Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was there ever a successful Flathead FED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Stan never really gets the credit he should he was a holdout in the flat head fuel dragsters he ran them well into the 60's
    according to drag list his best ET was 8.93 @ 167 in '65 it also states he was Bradleys arch rival and beat him 4 out of 5 times that year.
    also in 1965 at Gary Indiana the Drag News Invitaional a 16 car field of fuel dragsters he was the only flathead in the field and won it
    another cool story about Stan @ Great Bend

Attached Files:

2. banjorear

banjorear

Right on, brother!

3. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Support the N.A.A.F.H. for those of you too young, or never read CARtoons, that's the National Association for the Advancement of Flatheads.

4. Car was running a Blown Small Block Chevy this summer.:(

5. The only ones that I remember from days gone by have already been mentioned above....I was at Great Bend the year that Calvin Rice won...My God,that was 54 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Chas(Tinker 51)....see everyone at the Geezers bash in Dec in Dallas(Sachse)..........

6. RAY With

RAY With

I remember them and also there was D. L. Sartin out of the Chatman ranch some where close to Corpus that ran the 180 degree flatty and was awesome sound and won many events in the Texas region. The first big drag races held in Houston at the Ellington AFB was won by the Sanders flatty dragster and I believe they ran against Motor reco belly tank dragster with Hemi power. I believe this was in 1955 but not positive.

7. deadbeat

deadbeat

Hell yeah.Grease & Andrew have done some great stuff with their flat motors.Call it "Kiwi enginuity"! Deadbeat

8. V4

V4

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Flathead Jack from Walnut Creek California still runs a dual engine Flathead FED at nostalgia events at 170 mph. It's truely badass to see this thing go down the strip.

Attached Files:

10. Slightly off the original question.....don't forget about "Jazzy" Jim Nelson & the amazing Fiat, not to be confused with Jim Nelson of Dragmaster...

11. Yea Casey.....this is turning out to be a real good post.

12. Yeah, Casey.....this is turning out to be a real good post.

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

14. Just a few odd flathead powered photos from my collection.

Attached Files:

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Whitey at Tulsa a couple years ago. He had the can in the tank as usual 7's, I heard he has actually been in the low sevens with this car. :cool: [​IMG]

16. boldventure

boldventure

Flathead Jack in santa Cruz this past July.
    Sounded great when they fired it up!

Attached Files:

17. 8-Track

8-Track

Rick Schnells blown flathead FED the "Slider" has the world record of 7.697 / 172mph. He sold it a couple of years ago to Allen Burns and just recently bought it back. There was a article about him in Hop UP magazine
    Heis the "Flathead Guy"

Attached Files:

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

But Whitey does it WITHOUT the blower.:D

19. 8-Track

8-Track

Bob "whitey McDonald does 9.40s without a blower.

20. theBo'B

theBo'B
    from Mesa, Az.

Stan Lomelito - Stan's the man. We'd go down to Kahoka, Mo. where he held the track record on the 1/8th mile. His twin engine had the front block swiss cheesed and the back one had water in it with a piece of inner tube hose clamped over the top of the water necks. After a pass the water swelled up the rubber like balloons. When it went down he was ready for another pass.
    One time the George Schreiber "the Bushmaster" pulled in with a beautiful blown Pontiac rail and broke his record. It was after dark and Stan hustled to the line - he'd apparently tipped the can, because there were 3' tall blue flames out the 12 stacks that pointed straight up. There were no lights past the finish line so when he clicked it off there was silence and darkness.. then an ambulance went down. They pulled the car out of the cornfield, and Stan had his record back.... Later I saw a refined single engine he was sorting out - beautiful! Any pictures?? theBo'B

21. yngrodder

yngrodder

Some more of Stan

[​IMG]

This is the
    This is the Stan Lomelino Twin. We had heard about it but then were told

it never existed. We now know it did. With 3 other twins in 1957 year, we will call this one 10+2. We are also able to include some mechanical info.

This is the Stan Lomelino Twin. We had heard about it but then were told

it never existed. We now know it did. With 3 other twins in 1957 year, we will call this one 10+2. We are also able to include some mechanical info.

22. yngrodder

yngrodder

23. yngrodder

yngrodder

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

25. Rodsshop Fab Shop

Rodsshop Fab Shop

I done all the fab work and welding to restore Jack Thresher's car.I have pictures of just after he dropped it off with me.

26. It would be nice if you could post them.....keep this ol thread alive?

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DGreat history lesson going here.Keep it up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. Let us not forget Elmer "Unsprung" Snyder from Newman, CA, who had a flathead powered FED ready when God invented drag racing and is still at it today! Come see Elmer run at the Eagle Field drags this October.

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

30. awesome thread, and still going