Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wanted,,,,, Don Gibbs,,,,, Scam ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 19, 2018.

1. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

I have a post in Wanted for a 40/41 Willys hood, I've been contacted by a guy calling him self Donald Gibbs saying he has one, doesn't add up as he wont give me a contact number and won't say where he's from. The pics he has sent me I've found on the net myself by just googling Willys hood. When I said I won't send money with out speaking to him it's all gone quiet. The strang thing is he's contacted me via The Hamb and when I click on it it comes up Error , Just wanted to warn people also Don if they are using your details. Cheers Wayne.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Stinks like last weeks Limburger....

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Thanks for the heads-up..........Sounds like a scam to me.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  4. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm guessing Don is a marine biologist on a research ship in the North Atlantic and only has access to the internet once a week. The front end is in storage at a third party facility that is close to your location but can only be accessed by his sister's boyfriend's ex-roommate's landlord - But if you send the money via PayPal he'll be happy to have a transportation agent set up delivery. And I suppose he's insisting that you pay prior to engaging the transportation agent - to protect himself from all the scams out there. But to be fair he will have a PayPal security agent manage the transaction. If you send him your email address he'll have the PayPal security agent contact you.

Sound legit

Hnstray, FlyFisher, pnevells and 3 others like this.

5. jll34

jll34
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from USA

As a follow up to 39WILLZ post, I also had a wanted post for a pair of the 4 1/2" Vintage Hal wheels and Don Gibbs contacted me. Said he had these and wanted me to send him a list of other parts I wanted. If I remember correctly, he had signed up on hamb the same day he sent me the message. He signed up as antiquex. Beware. I have no intention of getting bent over

6. jll34

jll34
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from USA

I forgot to mention in my above post he had these wheels but also wanted to know what else I needed.

7. BJR

BJR

Have you reported this to Ryan or one of the moderators?

timwhit likes this.
  8. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

He is doing the same stunt on the Antique Automobile Club forms as well. Same M.O.

9. I got burnt by one of these Nigerian princes a few years ago right here on the HAMB.
    My fault did not do a back ground check on him, all the signs were there..... after I looked!!!
    He had all the right answers and sounded legit.

Caution on all fronts

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

better just send him money anyway, those Willys hoods have to be hard to find

pat59 likes this.
  11. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Must admit it took me a little while before I realised it must be a scam, should of worked it out straight away really when he said the hood was 400 bucks. Yes he also asked what else I needed as he had lots of parts. Shit bags make a living out of ripping people off really winds me up. Not reported it to any one will contact Ryan and let him know.
    Thanks guys.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

For my own protection, and its just the way i do it. On here, i check how many post the seller has.If he does not have, oh a couple hundred, i don't buy from them. Thats just the way i do it.You can bet your 32 3 w if someone has screwed someone on the hamb, it will be posted.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^ This is a good start, but not always the key. I have a friend who likes to swap and trade around and buy/sell parts, but he doesn't get on HAMB much, if at all except to advertise, says he's too busy, even though I have told him that's the reason he doesn't sell much here.
    And I have a '40 Ford coupe that I paid a helluva lot of money for and am still very happy, with no "buyer's remorse" after about 3 years now of ownership. But the detailed description and pics emailed to me after a phone call answer to the guy offering it for sale and then finding only a few posts all on classifieds on a search, were so nice that I checked further, and judged him at least legitimate enough to warrant a trip to look the car over.
    Wound up buying it and very happy with it. There's all sorts of ways to research people if just look around on your PC. And a personal visit is worth the cost and expense if it's an expensive item.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

This is why I deal face to face with cash. I catch a lot of crap for driving long distances but I want to actually touch a part before I lay out any money. I may spend money on gas and occasionally it's not what they described but all I spent was gas money. Don't end up with parts that aren't what they claimed they were and/or no parts at all. Same way when selling. If they can't meet me then they don't exist. Might cost a sale but I still have my part and somebody will be looking for it. Works well.

SPark

Jermo and JB_roadrage like this.
  15. k9racer

k9racer

If the Don Gibbs is from Alabama. Old race car driver owner sponsor has a large construction company. Coal mine in Ky and so forth... I will let him know if some one is using his good name for other than good busisness .

loudbang likes this.
  16. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Please let him know the first pic I was sent was of a 40/41 pickup and I remember that for sale on the Hamb around a couple of years ago.

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

He tried the, I have the part, make a list an "email" it to me, said he was 65 yrs. Old, an had joined the Hamb that day, every time I looked him up, he was in the wanted, I reported him, an everything I saw of him is gone, couple days ago...Antiquex was the name

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  18. Had a guy reply to my For Sale add on my 60 SD, joined 1/1/18.. lots of questions..etc.. asked him a few questions back..same PayPal b.s. .crickets after that

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app