Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Warren Dorrill's Shark

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Warren Dorrill's Shark

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

dana barlow, Stogy, HEMI32 and 3 others like this.
  2. the blue f100 is killer
    very cool vid
    the car looks like Tex Avery designed it

Stogy and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

That is one UGLY car.

BJR and Automotive Stud like this.
  4. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ewwwww.!!!!

Rich

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I just want that '54 F-100!

kevinrevin likes this.
  6. Great footage, love the dash and chop but not the rest.

7. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Very weird car. It may still be around. A subsequent owner may have gotten a new hood and front fenders, and shaved off the tail fins. But it is quite an interesting car...something that I would be ashamed to be seen driving.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The shark is so weird it´s already cool... Also the paint on the truck, perfectly 50s no rules ...I kind of love these weirdo style 50s Hot Rods and customs. Taste was not as refined as today, where we can pick what we like or not after we have been reading the little pages, Hop Up and Rodder´s Journal for 20 or more years. These guys had to hit or miss, and some almost hit, some did not hit by far. And even the automakers were off on their designs from time to time. I´m sure if somebody built a car like the shark today people would call him nuts since it does not ressemble a traditional custom....

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Like mentioned, I'll take the scalloped truck from the lead

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Give me the gauges and steering wheel and you can have the rest.

kidcampbell71 and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the camera operator panned from the plane to the car, I definitely see why. There's a similarity between the plane and the car.

Stogy likes this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it does look like Fido's butt but you have to admire the guy's spunk. He went for it (swing and a miss)

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sure...Insult a Cessna.

kevinrevin, alanp561, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  14. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok, so it's not the cutest shoe in the box but.......a lot of time and energy went into it and then filmed it for posterity.

15. I'm going to stick my neck out and surmise that this guy didn't go on to become an automotive stylist.

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  16. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

He was an innovator with his use of the 3rd tail light I'll give him that but the rest ehhh well not my cup of tea

17. Tons of work, to be sure.
    That front end is just goofy looking.

kevinrevin likes this.
  18. I can't...just can't.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. if I were to ever discover a 'barn find' time capsule custom..........it would probably be this one

thats how my luck goes

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sondre does great work at Kustomrama...always trying to add to his great Site.

The "Shark" though...well, to be kind, I just don't like it.

However, I do realize the humongous amount of work that went into it back during that long-ago time-period, and the pioneer/primitive equipment they had to work with.

As was previously stated by 2935 ford, they did think far enough ahead to film the final result of all that work for posterity. And, remember, even home movie cameras & color film in those days were not common, and were not cheap...nor was the developing of the film.

Thanks for Posting this, Ryan...

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

alanp561 and Sancho like this.
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think it's fucking awesome, warts and all. I'd rather see this goofy but beloved and well-finished chopped shoebox at a show than another row of new Corvettes.

22. Seems like there was a thread here on a car line that that got found several years ago? Maybe it was a Caddillac though and the fins have me confused?

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My first thought was that the front end looks like a fold out couch about half way threw being pulled out.

The second thought is that it seems out of place that it’s got outside door handles.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan if ya pulled into the Hamb party with this custom you would be abandoned by many it seems. You are a wee bit different as you cross the divides...many do and heck it's even got Louvers...I applaud the diversity of the whole mix.

This fella was a bodyman and had a mind and eyes and in the mix of things he had planes, customs, hotrods, racers, the huge mix of commercial automotive design and mags to glean from. If anyone could see this thru he could and did...thanks for sharing that.

1200px-Stubby_Stubblefield_cph.3a03810.jpg

5132.jpg

[​IMG]

Credit to Photographers, Owners​

VANDENPLAS, Ryan and Surfcityrocker like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may well be a swing and a miss in many ways. Love the exhaust idea, the Caddy fins and lights are fairly kool (2 of em), and I'd bet the headlight bezels ended upside down once and his mind's eye said "Hey, this might look..." She's a star player with weird taste in wardrobe and haircut, or that girl you saw from behind and went "Ooh yeah..." with a leer in your eyes. Then she turned around.

A lot of cars carry lessons with them. I think the lesson here is restraint, or rather what can happen if it's not exercised. With a right hand raised I don't have an ounce of disrespect for it or the builder. It took talent and discipline to build it. Well some guts too. The fact it survived as long as it did and made magazine covers is a major tell. From the time it came to life, moving forward to today, our world has a PhD in what works and what doesnt. Hey, the "Pink Panthermobile" is quite a creation too, but also drives home the lesson of knowing when to quit. An advanced lesson at that.

winduptoy likes this.
  26. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It is a car that does *not* need more cowbell.

He took it to the end though. Gotta give him props for that.

VANDENPLAS and Baumi like this.
  27. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, its weird, but I can't help but think a 6"section through the original tail lights and reducing the distance from the top of the fender to the headlights would help a bunch.

alanp561 and slv63 like this.
  28. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I remember reading that after being forced to appear in this home movie, his wife ran off with a traveling accordion player..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  29. BJR

BJR

This would make a good clown car. I can see about a hundred of em climbing out of it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. junkman8888

junkman8888

Can you imagine finding that thing, restoring it, then taking it Pebble Beach? "But you gotta let me show it, it's got great "provenance", it was in a movie and on the cover of a magazine!"

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    alanp561 likes this.