Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wagons & surfboards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Where I live it makes more sense,I still have my old Cypress Gardens water skis but I don't ski anymore so they will remain in the rafters. :D HRP

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Latigo

Latigo

image.jpg [Where I live it makes more sense,I still have my old Cypress Gardens water skis but I don't ski anymore so they will remain in the rafters. :D HRP[/QUOTE]

Hey HRP, maybe one of these with those old skis!

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ "Church!" ^^^

3W JOHN, dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Pendleton reissued those wool shirts 10 years ago as the Beach Boys were initially called the Pendletons.

3W JOHN, Torchie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Or Hodads......

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Special Ed like this.
  7. dweb7321

dweb7321
    from kentucky
    1. A-D Truckers

I live in rural KY. I’d like to get a rack on my 62 Invicta wagon so I can put canoes or kayaks on it, maybe some fishing rods. Lots of lakes and creeks/rivers and campgrounds in my area

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Latigo, 3W JOHN, dan31 and 3 others like this.
  8. You need a paddle board....^^

3W JOHN, dweb7321 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My friend did a 49 Suburban a few years back, used my toboggan on the roof to represent our Midwest culture, it received rave reviews over the usual surfboards. ;):D

3W JOHN, dweb7321, Nezzy51 and 5 others like this.
  10. Definitely appropriate for the location. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I said to my son one day after I finished my '46 Woodie, "I may get a surfboard and hang it out the back". He asked me, "are you going to learn to surf"? I said "no", and he said "why try to be something you're not, that's being a phony. So, no surfboard.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  12. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

I sometimes put a surfboard on some of my cars or in the back of a my 57 pickup and I live in missouri. I do it to stand out, I think it's funny and really don't care what other people think... not too many surfboards in missouri but I always tell people it's my alternative to get home due to all the rain we've gotten this past year...lol to each their own...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and enloe like this.
  13. Slopok

Slopok

Or a banjo!:eek:

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I just ordered a couple of these stickers for my 1/4 windows. il_570xN.1303518826_i7l6.jpg

Hodad
    50's term for a greaser, someone who hung out at the beach, but definitely not a surfer. Hodads were into cars, music and were a type of counterculture style. These were NOT posers, as some of the other definitions had stated...Surfer's and Hodad's would be completely separate groups, that often clashed with each other.
    in the beach communities in the 50's one was either a hodad or a surfer. Hodad's wore a very specific style of clothing.....black shoes, jeans, and a t-shirt (preferably white). They were NOT posers, and wouldn't be caught dead hangin' with a surfer.aka...low riders

15. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I’m a HoDad. Don’t know nothing bout Surfin, although I live within a mile of the Ohio River. I’ve collected Drag Race memorabilia all my life, but I’m not a Drag Racer. I love cars, especially the H.A.M.B. FRIENDLY. What’s my point... I guess I don’t take any of this to seriously. If somebody “Poses” by setting up their ride a certain way...what’s the harm. If we all enjoyed the same things exactly the same way, we would probably be Robots. So, if being a HoDad is someone that thinks, or looks at things thru a different lens...then I’m a HoDaD.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So long as he don't put stick on portholes on his surf board what's to problem? Wait!, you mentioned the surf board was mounted to the roof. Did he use two face tape?

17. Yup. me too. I plan to pick up a surfboard to display on my non HAMB friendly car. in the next couple of weeks, and I'm in Missouri.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Lou kriger like this.
  18. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Keep the HoDaD faith@Fat ASS Whitewalls

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. primed34

primed34

At the risk of pissing some off I put surf boards in the same group as cry baby dolls.

20. I live near surf beaches and even surfers don't drive around with boards on the roof. They take them to the beach, surf and when they get home they take them off. Or more likely these days they are so short they fit inside anyway.

I guess I just don't get decorator items.:rolleyes:

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    White t-shirt, Levis, for us, black tennies turned into desert boots for the drag racing/hot rod scene. If you throw in a flat top hair cut with longer comb back sides, we had the makings of the 50s, early 60s hot rodders. But, that looked like the epitome of the term "Hodads" that popped up in the early 60s in So Cal. Initially, going to the beach in the 58 Impala was not going to work for us, but it was a start. We could just feel that stare and back talking..."Here come those inland hodads with their hot rods, trying to be surfers..." What we did in the water proved to the lookers/talkers that we were real and could out surf most of them, locally.
    upload_2018-4-7_5-15-5.png upload_2018-4-7_5-17-3.png
    The culture of surfing was different everywhere, but in So Cal, the boards were just too long to put inside of station wagons and sedan deliveries until the late 60s, early 70s with the advent of shorter boards from La Jolla. Then, boards could be inside of those surf vehicles. For us, the look of longboards on top of the station wagon, vans, family sedans was to make room inside of the vehicle for us/friends and stuff. When we were not surfing, the boards came off for fear of thefts.

