Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Was Ava Gardner A Whore?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not for long

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

I recall a fellow Hamber who once gave a youngster good advice regarding a trophy wife vs the girl next door: "Sometimes it's better to give up a little top end for drivability."

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Damn good advice

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, this seems to be this year's biggest complaint, one that I understand. But the analogy might be an actor or director winning an Oscar. A director might be essentially making the same basic film over and over (Woody Allen, Hitchcock, et. al.), and he is finally given the award as much as a tribute to his body of work as to the actual film he wins it for.
    And that seems to be where most of us are on this thing, it's what the Boss is saying. We know real beauty when we see it, the trophy (or lack thereof) does not change that. But I would submit that given the choice between a world with a Riddler and an AMBR, and one without, or one with Oscars and one without, I would take having them. The show is cool, the buzz is good.

i.rant likes this.
  6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

More awards should be given to people that do most of there own work on there cars, and do it for the reason that they just love doing it.

cully33 likes this.
  7. this always puzzled me;
    should the award be for the car, and stay with the car? or should it be for the guy that built/restored it? if it is for the guy that did the work shouldn't the condition of what he started with be considered?
    should the owner get the trophy, wether he bought it like that or built/ had it built like that?

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes a lot of effort to prep a car for a show. Builder, owner, buyer, doesn't matter. It's an experience that really can get you that "Ava Gardner" analogy, but also much closer to a one night stand. I get why Ryan's wheelhouse doesn't include em. The winner? I didn't see it in person so I can't say "...like he always builds..." or not. There must have been something well beyond his signature black/flamed finishes as the award isn't something to take lightly. Why do it at all? Street creds, plain and simple. It's a pedigree. It's been historically documented to be the best by it's peers for the year. I think it's a one-time-only award too, isn't it? Not qualified to make that call as I don't know. My clients have enjoyed 4 one-time-onlys, 3 of them on just 1 car (!) and I'll tell you that the burns, scars, blurred vision and long drives were worth every hour. I wouldn't trade any of those experiences for anything else. I get to see the look on their face and feel the power in their grip when we shake hands afterward. That's worth more than owning the thing my damn self. Do I personally want one? A one-time-only award for something I did and own? I dunno kids. I have a pretty big and diverse wheelhouse but never seem to get one "there" for me. Barefoot shoemaker? You bet your trophy. And Ava a whore? No way. A bitch? Probably, that difference being a whore will do anyone, a bitch anyone but you! :D:D:D:D:D:D

seadog, tb33anda3rd and louisb like this.
  9. Why is the lady always a "whore" while the guys chasing/catching her aren't even labeled?

Half the men on here would be considered whores if they were women. The other half would be too if they weren't too fat/old/ugly or totally lacking in the personality department.

Completely unrelated to Alloway's gorgeous AMBR winner. It just bothers me when guys talk such shit about women. (.... & yes, I know Ryan's post was just an analogy.)

JH

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  10. This is the fun side of the HAMB sandwich. Have not seen any of the coverage yet, but will do it now.
    Our Misfire's Groundhog Gala show is next week, and we all make a trophy for one particular category. (paint, best Hot Rod, best Custom, interior etc...)
    That person picks his "winner"(with the approval, of rest of club members, natch') I've always labeled mine as an award, not "best". I normally do an Engineering award, for those cars, with extraordinary detail. (taking cues from Car and Driver caliper award) This year I'm doing a station wagon award trophy, using a small Radio Flyer. We all go above and beyond to make some pretty killer trophy's....almost too good to give away.
    Gotta say, we are blessed to have so many killer Hot Rods and Customs in attendance. So hard to pick just one. Same deal, no one wins consecutive years. Last year a little burgundy Model A Tudor highboy, with Nailhead power stole the show. Cobo Hall worthy!!!

JT

p.s. One of my wife's Chiahuahua's is named Ava, after A.G.;)

11. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Yeah Highlander I feel ya on this one. I work at a shop that does high-end concourse restorations for well-off folks that have a desire to own, show & win. That's all. They each have their own individual motivators but in the end they ALL experience an enormous amount of joy, pride and satisfaction and to share that with them on delivery day , at the shop or at the shows is worth all of the challenges presented during the process. I love what I do and wouldn't change it but do I own or desire to own a top-shelf, financially stout, Pebble Beach whore? Naaaah! I have my hands all over them every day and still enjoy getting in an old Jalopy, smooooooth custom or clean old cruiser and feeling that is where I belong.

12. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I look at awards like AMBR and Riddler and the shows behind them as a different category then what I would classify the genre of the HAMB as. But the high end cars are very much a part of my life. A customer that has taste, money, and zero to little capability is who puts food on my table. Some are builder enthusiasts, like someone who would commission a painting by his favorite artist. I my self am an admirer of the craft. I follow people in the industry not just as competition but because I like they're work. I don't even have to approve of everything they do to find it interesting.
    Now when the lines blur of traditional and high end, I can't help but like it, even though deep down I like them to be separated so that I can enjoy my hobby and the history, and have my work be something different that I also enjoy. But right now the style for Hot Rods is what I call Neo Traditional. It is a modern take on the timeless designs we all love. The fit and finish and caliper of craftsmanship gets better every year. But with that takes time (labor) and with time comes money. So it is no surprise when some of these custom builds hit the million mark. And if you can afford that build and it's worth it to you to take that ride, awesome.

