Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Water pump pulley sizes (V belt-Long pump)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Nov 13, 2016.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I'd like to spin the water pump quicker on my 69' Chevy engine.
    My present stock pulley (Still on car) measures just over 6" (About 6-1/4)...
    Is there a 5- 51/2 inch available?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Classic Industries sell 5 3/8 to suit LWP but why is it needed?

Chucky likes this.
  3. Check out Summit, Speedway, March, they all have lots of different sizes.

4. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I punched in 5-3/8 water pump pulley... Nothing @ Classic Industries
    March performance has a 5-1/2" Billet pulley ($$$)... No billet for my motor!

5. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Runs below 180 while cruising & at high speed, but gets hot (220plus) in Florida traffic... w/antifreeze mix. Temperature Sender is mounted on Intake... only 2,000 miles on the motor & it is Jetted correctly.
    Has aluminum radiator, tried 195-180-160 thermostat, with or w/o hood...Mild build Gen I small block in 41' Willys.

Attached Files:

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

If it cools moving and heats up in traffic, I think you need a better shroud.

mad mikey and Just Gary like this.
  7. walt j

walt j

Do you have fan off water pump or electric fan, pull or push

8. i put a smaller pulley on my water pump. short water pump. 5 3/4" . i don't know what it came off of, it was in my pile of stuff but i was told to look for early ac cars. solved the same problem.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I run a 160 degree thermostat down here in Q'ld and it gets DAMN hot. I use a thick cored bass radiator with full hood and sides and no engine fan but a 1600cfm pusher fan behind the grill shell, wired to come on when it gets warm, with temperate fitting at front of left cylinder (Can't remember temperature to be honest). Sits on 160-180 degrees all day long and goes up to 200+ degrees in stop start traffic with a V-belt, LWP and standard diameter large pulleys. Plus I run the OEM splash apron under radiator, it forces through radiator, and no gaps around the edges of radiator core. I also put a few reverse louvres in the side panels between fender and chassis, similar to 33-34 Ford panels. These allow hot air in the engine compartment to escape and aid in air flow. 15yrs now and still consistent performance.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  10. X2 what ago said.
    Your problem is not insufficient water flow, it's insufficient *air* flow.

11. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Ditto. Need a larger cfm fan

12. if he is using a mechanical fan he will be increasing the air flow. spinning the fan faster is what solved my problem.