compensate for an additional 6 degrees of angle the engine will be sitting in a 52 Plymouth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. 73RR

73RR

What required the engine be on such a severe angle?

7. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

The 55 cad carbs are what I have on hand. I do not know what the cfm rating is but the secondary’s are about 1/8 “ larger than the primary’s compared to the stock single quad. Are there any adjustments that can be made to reduce bogging? Would this be the spring you are referring too and if not, can a spring be added to help hold the secondary’s closed?
    [​IMG]

8. Unless you've got someting VERY different going on with your engine mounting. That "wedge" thingy is not necessary. The correct "angle" is built into the intake...

9. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Carbking

Cost is a major object and that is why I am trying to make do with what I have. . Dual Quads for the Desoto are rare and expensive from what I have seen. :(I am trying to build a Hot Rod on a budget, not restore a six figure Adventurer.:rolleyes: If I can’t get these carbs to work for me, I will go to plan B, a single 4.
    What parts would be needed to modify these that would be more expensive than restored originals?:confused:

10. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

That wedge thingy is needed to get the carburetors level. The engine is sitting high in the frame to clear the steering box and tilted down in the back to avoid a giant hump on the floor and also clear the Master cylinder. A SBC sure would have been much easier. But that would have been no fun.:D

11. dmikulec

dmikulec

These are the carbs that came on my '57 polyhead dual quad setup... dual Carters, 2631S and 2632SA. Both are chokeless:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      224.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      204 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      178.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Is there anyone else?

A little more information. The motor will be bored to 341 specs, 9.25 compression ratio. A Neilson Cam with .425 lift and 270 duration.

13. drifters cc

drifters cc

It looks like you have plenty of room to drill/tap on that original flange for an all together different set of carbs. 390cfm Holleys?

14. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I would also be interested in an answer to this.

15. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

There is plenty of room to drill and tap but not enough room for Holly’s.
    I really would like to keep with the vintage look of the WCFB.

16. George

George

The edelbrock Performer fits, except you need either the funnel spacer or open up the bore holes. The crappy zinc(?:confused:) finish doesn't look all that great or period for that matter. Maybe some AFBs?