Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Washington State Hot Rodding Legends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by van's rod shop, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Bill Crow, Pappy Hartman, Bill Hartman. Olympia

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I am sitting in a chair that Pappy Hartman gave me in the 60's.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Marshal is on pot??

4. Brandi

Brandi

No longer an Oldtimer, but one of their runs was on his show a billion years ago and, in typical OT fashion, was hilarious!

5. Did a search for the TV show.
    Nothing on You Tube.
    Anyone got an idea.
    It sure would be cool to see the show.
    I musta missed it when it was on -

6. 123

from Seattle

Who remembers this one?

[​IMG]

7. Leslies was a restuarant in Lakewood. Was a boring cruise night deal back in the day. I never went. Drove by a few times. Never entered.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy howdy a lot of those names bring out memories of going to Car shows in the 60's with my dad or going to the races at SIR, Puyallup drag strip or the old Sea-Tac raceway on Sunday night before he stuck me back on the ferry to ride back to my mom's on Bainbridge Island.
    We ( dad and I) used to have breakfast at Inie's (sp?) Cafe on the road out through the valley between Renton and Kent on Saturday & Sunday mornings and it was the place where a lot of racers stopped for breakfast on their way to the drags. It was also the place I had breakfast on the first morning after I got back from Viet Nam in Dec 68.

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think it was spelled Inez's (cafe). It was on the main drag through the valley (E.valley hiway). This is before 167. I went to high school (K-M) with her daughter (Sharon). She became Gary Parmenter's wife. Rue- Parmenter and Krohn. Early drag race stars in the (Kent) area.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Mr48chev and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Cool people in Olympia???? Strange

11. Continuing with the Olympia area we can add the names of Terrell and Earl Poage The Cope brothers arriving in the NW early 60's and over the mountains towards Tri-City Dale Greer

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jerry Ruth was a 1957 Kent- Meridian grad.

13. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Anybody ever see Larry Curry from Tacoma lay down pin-stripes? He was an interesting old coot - had a wood frame / fabric covered airplane in his shop in Tacoma along with all manner of other odd stuff. He striped a car for me in 1981 when I was just out of HS (another KM grad :D )

And Dick Ewing built engines in Auburn - helped me get my 49 pickup down the 1/4 mile at SIR in the low 13's.

14. Vendome

Vendome

Sandy Lovelace?.....Bought my first (and only!) dragster from him. Chassis originally built by Strode Brothers in Redmond. Sold that chopped Merc in my avatar to Paul Harper about 1978. Took him all day and a case of Rainier to get it....night shot in front of Brass Bucket Tavern in Cle Elum.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  15. kellyztrukz

kellyztrukz

Are you talking about Bob and Loyd Cope? They raced a fueler in the 60's. Loyd passed several years ago one hell of nice guy, Bob is still around and living in Longview.

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

Larry Curry had a 3/4 scale Nazi Stuka dive bomber in his garage that he had built. He told me a story about a customer finding out about this after the fact (they were Jewish). He was ordered off their property. GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!! Understandable, but still funny.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Larry Curry had a 3/4 scale Nazi Stuka dive bomber that he had made in his shop. He had a customer find out about this after the fact. He came out to do some business with them and they ordered him off their property (they were Jewish). GET OUT!!! Understandable but still funny.

18. The Longview Cope's helped with Ron Gorans

Tacoma Cope's Don and Jerry

Another name forgotten would be Jerry Harris Chassis "Rapidville Speed Center"

19. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Anyone remember Ronnie Gomms? Gotcha?

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Some big names I forgot to mention previously.
    Jack Conner (Jack Conner Speed Shop)
    Al Cooper (Al Cooper Speed Shop)
    Frank Cooper (Frank Cooper Speed shop) No relation to Al Cooper.

Someone mentioned Mel Anthony, (who is 87 years old and still racing vintage midgets)...He has written a book called "Smoke Sand And Rubber".
    Anyone interested can PM me for the info.

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Lincoln Johnson.... Anyone?

22. k-member

k-member

Or what ever happened to Denny Olson Hot-Rods by Denny up around enumclaw I think. He was the first one to ever put a crusty A body on a new chassis. Made the cover of street rod back in 82 or something.

23. k-member

k-member

Can't leave out Magoo.

24. Brandi

Brandi

Still building in Enumclaw. He was at Mild to Wild. Just finished a crazy gofast racecar.

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

What about Gary Ebert? Pin striper, sign painter, graphic artist extraordinaire.

26. k-member

k-member

Nice good to hear that.

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Try www.diversstreetrods.com for what he's doing now

28. How about "Extreme Metal and Paint", Chris Odom up in B-ham?
    He's done some very nice work.
    Kinda new guy compared to a lot of guys mentioned here -
    Speaking of the old guys; Someone once said "When you speak their names, you keep their spirits alive". Something like that -
    http://www.extrememetalpaint.com/

29. I'd agree with all those.

Mel mentions in his book a trip to Glen Shaw's machine shop where Mel, just a lad, asked to have two feet chopped off a crankshaft. Glen said they were a precision shop and they worked to the thousandth of an inch. So Mel asked to have the crank shaft chopped at two feet and two thousandths.

Glen Shaw went back to the early 1930s. I have him winning a boat race up here in Canada in 1930. He had big cars that were driven by Swede Smith and Swede Lindskog, amongst others. Also involved in the WMRA as flagman. Built aluminum heads for Continental engines.

And has anyone mentioned Dave Tatom yet? Flatheads. But he got involved way back with the Tom Carstens' Kurtis midget that Allen Heath drove. Then he raced sports cars.

30. lowrd

lowrd

Another good guy, Doug Rice with his Ford coupe. Not only Bonneville and the drags but a daily driver! Talented man.