Register now to get rid of these ads!

water pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesperkins416, Feb 19, 2012.

1. I have a 1987 Lincoln roller motor and the water pump outlet is on the driver side. If I buy a water pump for a 1968 sbf with the outlet on the passenger side will it bolt up to the timing cover?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I recall ( did this a few years ago), it requires the matching timing cover/housing.

Ray

3. So it would probably be cheaper to buy a new radiator with the outlet on the driver side.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would try another radiator,years ago I made up a hose that crossed over when I put a 70s 302 in a 64 falcon and it looked a little cheesy but worked.

5. thats my problem the hose is ugly as s*(^&%t, but the radiator I have in the car looks like brand new and hate to spend $200 on a radiator when new water pump is $20.

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What about moving the neck?

7. Andamo

Andamo

What about finding a shop that'll move the pipe to the other side of the rad and then plug off the original outlet ?

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

What adamo said or use an early cover and pump.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The timing cover isn't all that expensive. Especially if you can find a good used one. The only potentially difficult thing about changing it is being careful and try to not damage the pan gasket when you remove the old front housing.

Worse case scenario, you drop the pan too and install a new gasket.

Ray

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I believe the timing cover set comes with the pan gasket section. If not, buy a pan gasket and just replace the part on the timing cover.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think you can..I went the opposite; 67 front cover to 69 pump and it sealed up but you have to decipher what gaskets to use..The fan flange may not end up in the right place throwing your pulley alinement out..I would just make a neat crossover if present waterpump works ok..