Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Warm weather primering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I'll be priming a fender on Friday and it's supposed to be mid 90's before I can get to it.

The can has different mix ratios for Heavy, Medium, Light.

I'll be under a carport in shade.

What's the proper rule to follow here?

Thanks.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  2. the compressor air needs to have a dryer on it to keep moisture out of the gun. what type of primer?

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Yes type of primer is important to know for an answer to your question. Humidity is the issue. Paint products can dry to fast trapping moisture in high humidity conditions.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Working 12+ hour nights. Thanks. I'll get the information tomorrow and repost.

Thanks

loudbang likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looking for problems with those conditions - carefully read tech sheet for product being used - post what product you are using and what you are using it on

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the fender is off the car, prep it the night before and leave it in your air conditioned house along with the paint/thinner. Take them out and get after it when you get home while everything is cool. X2 on the water traps, power up the compressor the night prior and have a nice full tank of cool air ready to squirt. Copper mug full of ice, 2 shots of Crown mesquite, fill rest of the way with ginger beer, squeeze of lime, stir, drink between coats.

7. BJR

BJR

Or you could forget the painting and just drink..:D Wait for better conditions on another day.:p

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm in the same boat. Finally ready to paint my camper and it's over 90 for the next couple weeks

9. Budget36

Budget36

Lol...summer in the valley here...cold beer and a primered fender are two requisites that will occur before Saturday.

I'll get the info on the primer, I didn't ask for a high build, but it may be that...I just needed sanding primer because the rest of the car (which was primered two weeks ago) was about 50/50 bare metal and older primer. Paint guy said it'd even things out better.

Why am I doing a fender?

Hit and run two days after the primer job...Got the "new fender prepped, but the guy who's doing the paint can't get back for a few weeks, and I need to get it primered and on the car, block the car out, do a little bodywork, before he comes back to shoot it.

Thanks all. Info will come on the primer when I get up tomorrow....12+ hour night shift and age don't mix...hope the primer does;)