Register now to get rid of these ads!

Warning about Jiffy Lube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gumpa, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Gumpa

Gumpa

What's Wrong At Jiffy Lube?

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

The above site will open to a blank screen - just wait for the video to load. NBC in California got some great shots on Jiffy Lube stores ripping their customers off big time. I wouldn't drive past a Jiffy Lube let alone let them work on my car! The information below is customer’s complaints about Jiffy Lube cheating them. Notice they come from all across America.

Snopes says this is true: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/jiffylube.asp

2. SICBOY

SICBOY

oh shit busted, thats why you do stuff by your self

3. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

actually, the reporter caught them years ago, told jiffylube, corporation said they'd do something, the report came back years after and same thing...there's 3 reports total...Jiffylube was training their employees how to identify the reporters and their hidden cams also!!!!

4. rustysix4

rustysix4
    from Napa, CA

haha! how do they know they didnt change the filter? its at the bottom of that module, the mark would still be there. plust the filter/regulator on that is in the front of the tank. i do believe that jiffey lube sucks, but i hate when mechanics get drugg through the mudd. i am a jeep/chrysler - kia tech at a dealer, so i go thorugh it all the time, people just dont trust you.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Let's not compare a jiffy lube tech with a "mechanic", It's disrespectful to the trade.

6. yup, that's why they say a few rotten apples spoils the bunch. the auto biz is f'ed up around here.......i work for a city now.

7. I saw this and I was thinking, okay, how many gold chainers on this board that A: can't or won't change their oil, and B: would then take it to a Jiffy Lube to do it?

I suppose there's nothing wrong with not changing it yourself if for whatever reason you can't get on your back under the car (injury, arthritis, whatever), or if you have the money to throw around and just don't want to, but going to Jiffy Lube for an oil change is like going to a Sears Tire Center for other basic stuff. They might not all try to screw you, but the reputation is poor and the odds aren't that great.

8. I go to Jiffy Lube every 2 months or so. I drive a fleet car for work, and that is the only "authorized" franchise around to do an oil change.

I'm not allowed to do the work myself.

While I haven't had an issue with the Jiffy here in town, I did have a tech at a Jiffy in Michigan cross thread the drain plug in my old fleet car, causing the oil to leak out and seize the engine withing 1k miles. ha ha. It is a bit funny when it isn't technically your car.

9. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!! I work in the biz, the word today is "technician"
    and it's a trade slowly going to the grave.............sad.......

10. KY Boy

KY Boy

back in the day when I was working as a tech in the day and selling parts at night (Advance AP, sorry i had to make a living) people would come in the store and spout off stuff like, "My brother in law is a mechanic and he said..." I always said the word mechanic was the most abused term in the dictionary. Very loosely applied in most cases...

HAMB'er Kentucky was there with me. We just laughed at these clowns

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 71 Suburban that had been sitting for awhile. I checked the trans fluid and it was low. The fittings on the ball joints and tie rod ends obviously hadn't been touched in years. I took it to Wal-Mart and asked and paid for the lube and oil change where they checked all your fluids, including trans and rear differential, and top it all off if needed.

When I got the Suburban home, the trans was still low, none of the grease fittings had been touched (although the computer print out they gave me said they had greased x-number of fittings),and the plug on the differential had not been touched.

I took it back. They took it in and serviced it. I got it back. Some of the fitting on the front-end still had not been touched (they had grease squirted around them, but the fittings themselves still were caked over with age-old crud) and the differential had not been checked.

I took it back a third time, and this time got into the pit with the "tech" and the auto service manager and watched him take care of every item.

Jiffy Lube sucks, but they're not the only ones.

12. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

this is the full report...there's 3 investigations/videos. Cameras installed EVERYWHERE on the car...they got caught

http://www.nbc4.tv/mechanicinvestigation/index.html

scroll to the "TV clips and scripts" and watch for yourself

13. TorqueWench58

TorqueWench58
    from Plano TX

Well my mother lives in St Jo Mo and there is really no one to do work for her. When she has something done she watches them as much as she can and ask to see or even to have the parts when they take them out ... even the oil filter.. She tell them that her husdand want to see them ... Daddys been gone for 4 years. It may not stop some one from taking advantage of her .. but it makes her feel better.

