Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was there ever Caddillac factory S/S?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bdamfino, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I had read years ago Cadillac tried a f/x car, around '62-'63, with lightweight panels etc, but the car or cars were scrapped due to Caddillac's luxury image. I once saw a photo of a ram inducted v12 they had in development as well, so does anyone know if Caddillac wanted to go factory racing in the mid sixties?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It MAY have happened, but I seriously doubt it. I read all the mags of the day and don't recall ever seeing anything like that. Sounds like a bench racing session of "what if" that got passed down as 'it happened'...........my 2 cents

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I've read about and seen pictures of a Cadillac V-12 developed in the 60's but it never got near production. As for an SS or light weight panels I know nothing.

There are drag race cars running today that have 60's and 70's Cadillac motors, and I don't mean nostalgia drags, but rather things like 20-year-old Mustangs with a Cadillac 500.

4. There was a couple brothers in Bel Air Maryland who built a ProMod Caddilac Eldorado in the late 90's. Even with everything possible done in fiberglass, it still came in will overweight and was never competitive.
    The only support they received was from a local Caddy dealership who provided the body shell.

5. Gator

Gator

The only Caddilac 'factory' backed racing I can recall are the early 50's LeMans and Pan American cars. They were quite succesful too.