Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was Anyone Here Actually There?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, May 8, 2005.

1. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I grew up in Visalia, CA. It was a small agriculturally oriented town in the central valley of California. Started in the late 50's building model cars in my room and listening to Doowop music on the radio. There wasn't to much overt rodding going on, but there was a local car club called the "Vapor Trailers" that is one of the oldest clubs still in existence. They sponsored drags at the local airport, but I don't remember seeing any roadsters driving around town. I can remember seeing an article in one of the magazines about the reliability run from LA up to Visalia, then on to Sequoia Park, and thinking "how come I didn't know about this when they came through here?" Never heard about any car shows locally, but my Dad started taking us up to Fresno for Blackie's autorama cuz they advertised it on TV. The first time I got to cruise "Main" was with a friend whose older sister took us along on a weeknight after a 4H meeting(how is that for geeking out?) It wasn't long after that the city council made Main a one way street and f'd up the cruising the same as they did to Fulton in Fresno about the same time. It was a lot like "American Graffiti" then. I can remember later on in the 60's, a guy with a T bucket with a hemi and 6-2's from Visalia named Gene Chan got one of those color "Car Portrait" pictures in 'Hot Rod' that they started doin. (someone on here has posted a bunch of them) Boy, were we proud of him. In 1963 a guy named Jeff Black was a contender in the Roadster show with a black '29 roadster. Everybody was talking about how much he had spent on chrome for it and didn't win. I used to read Rod&Custom, Car Craft, and Hot Rod, Especially in Rod & Custom they used to talk about all the shops, drag strips etc all over LA. I didn't get down there much back then(just trips to Disneyland with family) until I was a little older, that's why it's such a pleasure to read the recounts of other Hambers such as Mazooma1, kinda flesh out some of the stuff I just read about at the time.

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Someone else has probably said it already, but I think those of us that grew up in the 50's and 60's lived "in the best of times". Levis, t-shirts with pockets or cigarettes in the sleeve, penny loafers, ducktails---etc., etc. We read the car mags (little pages) in study hall inside of our history books. Developed a taste for beer---still have it. Gas was 23 cents a gallon --maybe as high as 28 cents-- and all we did was "ride around". I don't remember using the word cruuise back then. When we pulled the Olds 303 off my Mom's elm tree, she had it cut down. Guess she was sick of it. While I was in the Navy she drove my '51 Ford custom at least once a week to get groceries or whatever--that's according to my brother. I had a couple of thousand in it--sold it for $100 when i got home. Customs had died by 1963. Man, this thread brought back a lot of memories--most of them good. Just attended my 50th high school class reunion---we talked cars like it was yesterday.

3. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

my first car was a stock 1930 A coupe, bought with my own money [$200]from my summer job. A was $100, and insurance $90. Began my introduction to fixing the A bone as I road tested the crap out of it. learned how to replace a broken transmission [trying burnouts]and then put it together again. On its first road test discovered the differential had a broken tooth, from the previous trans destruction. So I was learning, the hard way, things will break if you pop the clutch on that big ol' model A flywheel!

4. Not only was I there, the HAMB has put me in touch with a few pals from that time. I think that's neat.

Although the statute of limitations has run out, there are a few folks I don't want to see again. In the early sixties, bikers were true outlaws. Bluto and I hung with some of the same folks. The same sort of characters were involved in the drags. It was, shall we say, interesting...

5. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Where were you in 62? I was fortunate enough to be stationed in China Lake California in 62 till 66.We went to Bakersfield with 2 b dragsters from the base and raced.Got to see all the big boys making history back then and didnt really think any thing about it until later.Now i can tell all my hot rod friends about it back here in the midwest.Great memories that is for sure.Back then it was pretty wild,when a AA/fueler makes a burnout in the pits,you remember.:D

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Cool user name ya got there B...

In 1962 I was merely making history in Iowa...something I am fortunate to write about many, many years later...