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Jiffy Lube does not employ REAL Technicians, if they did, they couldn‘t afford to pay them. Now days ‘Technician’ is the most misused word in the English language (second only to the word ratrod). Ever hear your local Dealership call a lot boy a “lot tech”? What’s so technical about washing a car?

15. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

1 smart woman!
    warning: in socal you must "ask" for the replaced parts at the time of signing your work order..............

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I caught Jiffy Lube doing bascially the same thing. I worked for a small print company part time and sometimes would do deliveries for them as well as IT work. I would take their delivery van down to have the oil changed and basic maint. done. They would say they were going to do something and then wouldn't. I started doing a lot of it myself, except for the fluid changes. I took it in and they recommended changing the air filter, I called them on it as I had already put a new filter in that day...

NC law stated they must save the parts that they replace until after you pick up the car.

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

this happens at alot of quickie lube places and even regular shops. most oil changes are done by uncertified techs or apprentices, so it all depends on how they were taught to do the job or how efficiently they do the job. My first job was at a canadian tire (cleaning) when i was 15 and all the guys doing oil changes werent the brightest, i have alot of stories of bad workmanship. I'll give you a quick one though, we had a guy start on a monday and he was fired by wednesday (i didnt even get to meet the guy) but within 2 days he forgot to put the oil in one car (seized the motor, and the shop had to pay for the new one) and the next day he drove a customers car into a concrete divider inbetween 2 bay doors. I cant begin to tell you how many times i saw guys double gasket the oil filter (makes a hell of a mess, when they drive away like that). So unless your car is under warranty (and you cant do it yourself) do the oil change yourself.

18. KY Boy

KY Boy

You gotta watch the term "engineer" too. I thought engineering was something taught in schools that were accredited by the american board of engineering technology. Apparently some of the local utilities have these classes, too, as they all employ sanitation engineers. I dont think that is an accredited specialty, though.

19. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave

A good friend owns and operates a quick change oil operation. (NOT a jiffy lube)
    Keeping trained staff is a major headache. (they always leave for the "bigger bucks" even though he pays VERY well)

I have a '41 Ford Stake Bed Delivery which he has let me store in his shop while I'm doing major renovations to my shop.
    He likes having the truck parked out front of his shop during the day; being bright yellow it attracts business!

He uses my truck as a "training aid."
    When he is checking out new potential staff, he puts my truck over the pit and says,
    "OK, this truck needs oil, filter and everything checked." "Show me what you would do."

Now ... keep in mind the truck still has a beam axle, along with over 10 grease fittings. (early Ford kingpins and tie rods)
    He has told me that 9 out of 10 "applicants"; MISS almost all of the grease fittings; don't have any idea where, or how to check rear end lube level; and often don't know how to check the transmission oil level.

AND ... here's the "zinger"; almost all of those applying for the position(s) are TRAINED MECHANICS with a piece of paper to prove it!! (or so it says)
    He asks for "Experienced Mechanics" in his "Help Wanted" ads.

At least the "upside" for me is, it's got the cleanest oil of ANYTHING on the road.
    (Oh yeah; he checks the drain plugs before it leaves!)

20. 5window

5window

I've done my own oil changes since the days of my VW microbus-awk-hippy phase-and I can't dream of not doing it myself. However,on both of my daughter's cars-one a Nissan,one a Honda,the filter is at the bottom side of the back of the engine. No way I can reach it without a lift-which I don't have-so they end up at a service station. Stupid design,hoping they will bring everyone in to the-dealer. Notice how accurately those guys are named? Dealer.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Of course it pays to do your own maintenance, but, I've been screwed hard twice, 4 years apart at the same MIDAS store here on west BELL road in Glendale AZ. Working on my wife's HONDA as well as my own S-10 is just that, frustrating, no room to wrench, WORK! Both instances, years apart, same manager (yeah, I should have run), nothing provable, PHUKKEM! Karma's gonna bite hard on these soulless Mother#*&#$(*'s.

So. Do yourself a favor and find a private mechanic that you can build a relationship with and trust, I know I have. That is, unless, you don't mind working on the new stuff yourself.

