Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walt Scadden's Metalworking Book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintageride, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Vintageride

Vintageride

I cannot tell you how pleased I was when I received this book a few days ago.

Folks need to know this one is out there. He provides step by step procedures using traditional techniques, tools, and materials. Louvers, brazing, english wheel, etc.

Plus you cannot beat the book's cover.

I found out about it through an email from a friend here in Michigan. See link below for more information.

Vintageride

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/walt-scadden/

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I know Walt very well. His talent is off the charts. He is also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Took one of his 2 day English Wheel courses at Manchester Motorcars a few years ago, well worth it, learned a lot. Very down home common sense practical approach to fabrication work.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, will be checking it out.

Ed Purinton

4. $65 for a 58 page book? :eek:

5. Never2low

Never2low

I hope I will be as pleased, when my copy shows up. I just ordered it:D.
    Thanx for the heads up.:cool:

6. GuyW

GuyW

Looks like an instant hot rod collectible, besides being useful...

7. Vintageride

Vintageride

I learned allot about lead work and a roof chop with complex curves.

Yes, it is like no other book. See photo of the book below.

Vintageride

Attached Files:

8. Never2low

Never2low

I placed my order Sat night. Got an e-mail, yesterday, saying they had allready sold every thing they could get thier hands on. Was told he is making more, which should be available within a week or two. Guessing instant collectible might not be an over-statement.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Several years ago, on another forum, some guys questioned the cost of books by Fay Butler and Lazze. Their books were $1.18 and $1.22 per page. Depending how well done the book is, it is probably in the ballpark cost wise; which this one is about $1.12 per page in comparison.

This guys really don't make that much on these books and hopefully they will be successful and make more.

I'd like to see a good review of the book and it's contents.

10. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Should be a good book, he's a very good teacher. About five years ago I took his English wheel class at Manchester Community College and also an advanced class from him at Manchester Motor Cars.

I posted a few pics of the beginner projects I did in class, and also some of Walt's home made English wheels.

Attached Files:

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like something I need to invest in. BTW, the price is cheap if you learn just a couple of things that allow you to shape metal better.

Frank

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Walt is an outstanding man as well as fabricator. There is little profit in the books for him as they are done in low quantity. The little he makes off these books, as well as some of his seminars goes towards running at B'ville and Maxton.
    I have learned more than $58 worth of knowledge on several occasions from talking with him.
    Not to mention he'd give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.
    Don't think of it as a $58 dollar book, think of it as $58 to learn something. First time you use one thing learned from the book, it has paid for itself.

13. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Recently completed a thorough cover to cover study, here are my impressions:

Timeless info on history and the basics as related to traditional rod and custom building. How to get started in the right directions keeping in mind your skill can only develop and grow from practice by you. What has worked for the author and what hasn't while acknowleging the methods and results of others. How much tooling and equipment you really need for projects one off through production. Where you might save a buck and where you probably won't based on his attempts, sucesses, and failures. A lot of good tech tips and ideas on home built tooling and equipment plus some handy reference charts and information in the back. Some personal experiences recalled that verify he has truly "been there and done that".

All writen in a language I understood, no extra fluff, no bull. Well illustrated.

Two thumbs up from here, has earned a spot on my reference shelf right alongside my Machinist's Handbook and the Key to Metal Bumping.

Ed