Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wavy Evan's '40 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Wavy Evan's '40 Coupe

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Love that color.

Rich

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The 39 Deluxe coupe is the best looking Ford ever. The 40 Standard is as good except for the head and taillights, but it's hard to argue sealed beams aren't an improvement.

J. A. Miller likes this.

4. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Agreed!

Anyone know the name of that color?

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. Clean little coupe! Now if there was only a way to retain that column shift with the 5-speed

504640 likes this.
  7. Otto

Otto

Folkstone gray....?

504640 likes this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

Killer stance! :)

9. 50DropTop

50DropTop

Possibly...if I remember there were like 3 shades of gray in '40. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it has a bit of a tan hue to it as well. I really like the color and would like to try and nail it down; may be an option for my coupe build.

Any more votes/input?

10. catdad49

catdad49

Might tee fine! Have been told that the youngsters don't appreciate these coupes. That's OK with me, just means there's more for the ones that do!

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice 40! Appears to be folkstone grey. Folkstone has a bit of a tan cast. Have done a couple of 40's this color.

olcurmdgeon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

A perfect example of , Less is more......Way More!
    Just about as good as it gets!
    KK

13. louisb

louisb

14. 504640

I'm subscribed! The 40 ford coupe (deluxe or standard) has been my favorite car for as long as I have been able to distinguish one car from another; it has been the only favorite car I have ever had! jimmie.jpg
    And yes, I believe Wavy's standard is Folkstone Gray, as is Jimmie Vaughn's deluxe, pictured above. Can you give us and update on it, Ryan. What a great feature it would be comparing 2 Folkstone gray 40 coupes, both Tardel flathead powered, coming out of the same shop. Although so very much alike, they are different. From my perspective they would represent the best of my most highly coveted car!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    olcurmdgeon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fly'n Kolors, Tim, bowie and 2 others like this.
  16. The stance is perfect.

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

gotta love a 40

Fly'n Kolors and 504640 like this.
  18. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

To me, the Standard grille with seal beams looks just great. The Vertex mag is a neat touch. All around, stance, colors and engine this car was done 'right'.

lothiandon1940 and 504640 like this.
  19. Very nice car, however I'm sure magic Keith will make it even look and run better.

20. 504640

This car is replete with details, I bet. Note that the magneto is in the place of a 8ba distributor, while the heads take water into the center, like a 59a. Dig the subtle, thin blue pinstripe on the front wheel!

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

It isn't likely that the 5-speed column shift mechanism's bits and pieces from an early 1960s vintage Alfa Romeo 2600 Berlina could be easily adapted to a '40 Ford with a T-5, but knowing that such a thing exists (and works rather nicely, I must say) might provoke a talented fabricator to try to come up with a way to make something like that work in a '40.

And man, that would be a special kind of cool. In a car with a bench seat a column shifter doesn't get in the way when a certain somebody decides to slide over a little closer during a slow, relaxed, late-night cruise.

MUNDSTER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

subtle, refined yet says hot rod in capital letters. A grand car!

MUNDSTER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, man. It's got an elegant simplicity about it. It still has all of the appropriate shiny metal bits including the door handles that are right there where they were intended to be, by God. Its gentlemanly wheels are done just right with the color that matches the body, old-school hub caps, trim rings and those oh-so-subtle pin stripes on each wheel.

Under the hood rests a sanitary built-up flathead that just plain looks right nestled in there. The V-8 is properly dressed and detailed, and while it certainly isn't the most powerful thing ever snuggled under a '40 Ford's bonnet it clearly has everything it needs to bring a smile to your face.

The interior hasn't been butchered or uglified. It looks like it belongs in the car because, of course it does. The dash, the seat, the door panels, the bits and pieces of hardware and heck, even the door welting welcomes you in through the door. It whispers to you in a soft, comforting voice saying, "It's okay. You can trust me. I'm real."

As somebody else already mentioned, the stance ... well, what can I say? The builder who set that just flat nailed it. It couldn't be more perfect.

I can't fault a single thing I see on the car. It might not be exactly the way I would have built a '40 Ford coupe, but that said, I don't think I'd change a thing on it other than to install that T-5 and maybe try to find somebody who could build me a column shift mechanism to go with it that uses the stock shifter handle.

24. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

It was my son's favorite at the recent car show in Drippin......

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Further proof that you don't need a bunch of chrome and a flashy paint job to have a great car. You just have to do your homework. VERY nice.

MUNDSTER, lothiandon1940 and 504640 like this.
  26. 504640

I was perhaps just a little older than your son when I made the decision a 40 Ford coupe was to be my all-time favorite car, but not nearly as handsome as he!
    Thanks for the pic. I discovered an even more subtle detail: the thin blue pinstripe has an even thinner pinstripe on the inside of the blue one. Just a shade darker that the wheel color, it is barely discernible.

27. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Yeah, the magneto location and the centered water necks had me scratchin' my head. You guys know something I don't?