The idea of cruising around with surfboards on top of wagons/family vehicles was not in our style. The faster we could get them off of our cars, the better it was for the social aspect. We were surfers, but did not have to broadcast it like it was an addiction or such. On the road or visiting surf spots, the boards drew too much attention from the local police who treated most of us like vagrants on the lam.

Jnaki
    But, as the saying goes..."to each his own." "actions speak louder than looks..." If you can stand the heat, stay in the oven...or something like that. Ha ! If you are showcasing a car show display of a woody wagon with a beach scene, then a period correct, longboard and other stuff is good. If you put a short, tri-fin board on top of the old woody or station wagon, that is not the look from the 50s or even the 60s. One must be "politically correct" these days.

22. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

[​IMG]
    Woody surf wagon

When I don’t have the surfboard on the wagon people ask “where’s my surfboard?”

When I do have my surfboard, people ask “where in Ontario do you surf?”

It’s just a prop for car shows for me, I was born 30 years after the car was built so I’m a poser anyway you cut it.

When I took the wagon drag racing the rope I use to tie the board on the roof came in handy as a tow rope when my friends bantam blew up at the end of the track.

[​IMG]
    Woody tow truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

To each their own... but it makes for great shade for my 5 yr old....haha Screenshot_2018-04-07-09-26-38.jpg FB_IMG_1523110861074.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I don't have a wagon but if I did I have no need for a surfboard,a ladder or a canoe would be my choice.

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. You could always make the surfboard more than a prop but adding legs and making a picnic table when you stop for lunch. HRP

primed34, Nezzy51 and enloe like this.
  27. Surf Boards, Everybody's posing for something, most of us on here are 60-70 years old posing 17 years old, I've got to go put on my blue suede chucka boots and decide which pose I'm going for Greaser, Surfer, Racer, Rod or Custom. Lets see I'll pick Greaser, Chopped Merc, a job and money for the dance at El Monte Legion Stadium. My brother was a surfer, I always got on him for being a beach bum. He worked 1 day a week and hit the beach the rest. I worked 5 days a week and hit the dance. In my 70's I can still dance, never could surf with a board.

Lou kriger likes this.
  28. Latigo

Latigo

"QUOTE"I live in rural KY. I’d like to get a rack on my 62 Invicta wagon so I can put canoes or kayaks on it, maybe some fishing rods. Lots of lakes and creeks/rivers and campgrounds in my area

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

Out here in Central Oregon we can see the change of the seasons when the ski racks from winter change to kayaks for summer. Personally, I enjoy seeing a vintage surfboard on a wagon. Just part of the cars personality.
    In Chevy Chase's "Vacation," Grandma was strapped to the roof.

enloe likes this.
  29. Mike

Mike

20180331_131907.jpg I have no issue with people who carry surfboards on top of their wagon for a decorative / novelty purpose. I think it's a bit on the pose, but it doesn't bother me.

I am a station wagon nerd (I own 7 of them), and a surfer (with very limited skills) who lives 400 miles from the beach, I generally don't drive around Phoenix with surfboards strapped to the roof of my machines. A pal of mine throws an annual summer kick off party with a surf/tiki theme. For this gig, my pal likes me to park my '29 Woody on his front lawn with an old long board hanging out the back. That's a special occasion, and I'm happy to ham it up and do that for him. Other than that, if I'm hauling a board or boards in or on one of my heaps, there is almost always the intent to get in the water with them. Just a couple of weeks ago, I blasted out to San Diego for a week in my '65 Ford Country Sedan (wagon) with my 9'6" Hobie and my 9'3" Yater Spoon strapped to the roof. I managed to get in the water with the Yater 3 times that week. Bitchin'.

As for the guys calling "poser" on people with gasser style cars that don't actually get drag raced, almost all the modifications we make to our cars are race inspired in some way. Lowering, removal of fenders, chopping of tops, etc. all originated from racing on the dry lakes. Folks apply those modifications to their street cars because they plain look bitchin'. Should the most beautiful lowered, chopped, and fenderless '34 Ford 3 window be called a "poser mobile" if it isn't actually raced at B'ville or El Mirage? I don't think so. All of us here are emulating something.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018