Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Falconred

Falconred

I has a lot to do with when it was actually raced and the engine combination. It could have been anything from an FX in the early years to a Modified Production or Gasser later and/or any or all of these. So many of the old cars were raced until they were un-raceable and started to get stress cracks or such and were then junked or placed in some ones pasture an forgotten.

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

3. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;Roy Potter stopped by my friends shop today,says he remembers the Falcon.I will get more details tomorrow[missed the call tonight]. ROY.

4. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

that is great!!! i would love some history, especially to know when it was painted. on the hood scoop, forgot the photo--looks like a bird coming out of an egg? maybe something else, but thats what it looks like.

5. jadua

jadua

Been a long time since ive been on here, trying to post photo. Thanks for the kind words Roy.
    Stan the Man
    A/FX falcon

Attached Files:

• txt.jpg
      txt.jpg
      File size:
      491.7 KB
      Views:
  6. 65COMET

65COMET

Stan;welcome back!! I had not seen that picture,that is a wheelstand!!!!!! ROY.

7. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;I gave them your contact info.Any word from John or Roy?If not,I will contact John again. ROY.

8. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

thanks for the info!!!

9. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Scoop is a 68 race Hemi if that helps any.

10. SOHC427

SOHC427

gtbpapp,

What a great find. I heard Mercuryjunky, and Fast Eddie talking about it.
    Hope this site sheds some history on your car. Feel free to drop that 64 comet out at my house, with all those Bronco's, and that 64 Galaxie, on its side!

Eric

11. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;I sent you a PM with some information about your Falcon. ROY.

12. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

thanks!!! i talked to roy today. he said he traded exhaust work on his el camino for the paint on the car. it was built for their son who was in trouble and to help him go a different direction in his life. he remembered all the paint on it, and he named the car. he said it was a well known car in poway and raced at orange county raceway. he seemed to think it was painted mid 70's. 75-76. he thought it ran in the b/fx class. he was going to paint another car in the area this came from, and maybe get some more info on it. he said he remembers it was a pretty trick car built right for the times, and ran fast.
    thanks again--pappy.
    i dont know fully what i am going to do with it, as i have a 64 comet also. i may sell both cars, and finish my challenger i have had since 87, and my daughters duster we are working on.

13. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;I'm happy to have helped.If you decide to sell the Comet there are a couple of Colorado guys that may be interested. ROY.

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Just got this B/FX tribute car on the road for the first time . It belongs to my brother.Running a 302 / 4 speed 9" w/5.43 gear & Crites Thunderbolt traction bars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

65comet--- i am probably going to sell both cars, the falcon and the 64 comet. here is a pic.

Attached Files:

16. RUSSCO:

Diggin the B/FX look

Fast Eddie

17. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

just listed the falcon on ebay. it will be cheap, but hope it goes for more. my daughters car is like a sponge, but she is my daughter. her 1st hot rod, like i bought my 1st 67 camaro in 1979. oh well, what goes around comes around. thanks!!! the 64 comet will be next to go. great site!!!

18. SOHC427

SOHC427

gtbpappy, pm me about the Comet,

Eric

19. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;I told you the Colorado gang would be calling!!! Eric NEEDS the Comet!!!!!! ROY.

20. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, I need another car, like another hole in my head!!!, But I do like that 64, and it would look good by that 65 that's still in Texas!!
    Eric

21. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

eric--sent e-mail and pm. did you get them?

22. SOHC427

SOHC427

I did, and will call,
    Thanks

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;looks like you may be sleeping with your dogs!!!!!! ROY.

24. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Headed to Henderson, NC for the weekend at the 10th Annual East Coast Drag News Hall of Fame & Car Show. Hope to see lots of Fords & Mercurys from the 60s & maybe meet a few HAMBers.

25. MD1320guy:

Have fun, it's a great show, I usually go every other year and go back to see my Mom for her birthday. This year I'll be heading out to Bakersfield with Ole MercuryJunky for the Hot Rod Reunion, Somebody has to clean his tires and check pressure. LOL!

26. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Fast Eddie

How's the Falcon wagon comming along? Haven't seen any updates or pics lately.

27. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

well--sold the falcon to a guy in california. he said he owned a drag car called the nevada gambler. he is going to put a motor and trans in the car and take it to bakersfield this year for the hotrod reunion. wish i could go. if anyone sees it, maybe send me a picture. thanks. now to sell the 64 comet.

28. 65COMET

65COMET

gtbpappy;I will be there racing my Comet,if I see the Falcon I will get some pictures. ROY.

29. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

I get frequent requests for information about my 1965 AFX Falcon. It had all-fibreglass exterior body panels, except the roof. People are always asking how could this have been an all-fibreglass car and not been a tube frame. The Falcon had a production steel underbody, cowl, roof, greenhouse, and standard A-Arm suspension in the front and leaf springs with a 9" Ford Axle in the rear. The following is an excerpt from my last reply to a H.A.M.B reader asking for information about the body of the Falcon.

My Falcon was built up from a body-in-white, as were many of the AFX cars and later Pro Stocks. The difference being the body-in-white I started with was originally a styling buck for Ford Motor Company. Styling bucks are used to build full-sized replicas of a future products, before the tools and dies are commissioned, so there are no metal stampings available. The process starts with the styling clay model, and fiberglass casts (splashes) are made from the full sized clay model, and from these casts molds are made, and then fiberglass exterior body panels are made from these molds.

The 1964-1965 Falcon had different exterior sheet metal from the original 1960 – 1963 Falcon, but the underbody, cowl, engine bay, floor pans and green house (structure around the windows and doors) were the same. The Falcon Futura fastback was released in 1963, which had the same hardtop roof design as the 1964 -1965 Falcon hardtop. The body I used to build my Falcon had started out as a '63 Sprint, and The Ford Design Center removed the hood, fenders, door skins, quarter panels, and trunk lid, the replacement fiberglass '64 - '65 style quarter panels and dashboard were bonded to the sheet metal inner body structure with epoxy resin, the same way as the Corvette and Viper bodies are constructed today. The new outer door skins were also bonded over the '63 steel inner door structure. The hood, front fenders, trunk lid and bumpers were cast with flanges to be "bolt on" parts. So the car was then a complete body, with outer skin of fiberglass, and was then fully built up with hand-made prototype parts to be a fully drivable styling vehicle for wind tunnel, engine cooling, and other testing, and for pictures for advertising.

After tool and dies were available to make steel parts, the car was no longer needed, was stripped to a bare body shell, and was destined to be scrapped. I had enough connections in Ford to save it from the crusher, and with a truck load of service parts from Bob Ford, (complete interior and exterior trim, wiring, front suspension), help from DST, Bill Mason, Paul Harvey, Charlie Gray and a couple of Bob Ford Technicians I was able to build the car to an NHRA-legal AFX car. The only extra structure I added to the car was frame connectors, a well-braced roll bar, and lift bars with a fabricated cross member. Unlike the DST Falcons though, I used the Bill Stroppe technique for modifying the spring towers and front suspension, as it was easier for me to do with only the basic tools in my garage. The Falcon has been extensively modified by subsequent owners, and although it is functional, it is no longer period-correct.

Following are several pictures of the car taken at it's shake down runs, later at a NASCAR Drag Race Event, and later at a nostalgia event with Brent Hyjak.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;Thank You for clearing up a load of misconceptions about the Falcon! I'm sure you have heard a lot of them! That Falcon has always been one of my favorite cars. ROY.