Register now to get rid of these ads!

History WANTED: picture of Falcon engineers in Ford book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Years ago a neighbor showed me a picture in some Ford book of the engineers that designed the Falcon. I wish I would've made a copy of it, or at least written down the title. Anybody know the book?

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. If you're talking about what makes the Falcon original and unique-- ENGINEERS DON"T "DESIGN" CARS ;).....
    unless you're talking about mechanical/structural part design.

Industrial Designers design automobiles.
    Bob Gregorie, Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, Virgil Exner, and Raymond Loewy were responsible for some of the most famous and influential automotive designs in the 20th century- from concept to execution. They were all Industrial Designers.

I don't have any images of work on a Falcon concept vehicle, but here is some work from Ford design studios in the late 50's/early 60's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, you can imagine what this one ended up as.....

[​IMG];););)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Walker was more of a manager than a designer - was always quick to take credit for work of underlings.

The pic of the car with jet cockpit and twin booms was probably taken in '53-'54 when concepts for the FX-Atmos concept car was in development. Notice how it morphed into the FX-Atmos, which is pictured as well. Designers I interviewed for my first book, "Thunderbird 1955-1966," spoke of the Navy's Cutlass jet fighter being an inspiration for the twin-pod them that showed up in '58-'60 and influenced by the FX-Atmos.

The salmon pink car is "La Tosca," a 3/8"-scale concept model designed by Alex Tremulis (who lost his job at Ford over his input on the '60 Ford) and Romeyn Hammond in 1954. It is credited with influencing the '58-'60 Lincolns. Walker is pictured using a radio remote control box driving it in an issue of "Life" and other pubs, but all Walker had to do with it was being head of Ford Styling.

The rear view with all the people in the background is "LaGalxie" designed by L. David Ash (responsible for the '50s Ford crest emblem and Crown Victoria glass-tops of '55-'56) with help from Bud Kaufman, design engineer Dick Noe, interior design is credited to Jim Powers. The back story about this car is rather interesting as it was in part a study in working with high-end fashion designers. It was displayed '58-'59, and after being damaged while being delivered to a show in Budapest, Hungary it was shipped back to Dearborn and subsequently destroyed by dropping it from a forklift. The small car looks similar to the "Monaco" concept by Wes Dahlberg for the "Stylerama" program (similar to GM's "Motorama" design show).

Product Planner for the '60 Falcon, code-named XT-Bird when in development in '57-'59, was Tom D. Case, who was also the product planner for the first and second generation T-birds.

Much of the info above is from the book "Ford's Design Department 1932-1961" authored by Jim & Cheryl Farrell.It has pics and bios of people that may have worked on the Falcon.

4. Back up from the depths.

5. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Have you checked out fordimages.com?

6. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

Wow, it took all those dorks?

7. Xtreme13

Xtreme13
    from Kentucky

That's hilarious.