Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Washington State Hot Rodding Legends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by van's rod shop, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SHANTZ

SHANTZ
    from Surrey

You're absolutely right... I just did a quick Google Image Search... my bad... thanks for looking that up.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How about master metal man Alyn Swedberg, he has done so much good work for so long. I have never met him, but I have heard great things about him.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Russ worked on the madam fifi back in the early 60's, it was one of car crafts top 10 of i belive 1961, and he's still at it, working part time with his relitives at divers street rods, the same shop that did the rambler that won the '08 Ridler. Friendly, good guy, and does some really nice old style work

4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I lived in Spokane area for 24 years until 1999 when I returned to CA. Claude built quite a few hot rods, always awesome quality drivers anyone would be proud to drive. His son Russell carries on the spirit and has built standout hot rods. Sue drove her Model 40 coupe many many miles for many years. 'Sorry to hear that he is gone.

5. Russ was awarded Washingtons Hotrod hall of Fame last year and he deserves every bit of it. His personal projects always comes second to his families, friends and others. He is very generous with his time which may be a bit of his downfall. I once asked him if he would put on a hammer welding class and he was shocked that we would be interested in it. He use to do a class for free at the Goodguys car show but it seemed to him that people weren't interested in it any more. So we gathered 8 people together and I told everyone that it was a donation of $30. At least it would give Russ some play money. Russ did not want to charge a cent. He was just going to put it on to share his knowledge. When we arrived, he had a classroom set up and taught us the basics for 2 1/2 hours. In all he got $240 and was tickled pink that he actually had people donate. He is one stand up guy and is one of the last true metal artisans. The cars he works on at Divers are all big dollar half a million dollar cars and up!!! He also has really had a tough time with his wife that has Diabetes and many ailments but he is always by her side. He spends alot of hours , days weeks , years taking care of her and always is helping others. Yet his car that he is working on has taken over 15 years so far to build. Yet he has built his son a total custom GMC pickup that has won many awards and was on the front page of Trucking magazine, won the the End of the world big car show at Ocean shores WA. And then built an incredible 1937 Chevy coupe for him in less than a year in his garage. These were also build while working at Divers streetrods during the day.
    I have only known Russ for about 8 years but if I could be only be half as talented and nice, people would call me a saint.

6. U-235

U-235

Bob Jasper. Jaspers Custom Auto Upholstery
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Classic style, and nothing left to lose.

Real old time Tuck n Roll and a Washington Legend....

7. Brandi

Brandi

He's just about the nicest guy you could ever meet. I had the pleasure hanging with him and his wife on a weeklong tour with Fosses Hot Rods. Took his '40 ragtop down dusty, muddy fire roads and just had a great time.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He used to find or make time to do a short seminar at the Unfinished Nationals back when It was held in Graham but I haven't been to event since it moved to Elma so I don't know if he is still involved with it. Those sessions were one of the high points of the weekend for a lot of guys who sat through them.

9. scythe

scythe

Then you have to mention Earl Poage. Raced dragsters

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Earl Poage was mentioned in #101, how about Gordon Craig who drove the Cog's' Old Lady Trouble' and his own "The White Tornado" gas dragsters.

11. scythe

scythe

Ya, I should have kept reading but I already posted. :)

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Like I said in another thread about old tmers, I am currently sitting in a very expensive
    office chair that Pappy Hartman gave me many moons ago...
    I used to do most of the machine work on his Pontiac engine.
    A real great guy.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Anybody remember Kenny McCandless,he raced a beautiful 41 Willys coupe A/GS, blown big block Chevy. It was street legal and ran in the eights I believe. Good racer and all around good guy.

14. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I do Marty. He lived in the Seattle area. Took on an illness that ended his life in the late 80's I believe.
    Mike

15. You nominated Dick Kalivoda, I know Dick and see him around, happened to see him @ a car show at the XXX Rootbeer in Issaquah, just a week ago. Here is Dick behind the wheel of my Crusty Cruiser #2. Said his wife was in ill health.

Attached Files:

16. x3.

17. w2zero

w2zero
    from Ruston

Al (RIP)and Carl Swindahl who raced boats and then built and raced the blue Swingers car, Dick Perry (RIP), Pirates Racing Team, John Burgin, Day & Nite Speed Center, Bob Haines, Jack Cross (RIP), Bill Woolms (RIP), (Rich Rogers), Clark Marshall (never did return my model steam engine), Drags at Shelton, Bay View, Arlington Puyallup, Ivan Engh

rumor has it that there is a lot of bare scalp and white haired racers gathering the first Wed monthly In South Hill Puyllup at Old Country Buffet for brunch. Yeah, you get a senior discount..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  18. NOAH324

NOAH324

Wow...moving to Tacoma next week and stumbled across this post. Made my day to read about all the talent and hot-rod enthusiasm hiding up there. Look forward to meeting some of you. Look for a tattooed jerk-off in a black '36 coupe.
    Cheers!

19. nwheels

nwheels
    from Washington

Alyn has been a family friend for many years. Somewhere I have pictures of he and I using some of the machines in his shop for a book I did for school. He does some of the best work I have seen.

20. Kenny is alive and kicking, currently building an injected rat powered Henry J that is nearing completion, oh and this one will be driven as well on the street. As for the health issues nothing that numerous valves and lines replaced around the heart took care of.

21. Android314

Android314

Dick Page, Bob Davidson, Al Swindel, and 15 years of cruise night on Hosmer in T-Town. Life is sooo good...

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Tom, It sounds like quite a car Kenny is building. Tell him hi for me.
    Marty

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Good to hear that Kenny McCandless is still around. I bought a Willys coupe project from him (his son's) that he was building. This was in the '80's.

24. 123

from Seattle

Just saw this on youtube tonight. It was linked to another video I was watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXn9tlTnfFw&feature=related

RAD!
    I missed most of this show (long day of car shows ...and shootings) we didn't get there until after most of the cars left.

It was good to see you and BS a little bit out at the Graham swapmeet, Tom.

Nikki says hi...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. JKH

JKH
    from seattle wa

I had the pleasure of doing work for Jack , till the day he passed.
    His place was a step back in history under the layers.
    His Hemi powered sprint car was something .
    Here is a decal from his place.

Attached Files:

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Jack's wife Bobbie introduced him to me in the early 50's.
    He drove for me one summer when I had a broken arm.
    I went to grade school with Bobbie.

28. I remember the "Madame Fifi" When i lived in the Seattle area. Also remember Dougs Racing Stables, I think they ran a black Deuce Roadster in B/SR and had a black 40 Ford SD with their logo on the side, I think, could be wrong, was a LONG time ago!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  29. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

FOX Garage in bremerton... used to go there as a kid; I'll try to dig up some names...

30. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

123, you are a lucky man, LOL...