Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WALDEN SPEED SHOP - HIRING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Nori II, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rob Nori II

Rob Nori II
    from California

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I can take a brand new bolt and a brand new nut with same threads and strip them - good with JB weld too - guess I will pass

3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Wish I was 30 years younger, Bobby is a master builder.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Where were you 55 years ago when I chose Porsche?:eek:
    Good hunting. Your design/fabrication/execution is beyond reproach.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

What a great opportunity for someone.

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

On the East, Dam

7. chrisp

chrisp

Too late I was already hired some place else...

8. cfmvw

cfmvw

I hope you hire a really good candidate; a lot of places are scrambling to find people with trade skills around here. Funny how those same companies used to look down on the trades; now they are finding out that you really DO have to know what you are doing!

mad mikey and 19Eddy30 like this.
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In the early eighties, I left a very lucrative job as a lumber grader, $20 per hour, good money at that time. All my life, I'd wanted to be a machinist. Took a year off work, went in debt, went back to school. Graduated, went looking for a job as a machinist, after a 3-4 month hunt, got a job for $12 an hour, they wouldn't offer an apprenticeship, because well hell then when you finished it, you'd want more money, right? Who wants to pay more, right??
    Over the next six months, I got three phone calls from a friend of mine that had been hired as a charge hand at a new sawmill, and needed a first-rate grader. I said no twice. Started back at $22 an hour. Fifteen years later, all these companies started bitching, because all the journeyman that had trained in the fifties were starting to retire, and there were no young guys ready to take their places.
    You know, its funny, but its really tough for me to work up any sympathy for the companies that are bitching about the lack of good machinists out there.;):rolleyes:

mad mikey likes this.
  10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'll sweep the floor and get lunch, that's all the energy I got

j3harleys likes this.
  11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

George after 50 years as a machinist I have to agree witrh you, but there are factors that involve politics Ryan doesn't want on here that have a lot to do with the shutdown of apprenticeship programs in all the skilled trades all over this continent.
    I have personally seen the results and the day is coming when what few big industries we have left are going to regret not fighting the
    BS from govt. policy makers and courts.
    Many of the big ones, especially major airlines, are already feeling the pinch.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Well if I didn't own my own business and could drag my family down with me I'd come to work just to watch and be around the cars!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app