Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wayne Dual Overhead Cam Head motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BCR, Oct 4, 2009.

1. BCR

BCR

Does anyone know if this motor survived.

I started a thread with the 54 Wayne mfg catalog I have and this has always been my favorite page.

I wonder what car this went in or if it ever did make it to a car.

I didn't want to bury this question in that thread.

[​IMG]

2. BCR

BCR

3. boldventure

boldventure

Well like I said if I had any $ I'd give a goodly sum for that engine...I don't have any $ yet/now but I do have some new lottery tickets...

4. Finer than a frog hair split three ways! WOW!
    Only reason I had ever been aware of Wayne speed parts is because of the first AMT 51 Chevy coupe kit I bought at around 12 yrs old. Had no idea that he/they had upped the ante to a DOHC conversion. UFB.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe it was built for an attempt at running at Indy. But did not qualify. With luck Dan may have the answers.

6. BCR

BCR

Man, that had to be a ton of work. I have looked at that picture a 100 times thinking about a project of that scale. To cast all those parts and machine them would have taken a huge amount of work and $$.

If it is still around it would be way, way out of my price range.

$1200 in 1954 was a pretty good chunk of change.

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

As far as I can remember the photo is as far as the engine ever got to being completed.My father was enamored with the Mercedes Benz desdromonic(sp) valve mechanism on the MB 300SL cars of the era. He designed and hand built everything you see in the photo.

I think the engine was a part of deal that sold the Chevy patterns, etc. to a fellow in Arizona. The Chevy stuff ended up with Bob Toros who used to work for my Dad and who bought the Venolia pistion business along with Nick Arias Jr., who also worked for my Dad. They set up shop in the back of the Victory Blvd. address in Burbank for a while.

After a while Bob and Nick went on to greater things in the speed equipment industry.

DW

8. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

I just had a thought. I will be seeing Don Ferguson III tomorrow when we arrive at the salt for the final event of the season.

If anyone knows the status, whereabouts or rumors of the DOHC engine he will. I'll ask the questions and post his replies here.

DW

9. boldventure

boldventure

That would be very cool. Thanks, I can't wait to hear!

10. BCR

BCR

Dan, that would be great. Thanks Mike

11. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

Did any one find out where this motor is?

12. Paging Dan!