Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want a Heavy Flake paint job any sugestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pistnbroke, May 27, 2008.

1. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking to lay on some heavy "Bass Boat" type red flake paint on the chopper project anyone got any advice on this? I have 2 guns to shoot with, HVLP nice and expensive at the time, and a Sharp siphon gun. I have been told I need a certain size tip to shoot heavy flake. Any one done one and help me out? Also I may be doing 2 colors any help in laying out the lines (scallops)? I have done stripes on Mustangs and laid out flames with fine line tape, they have turned out good.

Attached Files:

2. tinyt869

tinyt869

hey Pistnbroke im not a painter but the Jan 08 issuse of Ol Skool Rodz has some very good info on pg 17 about flake paint jobs so if you can find a copy its there id post it here but too long

3. to get into the BIG flake you'll need a BIG tip.
    generally speaking you can get a tech sheet for the product you wanna use or contact the manufacturer for a recommendation on tip size.

you can get an AirGunza (iwata) from coast airbrush for 99-129 in tip sizes up to 3.5 if you wanna shoot the traditional method, OR you can use the flake buster to shoot dry.

if you want two colors of flake you'll have to lay your first color. bury it in clear, wet sand then come back and tape and mask then shoot your second color. problem is when you pull up your tape, you'll get nice rough edges.

my suggestion would be to shoot flake, tape, then candy the area. comes out much nicer.