Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wake up ! It's time, Sept 2009 Banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brjnelson, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Don't know the mileage effects, but Ford dealerships offered a United oil bath air cleaner for BB's that would be driven in dusty conditions. A gooseneck off of the carb arched up over the head to the filter.

Here's a link to Vince Falters Ford Garage website: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/3233oilbathaircleaner.htm

I've been searching for one forever. I have finally given in, and am currently making a setup using an oil bath from a WWII era Waukesha 4cyl APU, some scrap plate and some mandrel bends from JC Whitney.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Well she finally home! Went and picked up my A chassis today got her home removed the rear bumper and running board brackets and started cleaning her up.

Lots more to do. Next step is finish the insulating and sheetrocking the garage then build a couple work benches and a little better organizing so I can work in the garage this winter.

Attached Files:

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

4. You lucky DOG!

More pics are necessary ASAP...

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

6. Is that a Riley with dual/double Winfields???

7. All I get is super shiney boxes lol. Dang Bill thats some serious loot on your trailer. I bet they got more in the chrome bill then I got in my whole build.... well almost. Awesome is all I can say.-Weeks

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

over head cams
    [​IMG]

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

10. lorodz

lorodz

question about banger.how fast or powerful are these motors rate them from stock to built up with compressions and speed parts what do you think ...or give me examples im interested in useing one in my model A ..

11. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Fellas,
    I need your expertise. I purchased a non running banger and upon removing the oil pan have discovered that ALL 4 ....yep all 4 rods are loose and knocking on the crank. Would you consider this catastophic? Do you think the crank mains are toast as well? What procedures could help me determine if this thing is just a money pit? Any advice will be helpful!!

12. brjnelson

brjnelson

Deadelvis, pull a cap is babbit moving ? Got shims under caps ?

I put up a post about the speed meet with footage from the back seat :D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397852

Boy does the car ping & lugg when I go into 3rd gear, this year I put on a different carb manifold & exhaust, it did not ping before with the stock exhaust man and a 81.

13. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

looks like a lot of fun
    we need to see so good pics of you car....
    Bill

14. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Ill pull those caps tomorrow and check for shims.

15. A-Wall

A-Wall

Thanks! learned from me? good to hear that as much of a newb i am, i'm contributing something to this group!

Thanks man!

16. Sorry, I meant which aftermarket head is that (Riley, Roof, etc)?

17. A-Wall

A-Wall

Starter Fun!

Ive had this problem where my starter has been spinning up, then grinding, then engaging. I pulled the starter off my spare motor and then pulled the starter off my motor and noticed the bendix's were different, one has a spring return and the other doesn't and other differences as seen in the picture.
    [​IMG]

so i put the spare starter on and it engaged smooth but cranked slow then started to smoke, yikes!

so i decide im going to make one good starter out of two and put the bendix that works on the better motor. i get them apart, WRONG, the shaft diameters are different! but only where the bendix slides over. so i totally take them both apart, to find out the spare armature is in better shape just covered in grease and the commutator is plugged with grease and copper but not very worn. cleaned it all up, put better armature and my current body with the better brushes and had to use the matching mounting flange with the armature. worked out perfect and cranks faster then ever and engages every time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I wish I got to talk to the guy but someone will know what the head is. With the sun it was hard to get real nice pics :cool:

19. Pay very close attention to how everything comes apart. My thoughts are your babbit is shot from what you describe. Any idea when the last time it ran? Can you talk to the person who parked it? The other thing is you will have a little side to side play (thats normal) but not up and down on the crank if your babbit has given up. I am interested to hear back on this. Find out who the closest person that does babbit pouring and line boring near you is. Experience and reputation also if there are more then one should be taken into consideration. Bangers are about par price wise with anything else you want to run pertaining to an engine. It just depends on how fast you want to go and how much longevity you want to build into them.-Weeks

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  20. A-Wall

Either one of those starter drives should work. clean the old grease off and just give a very light coat of oil or a light grease. Wipe off the extra. If you get too much they will get full of stuff and not work correctly. They are just 2 versions of the same type of drive . The one with the spring is the later version but both are still available.

21. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Weeks...brjnelson,

OK. Here's the bad news. Upon pulling the rod caps I first noticed that there are 2 different size nuts on the caps and a heavy aroma of burnt oil. I again check the slop. both side to side and about a 32nd up and down on each rod. I manage to get the caps off and it is pretty much the same for each babbit...some slight cracking on the babbitt surface on the rod side of the con-rod. There are no shims to be found anywhere and not only that, but it appears some farm boy may have tried to file down the caps (there are file marks on each one of the four caps.

With those removed I grab the crank and give a big tug and yep....knock knock knock. Has this happened to any of you fellas or am I just born under a bad sign.

P.S. The engine cond was unknown by previous owner. Thanks for your interest guys.

22. A-Wall

A-Wall

i imagine the spring loaded one wouldn't engage as hard as this one does, which would be nice, but it seems it would need a very fresh starter to overcome that spring. the springless one kinda slams a little to start but works every time so i think im just going to leave it in.

thanks for the info

23. TV

TV

That engine is a Hal with dual overhead cams, the head and all the parts will make the banger run like an Offee. I have one in a box that i have never assembled mine will take a lot of $$ to get running. The head is a work of art but you really need to do a lot of work to an A or B to make them live with this set up.--TV

24. RussTee

RussTee

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, I've got a lean running issue. I'm using the Weber DGV carb, It seemed to work fine with the old motor. Now, with the 60 over motor, it seems to be running very lean, the plugs are almost white. I think I'm gonna install a fuel pump, I don't know if jetting will help, or the carb just needs to be "tweeked". If I go with larger jets, the bowl will just empty out quicker. So, I think I will just try the pump first, I suspect gravity just can't keep up with demand.

I have a detonation concern. It may be related to my lean condition. I was also thinking of getting the curve kit for my Mallory dizzy. I ordered the timing kit from Snyder's, I need to know exactly where my timing is. Hopefully this will cure my woes. Any thoughts???

26. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I will be running a pump on mine- but I also have a tank on the back of the car, not in the cowl.

27. Piewagn

Piewagn

What's the best overall timing for my banger?? At what rpm?? Tonight I indexed my pulley and put a timing light on it just to see if I got any movement, seems like it takes alot of rpm to get it moving. At what rpm should my timing start to advance??

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Pie,
    The centrifugal advance should start to come in by 800 rpm and be all in by 1700 - 1800 rpm.

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Couple of update pics of the Dodge Bros. motor

Attached Files:

30. I just installed a Lion Head on my .80 over motor and also have a detonation problem. I can't use any advance or it knocks. I talked to a guy at the speed meet, he said those heads are known for that. Anyone else know more about this problem?