Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wagon hunt may be OVER!!! 1952 DeSoto wagon is HOME!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jan 11, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

True. The wagon was decidedly not stock under hood, and all the way back underneath. The DeSoto will follow that path. The Pontiac 8's were boat anchors when new so it's comparing one maritime securement device to another...

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

My first choice for it would be a tall deck Desoto over the Chrysler There is a 341 on Hot heads swap meet for $1500 less carb and generator in NH. Listed in December.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A little addendum to this thread, and the final chapter in my mild custom '63 Riviera project (somewhere on there I have a build thread for that, but, I'm to lazy to update it). I was working on the Riv the other day, thinking, "Now I HAVE to get this at least done as a driver and get rid of it." Then I thought, "Why even bother? Any money I spend I'll be lucky to get back, all the time will be taken away from the wagon, and the LONG neglected T'bird, which I like a LOT better than the T'bird. I should just sell it now, as is and take my lumps." So, a quickie ad here, and on that social media site everybody bitches about, and in 10 minutes I had a buyer, and half a dozen more lined up, and money in my paypal account. I got within $500 of what I've spent, I don't have to do anything aside from help him load it, and now the wagon is completely paid for. I'd call that a win. My wife never like the Rivi anyway, even though I called it her car, mostly to try to smooth over the fact that I had bought it without telling her... 69436125_10220726577936958_3206994278253330432_n.jpg

4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

flynbrian48 likes this.
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What has two thumbs and buys parts for a car that's not even in their garage yet? Maybe this guy... I'm not now, and never have been, crazy about the toothy DeSoto grill. Several of my pals have kidded me about the car coming with a Mercury grill, and a couple of guys WITH chopped Mercs have already asked if I'd sell the grill! It's tempting. This one, a Dodge, is on eBay, and a FB friend sent me a link to a CL ad in ND for an Imperial grill with the park lamp bezels. Best of all, they'd deliver it to the town in MN where the wagon is! This is fun already, and I don't even have it here yet! :p s-l1600-2.jpg CustomNewport.jpg

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If you update the trans, you will loose the e brake. So you will want to change the rear end. Mopar B body donors are good, so are early Dakota, Jeep, and explorer if you are contemplating 4 wheel discs. Early Daks can also be a good front clip for rack and pinion and front discs and just about any Mopar engine .If you stay stock frame up front you will find it boxed. Ford aerostar front springs and moving the lower spring mount to the bottom of the a arm will give you about a 2 inch drop. Early 50s Ford F1 shock mounts can be used to improve front end ride. Also early Cherokee front sway bar will work to update the front end. If you change the wheels mind the back space on the rears. max depending on aspect ratio is 4 inches. A few folks have used rwd Mopar police spec wheels and 225 75 15 rear tires to good purpose. I believe they are 7 inch wide.

Now you need to start looking for a Howard Cunningham roof rack, and a U Haul chain on bumper hitch.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    flynbrian48, brad2v and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Check this one out.... DeSoto2.jpg DeSoto.jpg

9. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

I would love to find those two small quarter moldings below the tail lights for both sides
    My Plymouth would love them
    Any leads would be appreciated
    John at j[email protected]

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just seeing this. You've gotten some solid, accurate information/ advice concerning the body and drivetrain bits. Congrats on your new Mopar, I'm subscribing for updates!

chryslerfan55 and flynbrian48 like this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Forgive my lack of knowledge, are the Dakota and Jeep (I'm guessing Cherokee) rears 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle? A "B" body Mopar is the intermediate body like Aspen/Volare? I looked recent, thinking a 300 or Charger might work, but they're MUCH wider. I had though of simply doing Scarebird front brakes, I don't want clip the frame. The late 40's early '50's Chrysler cars I've had were great drivers, so I wasn't thinking of changing the front aside from a static drop. Thanks!

harpo1313 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

B bodies are the mid 60 coronets, chargers, belevederes, satellites, I've got a chart some where I can dig up but 5 boltb Daks and 80s Cherokees (not grand) are proper bolt pattern, if you can find a mid 80s 2wd drive 4.0 Cherokee they have a 355 to 1 limited slip Dana rear unit. The explorer, ranger are correct lug pattern. All the above are one half to 1 inch difference backing plate to backing plate. Spring perch surgery required.

I did see on line some one is now doing a narrowed crown Vic front cross member down to 61 inches if I remember correctly. Not traditional but the bolt in members carries all steering and front suspension assemblies. If staying stock up front the alternative shock mount fixes most of the boulevard float associated with the 40s and 50s Mopars.

flynbrian48 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You might consider an Explorer 8.8 rear end. You get rear discs, easy e-brake hook up and u-joint options, 5x4.5 bc, any parts store will have what you need for repairs, and it's about as cheap as a rear swap can be.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m the same way! Never cared for the toothy grilles! I like that top one on the rusty front end.

j hansen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Crocodile

Crocodile

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm going to hit our local Light Truck U-pick yard for an Explorer or Jeep axle, limited slip would be the ticket, if I can find the 2WD square Cherokee that'd be ideal. Thanks for the tip! I've found a roof rack too. I had thought the first gen Dakota's were 6 lug, I had one (new), but that's a LONG time ago, I can't remember what it was! Good tip on the narrowed Crown Vic front, I narrowed a Chevy pickup crossmember for my Diamond T pickup, so I think that job would be in my wheelhouse...

EDIT: OOPS! I didn't realize the Crown Vic crossmember was aluminum. Back to plan A, Keep it Simple Stupid, and use Scarebird front disks and leave the thing alone! :p

Thanks for the great advice!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  17. Go man go....

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

Dakotas have 6 bolt wheels I would go with got gas on the Explorer axle you get disk brakes on a 95 up they are 59.5 drum to drum most are traction loc 3.73 is popular great with over drive. And the 8.8 is stout.

20. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

IIRC the Explorer 8.8 center is offset to the passenger side. Meaning there could be driveshaft tunnel interference.
    Pretty sure the last generation Dakota is 5 lug. Two wheel drive anyway.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks, I'll leave this as a build thread when we get the car here and start. That is weather dependent, the car is in western MN, on the edge of the prairie. Not quite in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there...

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Speaking of spending money on car that's not here yet, someone offered me this KILLER "Car-Pac" roof rack, near mint, for $700. They're still made, $1500 new. Must....Resist....Until.....it's.....Here....

Attached Files:

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I actually have driven and like the old MOPAR cars, I think moving the shocks as suggested, and disk brakes would be all in want to do. This one has power steering already, so, I'm going to resist blowing it completely apart.

kiwijeff, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I would scrap the clip idea ,like was said those cars float with proper maintenance . Fat swaybar and a disc swap are all you need.that poncho looks good also ,but.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and flynbrian48 like this.
  26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Early dak with 3.9 v6 had five bolt wheels.

27. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

You've done well flynbrian! I normally have to pay someone to take it and then I have to deliver it..... for free if course!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We'e going to western Minnesota next weekend to get it. What a great destination to take my wife in January!

Peanut 1959 and oldsjoe like this.
  30. Crocodile

Crocodile

It's not so bad. Some of us are dumb enough to live in Northwestern MN year round...