Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Watch out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, Sep 14, 2019.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys,

I have been working on cars for more than 50 years and have the usual gouges, scrapes, and minor cuts to prove it, but none of them ever needed stitches. Well today working on my daily driver pick up and attempting to cut out Fords idea of F350 body bushings I had a cut off wheel get away from me and and it kicked out and caught me right in the forehead. Now this is all my fault and I admit that up front, but wanted to share this as a lesson that it can and will happen to ANYONE of us. I had the guard off, wasn't wearing a full face shield, was laying on my back, yada yada... point is I am a lucky boy as the only things that suffered were my forehead, my ego, and my good looks! Well ok, my forehead and ego! My poor wife on the other hand probably lost a couple years off her life! I guess the sight of a loved one walking in from the garage holding his head in his hands covered in blood saying "we need to go to the hospital right now!!" will do that to you! The whole point I am getting at is please, please, be cautious. We do this stuff so much we don't really think of all the things that can possibly go wrong when we work on our projects and a lot of time we take safety for granted. I promise I will be doing things a bit differently going forward.

20190914_184214[1].jpg

2. Man, that could have been so much worse, glad your OK and it was just your forehead, Thank God. HRP

3. Slopok

Slopok

OUCH! You were very lucky, could've been much worse.

GordonC, Lil32, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Holy crap!.... :confused:
    Glad your ok.....

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yep that sucks...Glad your'e Ok. Head wounds bleed like a bastard, Had 12 staples in my scalp a few years back. The good news is you don't need a Halloween outfit:p

GordonC, Lil32, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool!
    Chick's dig scars
    Glad you're OK , you're right it could happen to anyone

GordonC, pitman, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  7. Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world.

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper

Glad you're OK. That's bad enough, but it could have been much worse. Had one get away from me awhile back and the back of one of my fingers looked a lot like your forehead. Took less than a split second too...and done.
    Battle scars are cool though, aren't they?:cool:

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like the Mississippi. Tattoo some states around it.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Full frontal lobotomy. At least Halloween is around the corner right? Dude, glad you are alright!

lumpy 63, GordonC, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  11. Ouch, my head is hurting just looking at it.
    On the bright side. You can go as Gorbachev this Halloween, da?

lumpy 63, GordonC, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  12. Too close to that eye.PPE all the time,it only takes a second to protect or damage.

13. Road Racer

Road Racer

Be careful with grinders! My good friend had the wheel come apart and run up his chin, across his lips, and into his nose. Horrible. Did not heal that well. Wear proper protection, this is a reminder to myself as well.

On another note, I was trying to get one of my dogs out from under a rogue Mexican Palm that sprouted in our yard and laid my head open like yours. Once I heal that @#@ tree is gone!

chryslerfan55, GordonC, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  14. 1ton

1ton

A thin coat of bondo and some 100 grit, you'll be just as handsome as before.

15. LM14

LM14
    from Iowa

Had one grab and kick back a few years ago and travel up the center of my thumb nail and alongside the bone. Was dirty and ugly. Had just snowed so I packed it in snow, called the wife and told her to meet me at the back door so she could drive me to the ER. In my haste I forgot to tell her why we were going to the ER. She's a nurse and after seeing I wasn't going to die from it, she kind of made me wish it was an option at the time. Still have fibers work out of it from time to time.
    SPark

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad your okay as well. You be a rugged bad boy now. :D

17. Wear a cup also... My neighbor/friend was using a chop saw when the blade exploded...

Piece flew towards him and cut half his weenie off...

Mom had to tell the kids that she had to take dad to hospital and they wanted to know why, Embarrassment ! ! ! True story.

Glad the OP is ok though !

chryslerfan55, GordonC, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  18. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

That's not going to buff out, glad your OK.

GordonC, Lil32, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I bet it whistles in the wind at 55 miles an hour.:)

GordonC, Lil32, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. Another safety note..

Don't put the sawz all on a chair with the cord in such a way that your foot garbs it and pulls it off the chair and down the side of your leg..

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, GordonC, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  21. adam401

adam401
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Narly stitches and your hair is still perfect. A true hotrod gentleman. Glad you're ok.

GordonC, Lil32, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I was using a powerful angle grinder on a piece of stock in the vise and of course there was no guard over that hard disk. Wearing jeans and T shirt and it kicked back into my belly where it left swirl marks that lasted 2-3 years before they faded out.
    Now if I'm working in the shop I wear bib overalls for at least a little protection.
    Another grinder issue is when people leave the grinder on the floor or the bench with the hard disk down. Mighty easy to crack the disc and have it come apart on startup when it's cracked when you leave it with disc down.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, why were you doing what you were doing?

24. I always wear eye protection, but am now going to wear a full face shield. Because of the thinner wheels, I have always been more cautious with the smaller grinders as opposed to the 10 inch grinders, but the smaller grinders are so damn handy. I did catch and break a 10 inch cutoff wheel, but other than the wheel needing to be trashed, no other damage was done.
    My only other experience with a problem like this, is that I had a high quality, brand new Souix valve grinding stone explode on me. Luckily, I was wearing protection and wasn't injured, but it did scare the crap outta me. It exploded like a grenade, and there were pieces of grinding stone everywhere. the largest remaining piece, was a piece about 3/8ths of an inch cubed.
    I am very cautious around all grinding stones now.
    Bob

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

THATS gonna leave a mark

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Glad that you're ok.

27. chrisp

chrisp

It's a good thing that you have a thick skull.

You got very lucky.
    A friend of mine wears a beard now because of such an accident.
    I had an accident with a cut-off wheel a faulty extension cord and my leg, I was lucky it was my leg and not my 3 piece set.

chryslerfan55, GordonC, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  28. It's gonna leave a cool scar...One day I was working on the inner quarter panel on the rear of my trusty old 70 elcamino. Had the back tire off and I was sitting on the ground in the wheel well running a 7 inch grinder with a cone-wire brush on it. Had it over my head with a protective stocking cap on when it caught. Naturally I had the switch locked "on"so when it caught and leaped out of my hands, it fell down on my head, wire brushing my noggin. I was assholes and elbows trying to get it off me while trying to squirm out of that hole!!! That thing beat the be-Jesus out of me before I could get out and pull the cord out of the wall! Now wonder I have so little hair.

29. The problem with your episode, is that I can imagine it happening. Gives me the willies.
    Bob

chryslerfan55, GordonC and Lil32 like this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Would that be "Little Jim" and the twins?????..... ;)

chryslerfan55 and GordonC like this.