R-

7. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

Got my first car..a 51 Morris Minor for $30 at the age of 14. It had a rod out. Fixed it up, painted it and sold it. Between 14 to 16 I had 4 different cars. At 16 I bought a 55 2 door Bel Aire, what a car. Started going to the drags in 1957 at the still oldest running drag strip in the U. S. of A. Julesburg, Colorado. Built and ran my first dragster there in 1960. Toured all over with my older brother racing his C/R in Div. 5 and the surrounding divisions of the NHRA. Did my share of back road drag racing and dragging main street. Those were the days....!! Still in the car culture today with a race car, leadsled, streetrod, and a Corvette.

Where were you in "62"........just out of high school!!

8. How can you remember the Sixties? From what Bluto has told me... they were interesting times!;)

9. How do I remember, Mark? Flashbacks, baby!

10. Hahaha... just when you think they're gone... poof... you're right back there!

Hope your meds don't interfere with your flashbacks...

Enjoy your trip??? Hahaha!!!;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  11. The statute of limitations is about to run out on this 5 year old thread !

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I thot the Statute of Limitations was 7 years...???

R-

13. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

I just turned 59 last Sunday. I was there in the the early 60's, helping cousins pull engines, teardowns, etc., scraping gaskets in my uncles garage for free soda pops. And since I didn't drop out, tune in and turn on, I remember the 60's rather well!

14. CruZer

CruZer

Got my license in '65 but I was riding with my buddies when I was 12 years old in 1960.

Lots of great (and not so great ) memories .

15. Road King

Road King

Graduated High School in '56. Had a flathead dragster in '57, sold it in '59 and raised a family. My wife of 52 years has been by my side through a LOT of cars. I'm 72 and still in it. My current car is a 1961 Morris Minor. I'm in the middle of a big rebuild at American Heliarc in Houston. When back on the road in about 3/4 weeks will have a pretty strong 4.3 v6, 400 transmission and a narrowed 9" Ford 4.11 Positraction. Pulled out a strong 350 for several reasons. There's a lot of us old guys still messing with cars here in Texas.
    Road King

16. k9racer

k9racer

I am glad this thread was started.. We have the words of several members who have passed away..Thank You I will add more on another post.. Bobby..

17. I decided to bring this thread back to the top again, interesting reading on some posts. I remember when the body shops were getting into new stuff called poly-bond, a 56 Fairlane was a new car and there was wild music on AFRS and 77 WABC called Rock and Roll, but still a kid at heart.:D

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

times for sure,gone but not forgotten

19. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Just reading this thread brings back the sting of nitro to my eyes and nose:cool: (been there, did a lot of it):cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Ditto I will turn 61 in a few months. Got started in the late 50's watching the older guys with their hot rods cruisin and "peeling out" then I'd go home and build AMT and Revell models to try and copy what the older guys had. Started cruisin in 66 when my buddy's aunt gave him a 55 Buick Roadmaster. :p Worked at a fast food burger joint when I turned 16 all the guys used to hang our just like in American Graffiti. :cool: Then after closing time they'd go and drag race near the Dairy Queen.

21. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

Those were great times. I just turned 61 last month...

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

The early 60's were exactly as in American Graffiti. Cruising was a way to see and be seen. The crowd I ran with were interested in performance not customs covered in skirts and with continental wheel kits. We cruised ice cream stands, drive in restaurants, hamburger stands and diners looking for chicks and street races. We never had any car shows inside or outside. We made our own car shows. The furthest we used to go was about 80 miles to the closest drag strip. Today people drive for days to attend a Lawn Chair event. The good news were there were no ricers, fart cans, gang bangers or boom boxes playing rap music. It was the way America was supposed to be, teenagers having fun. Too bad those days are gone forever. I feel sorry for the younger guys who have only experienced Lawn Chair events like Goodguys, NSRA and local cruises dominated by brand new Corvettes, Gold Chainers and Bronzers.

23. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

What the hell is a BRONZER ??????