But unfortunately the awards are not that straight forward. These shows are still a business transaction, each car entry is a purchase, each vendor space is a purchase, each spectator is a purchase. With business comes politics. There are builder awards, hall of fames and builder invitations. People want to see what these shops are doing in person, so they will come out to the show because Hollywood Hot Rods is there, Bobby Alloway, So-Cal, Circle City etc etc.. Reality TV feeds this attraction as well.
    So when a builder is good to the promoter, debuts a car in his show, pays for a big space and maybe has been doing that for 20 years. It can't go unnoticed. When someone is friends with judges or is/was a judge before, there could be bias.
    There is another side to it. Suppose the judges and promoters hold zero personal bias and pick blindly based on score alone. I won't deny that the fit and finish and craftsmanship on this years winner was probably very high on that list. And that could be very well why it was picked. I have had people tell me that it was better from a points prospective. And it's been that way since the Ala-Cart

So how do you score a car on an aesthetic preference. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" which means beauty doesn't exist on its own but is created by observers. So how the fuck do you score that..

These types of trophies have an eternal flaw, one I hope even by chance changes every year. Some years I stupidly have a small burst of outrage when something lame wins, but I get over it... C'est la vie

Would I pass up the opportunity to to compete and hope to win this trophy? Of course not, rational or not. It's good for business, resume, and personal self confidence haha.

What would I like to see at the GNRS? How about 3 other awards, "Peoples Choice" which is anyone who purchases a ticket gets a vote. "Builders Pic" which is voted on by approved builders or shops (i know i know politics). And a "Participants pick" which is anyone who has a car entered gets a vote.

I never want fame, but I would lie if I said I did not want to be respected by those who I respect.
    The End.

lurker mick, i.rant and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. But her first was Mickey Rooney, so I think I at least have a shot. Maybe just one night cause the maintenance would just be too much.

14. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

You pretty much said it all for most of us. And very well stated.

15. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I completely agree. That little Model T was amazing to see and truly an inspiration.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. So what you are saying, if you married a woman and after 10 years and 4 kids she has changed into something you helped do:eek: you should get a trophy?:cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  17. Sure they are Jim,ever hear of a whore hound? not to be confused with horehound candy! :D HRP

18. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Geez Ryan, 3 pages on the first day, guess you struck a chord. I'm more of a Maryanne over Ginger sort of guy anyway. You know...more traditional. The major car shows have always been so far away from me that I never saw them as anything more than magazine fodder anyway. I may not always like the car of the moment, but it sure is cool to look back over the decades of award winners and see how the times have changed. I think it was the backlash to some of the gaudy crap of the 60's that gave us the present trend to get back to real rods. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction... just ask Old Blue Eyes.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

What happened? ;)

20. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I would have taken her home .... as for the AMBR argument ..... Yawn.
    [​IMG]

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huh? Did I miss something important?

23. autobilly

autobilly

[​IMG]
    Sometimes the little guy with nothing but talent does ok!

24. slammed

slammed

Sour grapes. They be whores if your shot down in flames.

25. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Honestly, I wouldn't cross the street to check out this years winner. Was the build quality superb? Absolutely. It just felt like 2003 when I walked past it. Then to see the Mint T or the Grasshopper in the same room--it just didn't compare. #nogoldchains

volvobrynk and slammed like this.
  26. gas & guns

gas & guns

No matter how hot she looks, somewhere somebody is sick of her shit.

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  27. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

There's always been this drive in certain people to want the Best...to be the Winner and stand on the stage...there's also the guys that just want to be a part and the others that could care less.....and you can see those traits in what they drive, where they live and how it looks around where they live.....My dad always thought what I did was crap...my mother instilled in me that if I wanted to bad enough and put my whole heart into it, I would succeed........I chose her influence......I still try to have one of the neatest cars when I finish.....makes you feel good inside.....BUT...if they through away all the trophies and never gave another one, it wouldn't stop me from trying to have and do the Best.......I'm a one man Old School hand painting sign guy that has to also do Vinyl signs and graphics in today's world to make a living...I don't like it, but that's what our country has came too....not much pride in their work and want it right now.......still doesn't change my work ethic of wanting to give them the best Job I can........we get so caught up in opinions by people that are holding the microphone or trophy.....some opinions are best kept to ourselves......keeps us from showing our ignorance some times.....I've been pretty successful in running a one man shop and small race team....fed, clothed and sent 3 kids to private school, won 3 National Championships racing cars and was Blessed this past Dec by the Alabama Auto Racing Pioneers at the Talladega Racing Museum with an induction into the Hall of Fame....not for my racing, but for all the things I did for racing in my life time...over 2500 race cars lettered in my life...........and here's what I told them at the induction ceremony....Life is not measured by how much or little money you have, how many trophies you have won or awards, BUT by what your family, friends and peers think of you..............all of this means nothing really except to me...all the trophies and awards will not even buy you a cup of coffee at Waffle House......but the friends you have made in life through our great sport of CARS will last you till your last breath on this earth.............................Tanner

28. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Well I guess I am in the anti GNRS camp much more interested in rods with miles on them the more miles and the older the build the more interesting I find it

29. white64

white64
    from Maine

But one thing for sure... Ava had more miles on her than any of the trophy winners...

30. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Began my college career in Las Cruces, Nuevo Mexico. Saw Tempest Storm (probably toward the end of her career) in Juarez one night. Tempest is about down to pasties when a little Mexican guy, nursing his beer, turns to me, says in Spanish, "That bird's got too many feathers!"