Register now to get rid of these ads!

Watch yer Nut's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phukinartie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. phukinartie

phukinartie

Well, the wife and I had a close call today. I fired up the '50 Plymouth convertable to hit some garage sales and tool around. BTW ( this is a o/t car, bare with me). Farting around we decided to stop by a friends Photo gallery, met some new local people (small town) had a Mayberry type visit and was on our way for lunch. The wife wanted to drive 50 miles up to Mt. St Helen's, grab a burger and such. Normally that would not be a prob., but a noise I had been neglecting ( thought it was a rock in the tire, waiting for the ping-wakkitta-plink) caused me a uneasy feeling, so as we crossed the I-5 overpass felt a shimmy and heard some clunking. Slowing down to the shoulder out of traffic I stopped to take a look. Bugged by traffic, and not seein anything, I thought I would pull up to a safer spot 300 yds away. Pulling away from the shoulder my rt/rear tire falls off. ( 9" wide tire, stuffed look). Slowly pulling away, saved the fender and body damage. A while ago I put a scissor Jack in the back and forgot about it. I didn't have my usual tools because it was a local trip. Traffic on the overpass was hectic, the wife was out behind the car to make sure on comming traffic would see us. A couple we had just met pulled over to help and I got the wheel off. Discovering 3 busted studs, luckily 2 were not stripped and I could put the wheel on safely enough to get out of the way of traffic to call for a tow truck.... The Moral of the Story, always listen to the nagging thought in the back of your head, and Les Schwab backs up what they say.

2. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Nice - I've experience the same thing with my 62 Nova. The 2 studs left were next to each other and it had a locker in it at the time which made it even more of an interesting ride.

3. RichG

RichG

Les Schwabs has a bad habit of not calibrating their guns, I've had them check my lugnuts before, INSISTED that they check them by hand with a real torque wrench, only to find out they're not tight enough. I've also had them pull lugs too, they even broke one right there on the lift in front of me, Magilla Gorilla just whamming away with the gun...

I'm sure other tire stores have the same problems too:D

4. RichG

RichG

At one of their stores they had a gadget hanging on a post that they would put the gun on and dial it in...I don't know how it worked, I just know what I saw, heck, maybe they were just screwin' with people, I don't know:D

I've lost two wheels thanks to Schwabbies, and my uncle lost one too, up out of Carson in the dead of winter. I don't trust 'em anymore..."Well, your tires look okay, but you need a whole new front end, and your transmission needs to be rebuilt too, and your..."

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

torque sticks are great...
    on another note, les schwab is a joke.

6. phukinartie

phukinartie

Well guys Schwabs made it right they paid the tow bill and fixed the studs no charge and are paying for the fender. I am in the service industry as well we all make mistakes,But the biggest thing is making it right THEY DID !! They will still get my bidnetts....Word

7. rick finch

rick finch

Hmmm, I see a trend here! I had a set of original cast American 5 spokes on my '59 Biscayne. Les Scwab mounted some new tires all around, the wife & I are on I-80 heading for Reno and I feel a "wobble" on the right front. I pulled off the freeway and found 3 studs & lug nuts missing, poof....GONE! Yeah they made good, but they had one hell of a time replacing an original cast American 5-spoke!