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

It's a well known fact that these places are nothing but thieves and crooks. That chicken shit area manager tells me all I need to know. And, why can't these "techs" speak english? Humm....seems to be a pattern there. The sad part is these guys have been stealing from little old men and women, and crippled people who can't do the work them selves, and that pisses me off! I don't feel a bit sorry for the thirty something yuppie, who lives in the mansion, and can't or won't get his little hands dirty. Jiffy lube isn't the only one doing this...I used to know a guy who worked at Midas and he said they were trained to sell everyone the full meal deal whether they needed it or not. The inside motto was, "nobody leaves here for free" no matter what. You know, you can go to a dealership now and get the same oil change for about the same price so why even use a shit hole like Jiffy Lube? You get what you pay for.:(

23. luckystiff

luckystiff

the last part isn't always the case. my wife bought a new Jetta back in dec. she was driving 100+ miles a day for work at the time so her first oil change came up fairly quick. well it was early feb and cold as hell and all garage bays were full with non-running cars. i call the local independant VW mech who we used a coupla times on her old New Beetle(talk about a pain to work on). he was booked for 3 weeks. so i call the dealership. a standard oil change at the local VW dealer is $52. man that was a cold afternoon changing that oil in the driveway at about 35-40 degrees hahaha...ken....

24. flathead okie

flathead okie

WAL-MART. EXPRESS, what a joke. My wife had a tire fixed there. Drove about 1/2 mi the wheel comes off. I had a full lube done on a 77 Rancero, oil was overfilled by 2 qts, radiator shroud was broken, and as was stated before, nothing greased or checked. 1-800-Walmart takes care of this. Had shroud replaced,and car was re lubed. Haven't went back since. Can't stand to go into Wal-Mart. I pay higher prices to avoid going there. Last resort ONLY.

25. Retrorod

Retrorod

This part of the industry is a mess. I am Service Manager of a fairly large Chevy dealer and I can tell you....finding good qualified people is really a bitch. We have worked our way up over the past ten years to a total of five guys now doing oil changes and routine maintenance work. We used to have only one. We charge the same as the Quikee places but we try to make sure that it's all done right. One thing they do at those places is what we refer to as the "wallet flush", where they sell flushing of any system that has fluid in it.....for big money. They sell these bogus services on cars with as low as 18,000 miles!! Most of their "victims" are older people or customers who don't know any better.

26. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

This stuff happens everywhere . . . I was talking to someone last night on their phone problems . . . they have two lines and picking up receiver on one phone will knock their DSL connection off. The problem probably lies in their pairing (twists) of wires in their house, plus interaction with a two line phone . . . but they've had phone company out already and every one is stratching their head pointing fingers. My wife had "techs" for computer stuff who didn't know their head from a hole in the ground . . . who couldn't install printer, let alone get labels loaded into the thing correctly. This stuff is frustrating, but it's across the board in many professions. A lot of people don't give a shit anymore, and it shows.

27. rustysix4

rustysix4
    from Napa, CA

it comes down to craftmanship, not a lot of people care for it anymore, when i do an oil change, or brakes, or tranny r & r, i do it all with the same pride in my work. this just isnt taught anymore, i was lucky to apprentice under someone who instilled this in me, you have to give people a reason to come back. wether you work for jiffey lube, a dealer, or a customizing shop, you should take pride in anything you put your hands on, because it is a reflection of yourself.

28. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

whenever i get to tow a broken down car to a shop, i reccommend against any of the major automotive chains. there is at least one good privateer on each side of town.

pep boys are the worst. we tow more cars out of there than we tow in.

29. 48ford

48ford

Got one daughter a nice chrysler 5th ave when she was in school.nice car. It was in an estate sale.had all the service records with it.I put it up on the rack,checking things out,change the oiland can't find the filter(chrysler hides it over the exhaust pipe on a 318. Got it off and it was way too heavy,the oil change guys,charged the old gent but never changed it.

30. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

As a guy who owns two shops, I feel compeled to jump in on this one.

There is so much blame to go around in our industry. From business owners who feel that screwing people is OK, to "techs" who can't accept the fact that they have no idea what they are doing, to customers who shop for the lowest price who make the situation worse.

Anyone priced out a Jiffy Lube franchise? In my area you would have to rip people off to make the numbers work. All Tune & Lube - same thing.

With the cost of doing business (daily expenses) going up every year, how many shop owners can afford to pay the really good Techs the money that the are worth? Not many.

Most of all I think that in our field, we have owners who don't demand the best from the people working for them. The bar needs to be raised. I guess it's a reflection of our society in general.