The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kisam, Dec 11, 2009.
His place looks like a bomb went off... before the bomb went off
I wonder if he had laid the bottle on its side or was it standing. Man that thing really did some damage. I see the car next to it looked like it about lost its roof
I had welding school and they never taught us that. They just said don't go over 15lbs and didn't know why. Thanks.
I remember back in high school chemistry we made acetylene by dripping acetic acid (acetone) on carbon. The chem teacher said he thought they packed the acetylene cylinder with carbon and charged it with acetone and the gas is produced by the acetone acting on the carbon. he thought that when they recharge the cylinder they just add acetone to the carbon packing and pressurize the cylinder.
sounds like a good way to get out of a car payment,,, if ya know what i mean.... lol...
and I thought I did stupid shit....
29 NASH has hit it on the head!!!------Thats why they make shutoff valves!!!!----
AND only open acetylene valve 1/4 turn!!!!!!!!------Don
It fucked up the neighbors car too, lol.
Shit!...........Lucky it was a "Remote" start!
i live about 20 mins from there - it is a shit hole. Place is called Chelsea. That explosion blew out all the neighbours windows and apparently was felt and heard for a 20 block radius. Amazing no one was hurt.
Here's a link with a bit more info and video. No not of the explosion...the aftermath
so glad no one was hurt, that would bring ya out of bed in the morning.......
On a similiar note I had a neighbor replace the copper tubing on his air compresser with steel pipe and one day it sounded like a sonic boom and my gargage door did the wave dance. Went outside and seen my neighbor stumbling around with his fingers in his ears trying to get them working again I guess. He was lucky also!
Why is it a shit hole? Is it because the home owners natzis havent made him tow all his stuff away and forced him to manicure his lawn? . Carefull what you say they will be after you next. Imagine that being old car parts around the yard and some here would be calling it a dream home.
Something similar happened here a few years ago, only with a 100lb propane bottle if I recall correctly. It was unrestrained in the back of a cube van and fell over in a parking lot and sheared off the valve. The driver took one last drag on his cigarette before getting out to check the problem and the whole thing blew up. Lots of damage, but I don't remember if there were injuries.
It reminds us that a lot of things that we do all the time without putting a thought to it can be deadly. I've been in the habit of reaching over and making sure that the valves on the tanks on my torch setup are turned off when I go past the cart for years. I learned to do that with students at school who were always leaving the bottles on after they used the torch.
Has a lot more to do with mutual respect and being an actual neighbor (instead of just living next to someone) than any kind of code enforcement.
This post does have me thinking about storing bottles in my little one car garage though. I suppose they could be enclosed and vented to the outside?
Acetylene is as safe as the user, can be stored under my bed, as long as I am the one that put it there.
Judging one's neighbor by the appearance of his yard is superficial. It's a good thing anybody that presumes he can don't have to take a mentality test. Even some folks that get their houses featured in home and garden magazines would be in trouble. That said, the guy is either an idiot, or a genius, depending on how well the truck was insured.................
I remember that photo at our local welding supply shops twenty years ago. Anyone got a copy of this pic we are talking about, I have seen it many times years ago.
Some guy in Queens NY got killed a few years back the same way. Went to open his van in the morning and his B-tank went up. Those can open easily, at least the valve can be cracked open if the wrench is left on top and the tank tips over.
Some plumbers have the bad habit of leaving the tank ON all the time and just turning it off at the torch.
and it's much better on the regulators as well.
Damnit..I was going to say that.
well he was going to take a leak, but I'll bet he did!!
wasn't it there not too long ago, where the guy killed himself trying to weld the bottle to his roof? it keps rolling off and it was a tin roof. this is also another good reason not to fill your ac system with propane, as a lot of people have, different gas, but if you have a leak, it's the same after effect.
WOW!!! someone had to have about shit there pants within a mile on that one!!!!!
I worked for a plumber here in the late 60s he had his walk in van doors rigged so they could be locked with the doors open about 2 inches when we were on a job site,When I asked him about that he showed me several pictures from a friend of his who was a plumber in NY. City he had the same style IH walk in as us.in the pictures there was nothing above the floor of the truck!His acetylene tank leaked and he set it off with a cigarette when he opened a side door his bottles and ours were much smaller than the ones in these pics of this van .He got blown through a store front but lived several days after the explosion they found the entire roof of the van stuck in the roof a 7 story building over a block away when tenants there investigated a leaky roof during a storm.Someone from NY might be able to find news paper accounts of it, it happened mid 60s I think.
When I worked at a welding store we were told never put Acetylene bottles in an enclosed vehicle.
at my welding supply place they have a picture of a Cutlass that had an Acetylene bottle stored in the trunk and when the clock winder switched on ( in the 70's ) it blew up.
Why back off the regulators if you've cut gas to the torch, closed the bottles, then drained out the hoses? I know it's another layer of protection, but if the bottles are closed, they're closed, right?
And here's a couple of semi-related stories.
Separate names with a comma.