B:confused:b

24. James Curl

James Curl

I was there, saw my first hot rod in Dallas Texas in 1948 when I was 12, been hooked ever since. I took a black and white picture with my Dick Tracy camera that I still have to this day. Read all of the Hot Rod magazines of the day, still have some well read copies. Pitted for a 32 five window with a flathead with four carburetors. The owner who is five years my senior was my Hero when I was 14. I watched him build the car, chopped and channeled, fit him good as he is 5'7" tall, a little short in height for me. He sold the 32 and built a 35 Austin Bantam on a tube chassis with the transmission bolted to the banjo rear end powered by the engine from the 32. Almost always ran for little eliminator at the drags. Raced endurance go karts from 60 to 72 then got married and put a stop to that. Got into muscle cars and now have a 55 Chevy pick up with modified 235 six and a 48 Plymouth with a modified 218 cu in flat head six that my good friend from New Orleans and I drove to California and then to Bonneville for speed week in 2007. Drive one or the other every day. They never failed to start the last two weeks in all of the bad weather we have had.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  25. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

In the words of a Johnny Cash song:
    "I was there when it happened and I guess I ought to know."

I'm 65 and a 1/2.

26. oldschool55

oldschool55

Tried to go to all the local indoor car shows and drags in the sixty's, but I wasn't old enough to drive until 1966, so had to have my dad take me. Thank goodness he took some pictures, that I still have.

27. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

My father was born in '47 and remembers every distinct detail you could possibly imagine for cars, the era, cruising, good times, everything he experienced through the late '50s and early '60s. Growing up in MA, where the trends from the west coast delayed in carrying over, what was new in CA in about '61 was still popular by '64 on the East Coast. He remembered the brief trend of gold opened rims. He remembers the days of red opened rims, and the changing over to black opened rims. He remembered the kustom cross flags you could buy that many cars from car shows back in the day had on their glove compartments. Still has a couple band new in the package. He enjoyed every minute and tells me unforgettable stories that seem to take him back just about every day...never seen any other guy have so much appreciation for that era. Truly believe his dedication and interest made me feel the way I do so strongly about it today. Been with me ever since I was aware at the age of 4.

28. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Yes! My Dad remembers those indoor shows well. I need to post a picture of a '57 Ford kustom he took a picture of that was panel painted with light fogging, and it was called "Sweet Nothings." A beautiful car and photo. Will post very soon! Taken back in the very early '60s

29. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Bob I think it's a tan in a can or a fake bake you know sun tan.:D

30. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Believe it or not, I do know what you mean since I've had strong interest in that era since I was very young. It would take me a book to explain it maybe, I don't mean what they portray today. I mean how it REALLY was back then. I'm talking OLD SCHOOL before the term "Old School" was thrown onto everything in sight. Wasn't even a term used back in '59. Thank god my Dad grew up in that era. He said it was a lot like what you see in American Graffiti. Were you on the West Coast or East Coast?

I feel bad too I didn't grow up then. I know I was supposed to be born in about '42 or so. At least I have Lead East to attend every year, but the day I die I know I'm going back to the era that I belong.

Thank you for making this post and point it out. Hopefully other young guys out there feel the same way I do, although I still find it hard to believe somehow.
    Originally Posted by Gman0046 [​IMG]
    The early 60's were exactly as in American Graffiti. Cruising was a way to see and be seen. The crowd I ran with were interested in performance not customs covered in skirts and with continental wheel kits. We cruised ice cream stands, drive in restaurants, hamburger stands and diners looking for chicks and street races. We never had any car shows inside or outside. We made our own car shows. The furthest we used to go was about 80 miles to the closest drag strip. Today people drive for days to attend a Lawn Chair event. The good news were there were no ricers, fart cans, gang bangers or boom boxes playing rap music. It was the way America was supposed to be, teenagers having fun. Too bad those days are gone forever. I feel sorry for the younger guys who have only experienced Lawn Chair events like Goodguys, NSRA and local cruises dominated by brand new Corvettes, Gold Chainers and Bronzers.