Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Warbird Nose Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

These are pics of a P-40 RC slope glider I built from scratch. Its modeld it after LT. JB Paris, nic name Rusty. Pacific theater. Its fixed and flying again!

Attached Files:

2. Scanned these from a old photo album my mother gave me from my dad. Don't know the name of his plane, but these pics are from late 1944, early 1945 in the South Pacific. My dad was a ball turret gunner. Forgot how many missions he flew on his tour, but all over water, and never knew how to swim.-MIKE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. raceratrod

raceratrod

I belive he was , i've no way now of knowing for shure which B-24 he served on .I havent seen my uncle in 30 years ,and my dad is too far in years to communicate with .

But at least some history was not thrown on a scrap heap . This plane has been resurfacing threw out my years . When i was a kid i rembered the picture in a box of war pictures my dad had taken .Then it popped up in late 80's when i used to get air classics mag. ,and now you asked about it 65 years later .At least some memories will still go on.

All i have of that plane is the one pic of my dad and uncle and the plane and a copy.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

What is his name? I'll see what I can find out for you.

Here's a pic of me with the Collings Foundation B-24 when it was painted in that scheme around 2000.

[​IMG]

5. iddragracer

iddragracer

Here are a couple that I painted recently, The Inpatiant Virgin< and the Bad Kitty

6. iddragracer

iddragracer

pics did'nt show the first time so here it goes again

Attached Files:

7. raceratrod

raceratrod

That picture blow's me way . That plane's memory just won't give up.

His name his John (Nash) Naszcyniec he served towards the end of the war. I know for shure it would be with that plane but it should be same bomb group. Because my dad would not known how to find him .

Thanks for posting that picture . I' m going to send a copy up north to my mom and see if she could spark any memorys from my dad

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

ha. i like the kansas city kitty.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I couldn't find your uncle listed anywhere, but I'll keep digging.

In case you didn't know, that's the 43rd Bomb Group, 64th Squadron based out of New Guinea. Here is a site with more info on the 43rd. http://www.kensmen.com/

That B-24 was the last aircraft scrapped at Kingman AZ. The scrappers were hoping someone would come along and save it, but alas, the country needed pots and pans. :(

Here's a pretty cool print of it that is inexpensive. http://www.oldgloryprints.com/The Dragon and His Tail.htm

And here is the model that I have. You can occasionally find them for less on ebay.
    http://www.aikensairplanes.com/franklinmint48/fmc964.htm

It's one of my favorite B-24s. You may have just as well said that your uncle drove Vic Edelbrock's original roadster. ;) :D

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Very cool. I didn't know there was someone else who had painted nose art on the HAMB. Those are awesome. The Virgin is one hell of a restoration. It's too bad that she had to compete against Happy Jack's Go Buggy at Oshkosh, cause she probably would have won the big prize.

11. vntodd

vntodd

great looking stuff Jeff, like ALL of your work!

12. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

One I found

Attached Files:

13. autobilly

autobilly

Great work. Did you get to go for a flight?

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Thanks! Yep. It was amazing. A dream come true on top of the previous painting dream come true. All four of us went. :D

More pics

[​IMG]

15. Abomination

Abomination

Kitty, from Kansas City (after the 2 minute Betty Boop Cartoon):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TKIanGG9vQY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TKIanGG9vQY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. caceo

caceo

Lost Art,
    those were some great pics...thanks for sharing!

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That "Bad Kitty" Tigercat is really cool! Great pics! If anyone has any more keep 'em coming!

18. solid

solid

Heres my repro panels in my shop. I love nose art.

