Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Was Henry asleep when the first Chevy Small Block came out ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33sporttruck, Sep 10, 2013.

1. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

One of the very best cars at this years Graffiti Weekend in Roseburg, Or. was an immaculate roadster with a '38 Caddilac V8. He made some really cool headers which exited between the heads.
    Nice '23 Citroen! Change the wheels/tires and it would already have the right look.

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

chevrolet took the sales lead, outsold fords starting in '37, only gave it up a few times through to the recent years

3. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

Without intervention they would be just another dead make. It would be weird calling Gm Cars orphans!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. sales...taxi's...is one thing.....what is there more around today ?

gonna buy me a Lincoln and cruise up and down the road.....

5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Wasn't that how the Cadillac factory did it too?
    tanks
    http://www.mmvc.org/indexfiles/membervehicles/chaffeetank/8.JPG

cars
    http://www.yankeemotors.com/uploads/pics/feedback_9b_01.jpg

I figure they were unwilling to accept the huge load on the cooling system when the ex ports pass thru the block

6. This is starting to get off topic, but I find it ironic that a couple of years ago a Honda Accord had a higher percentage of US made parts than any other brand. (I believe it was 94 % US made) Toyota Camry was second.

7. jesse1980

jesse1980

I don't believe that.

8. chrisp

chrisp

The very first V8 was made by Clement Ader (airplane pilot pioneer in 1890) in 1903 for the Paris-Madrid race, then in 1905 Darracq produced a V8 car, then in 1910 it was the turn of De Dion Bouton to make a v8 car up to 14.7 Liter (897 ci) and it was the last french v8 until the mid 30's with Chenard & Walker (not counting Ford SAF, Matford or Simca)
    All the first production v8 cars until Ford made his own had the same problem : production cost.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

My grandfather used to tell me about the early Chevrolet V8's. He started working for Chevrolet when WWI ended. He said the were the noisiest thing on the road, sounded like a thrashing machine and were a pain in the ass to work on.

10. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

Sure, Dan, the Caddy exhausts originally exited between the heads, but they didn't have the headers he had. Really drew attention to it.

11. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Another problem they had was the rod bearings didn't hold up very well. My father said replacement bearings were hard to get so they put Whippet bearings in the Chevy's. The journals were too small. His 2 brothers and he ran a Chevy dealership. When they got a new '17 V8 car, they chopped it up and made a wrecker. What power it had!!

12. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

1927 Chevrolet Surpassed FoMoCo in sales