Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wasp/hornet removal under a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsdawg, Aug 21, 2013.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What are some of the best methods to kill them.
    I am picking up a old car tomorrow that has sat
    For a while in the weeds. Lots of wasps flying around.

2. 2racer

2racer

3. mlagusis

mlagusis

The wasp spray that reaches 20 feet is good. After blasting the car with that take it and pressure wash it

When I picked up my 58 Edsel, it sat outside for 6 months before I bought it. Tons of wasp nests were formed during that time. When I was draining the gas tank, I was laying under the car and I noticed something moving from the corner of my eye. I turned to look at it and about 3" from my face was a huge wasp nest and they started climbing out of there when the gas fumes hit them. Luckily I was not attached.

4. Hot shot ( I think raid makes it) you can squirt from about 30 feet away of you want, just hose 'em they drop instantly.

5. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

Throw a tarp over it, weight down the edges and bug bomb the whole thing.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

cover it with a tarp and set off a bug bomb underneath, kill em all! :eek:

edit: Y-oh-Y do you type faster than me!

7. Friggin flying insects (bees) are really bad around here this year. If you can find the nests, spray them early in the morning when it's cooler and they aren't flying around as much. Otherwise the tarp/bug bomb thing.....

8. George

George

Set an Olympic Record coming out from under there?:D

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

No kidding.

10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Was going to suggest a flame thrower, but I have to admit the bug bomb might be better for the car. I had a big nest in the yard so I put on my ski-doo suit, helmet, boots, gloves and sealed up the neck. I went out and the plan was to bag the whole nest and take it away. Was pretty cool cause I could feel them divebombing the suit and helmet. Being summer though, the helmet fogged up on me and when I got back, I found out I had dropped the next and had to do it all over. By then most of them were on the warpath so I had to spray them anyway. No stings though.

11. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

... hope none of the apiary guys that have been losing so many bees these last few yrs read this...

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

Hopefully you don"t have it this bad. Tarping and bug bomb the best way to go. Wait till late evening to do it so they will all be there.:cool:

Attached Files:

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Wasps get asthma really fast.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  14. Weasel

Weasel

15. Holy fark batman.. I would leave town.

I helped a buddy dispose of a football-size wasp nest years back. It was in a tree just off his front steps. We waited until dark, wrapped some old rags around a stick, soaked in lamp oil. Lit it up, smoked the nest for a while. He held a big plastic bag under it, I knocked it loose with a long stick. Went like surgery, just perfect. He closed up the bag and left it by the curb for the garbage man.

Bob

16. larry k

larry k

Brake cleaner for the normal size nest, instant kill,no flying, but if you gota big one like the picture, ,,,??flame thrower...

17. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the same problem with my Model A Sedan sitting behind my house. I used the "jet" spray Ace Hardware brand Wasp killer with much success. I do not like the "foaming" kind.

I think they are on sale all month for $.99 per can.

18. oldolds

oldolds

Hook it up in the dark. Move it in the light. They stay in thier nest at night. That is the time to spray them if you want to do that. Move it in the afternoon, when most are out. They will not follow.

19. I forgot about the smoke trick. That's pretty damn good advice. In the case of that '55, I'd say a Molotov cocktail would work just fine. :D

Maybe even charge them rent. They'll move right out...

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Holy mother of god :eek:

I would think one can of raid would be a feeble attempt at best! I would assume the flame thrower idea would come into play here.

to the OP, raid for smaller nests in line of sight, bug bomb and tarp for all the others (especially under the dash)

21. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

If you apply for a government grant for relocating homeless bees i'm sure that Obama's friends will happy to supply you with trucks, tents and bottled water for their happy journey.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Carb spray right after sunset.
    As for your issue, a bug bomb under the car,,,,,,right after sunset

23. elba

elba

starter fluid knocks them out like right now

24. williebill

williebill

Had this problem a few years ago, but didn't know it 'til I got my new field car into the garage late one night. Went into the garage the next evening, it looked like a sci-fi horror movie with all the little evil bastards flying around. I swear there were so many wasps and hornets in the air that you couldn't see the other side of the garage. Locked the door, went upstairs, and waited a few days. Got damn hot in that building before I put a/c in, a few days later they were all dead on the floor, the car, every shelf and surface in there.
    Too bad they didn't have any scrap value, I swept up pounds of dead stinging fuckers.
    Passive mass murder worked for me.

25. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I'm done personally with pesticides, carb cleaner, brake clean, bug spray, even gasoline.
    After 40 years of ingesting this stuff I have no tolerance for it anymore.
    I've got asthma, COPD, whatever, too. I'm not the only old mechanic that has this problem.
    Yes I know I have to come in contact with hydrocarbon-based substances to be a mechanic.
    However, you don't need to pull out the nukes for wasps. Bees, either. You can smother them with a mixture of water and liquid tide or equiv in a super soaker gun.
    There's a tendency to go wild with these critters flying around, the smelly hcs end up everyhere.
    Soap and water doesn't kill you, too.
    Google " smother wasps with soap and water".

26. Car Fox

Car Fox

When I come accross a hornets nest I hit it with PB Blaster I just stand there and watch them just keep dropping.

27. Snake hit

Snake hit
    from calif. LA

Ask them nicely to leave , if not wait till dawn and saturate them with carb cleaner, they don't like that shit! If you can't stand that stuff fling a can of thinner on them, if that's not good the best I've used is 3M adhesive spray, they can't move it also clogged the entrance of the nest. Works great on black widow nests also. I'm a real chicken shit when it comes to bugs and insects.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I use carb clean if I can see the nest. It works great and a can lasts many times longer than Raid or other wasp bombs. Plus I almost always have some with me in the truck tool box.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wasps, nature's original anti theft device. I'd be inclined to go real early in the morning armed with a big tarp and a couple of bug bombs intended for wasps and tarp, bomb and go for breakfast or at least coffee and then pull the tarp off and load up the car.

I have made a run into town for wasp spray "after" I got stung inside a truck cab in a wrecking yard and then figured out why the pristine part I wanted was still in that truck.

30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Dragged an old hydroplane home on a cloudy saturday afternoon.Sunday it was sunny and hot and what a surprise I had in the driveway.The whole right sponson was a honeycomb and bees were everywhere. Got my coveralls on hooded sweatshirt,hat and gloves,got three can bombs going after covering with a tarp.They dripped out of the hole like water and I had to shovel up the pile.
    Use a tarp that covers right to the ground and let them have it!! Works all the time