Attached Files:

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

The B-29 "Fertile Myrtle" was based at Oakland airport from 1969-85 and my dad, a newspaper reporter, covered its flight to Oakland from China Lake in 1969. I remember being out at recess one day in 1st grade (1968-69, Richmond, north of Oakland) and it roared right over the school! Gear down, maybe 1000 feet right above my head. Made a slight turn south toward Oakland. It sat for several years and then they got it flying again in the late '70s and we'd see it at airshows. It made it to the Travis AFB show in 1980 and after we got home and were sitting in the living room relaxing we could hear Fertile Myrtle coming, low along the east bay hills where we lived, on its way back to Oakland. I jumped up, grabbed my mom by her arm and got out onto the backyard patio just as FM came right over the house at maybe 1000 feet. My mom said, "What's that!" and I said "A B-29!" and its roar was incredible. I got to hold the brakes once during an engine check at Hangar 5 at Oakland in 1980. My dad had written a story for the Oakland Tribune about FM's recent re-activation after several years not being flown. My buddy and I went down to Oakland Airport (north field) one Saturday just to hang around (high school kids) and the crew was there working on FM and the airplane was parked right by the fence. We found a way onto the ramp and hung around for about 30 minutes before one of the crew came over and said we could take a look. Art Stagg, a co-owner of FM, told us to go ahead and climb inside but not to touch anything. Okay! My buddy finally said, "His dad wrote the story in the Oakland Tribune!" and Art Stagg perked right up when I told him my name--same as my dad's. He sat me in the left seat and my buddy Rob in the right seat and Art sat at the flight engineer's station behind Rob. He told us that they had just re-hung the propeller on the #4 engine and that they had to start it and check it out. Cool! Art told me how to hold the brakes by pushing on the tops of the rudder pedals and he said the plane wouldn't roll but just hold the brakes anyway. (I was 17 at the time.) Art put on his headset, switched on the battery, and got clearance from the ground crew to turn #4. I could see the propeller rotating out the right cockpit glass behind my buddy's head and after the required blade count Art switched on the ignition and it came to life. Man, my buddy and I were close to pissing our pants! Art warmed up #4 for a few minutes and then began the prop check by setting a somewhat high power setting and operating the prop's pitch and feathering control several times. The rpm would come down and go back up as the blades went back and forth in pitch several times. Once that was done Art turned to me and yelled to 'hold the brakes good' and he ran #4 up to what must have been takeoff power. Man, the airplane rocked back and forth from the thrust of the outboard prop and then Art eased it down to idle and shut it down. We climbed out and Art said that they were going to leave for an airshow in Salt Lake City in about an hour so stick around. They loaded up, cranked up all four and taxied over to the south field where the airliners operate. After almost a half-hour over there we heard the sound of the B-29 at takeoff power and there it was, airborne off of runway 29, and it flew up the bay and turned east and climbed over the east bay hills. When I got home my dad said, "Fertile Myrtle flew over a while ago" and we told him our story! He laughed and shook his head. Good times.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  20. Abomination

Abomination

Hey!

That's the plane from The Last Flight of Noah's Ark!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081031/trivia

~Jason

21. anybody interested i paint pin ups, traditional kind, i have not done nose art but will in time.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  22. I will have a friend air brush on the side of my 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln a couple of pin up girls I cannot decide on which poses pictures. I was thinking of a P51 Mustang with lucky 13 pin up. And on the other side another pin up with the american flag. Can you HAMB members give me some ideas of what would look appropriate for a 32 to have.

Thanks for your help.

Frenchy

23. frenchy i have a ton of old war pinups and modern like hundreds of images. just pm me[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  24. I'm pretty sure we could use a few examples!!-MIKE;):D

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look up formation ships, some truly wild paint jobs on them!
    An interesting point (Maybe) but when they transited from the C-47 to the C-119K for gunships in Viet Nam (Making them AC designated) the nose art was much more visible not being hidden by the cowling's. Subsequently nose art disappeared pretty quick from them when it was discovered that the enemy were tracking ans shooting down aircraft by the nose art!
    Doc.

26. These are great!

27. 65COMET

65COMET

I am fortunate to live under the flight path for Camarillo Airport where we have a CAF squadron.I have had the forune to see many warbirds and talk to some of the flight crews from WWII.They are leaving us WAY too soon,they are" THE GREATEST GENERATION"!! GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!! ROY.

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A HAMB'er did this for my Airstream. I use it as my avatar over on the AirStream forums

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  29. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

very cool stuff

30. srfd132

srfd132

Here's a few of my brothers pieces that he has done on Warbird restorations, both round engines and jets. Pretty talented guy.

Plenty more at www.noseartguy.net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]