Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wagon hunt may be OVER!!! 1952 DeSoto wagon is HOME!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jan 11, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Johnboy34 like this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, but I am considering getting a powder coat gun and toaster oven, and trying the silvery powered coat on them. HF has the stuff.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3553.JPG IMG_3554.JPG

Get me some TRIM.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Crazy DeSoto Wagon question...

Does that tailgate spring just run open like that in the finished car? It looks like it rubs on the edge of the gate, which I assume is an optical illusion, but even if not, it looks like a flesh pincher if you were standing next to it when closing the gate. I'm probably reading into this too much...

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, it doesn't rub on the gate nor the body, and I can't see any way one could get one's fingers pinched. It's so heavy that you have to be behind the gate to open or close it, not off to the side sticking your fingers where they don't belong.
    In1952, manufacturers figured their customers weren't total morons. ;)

AHotRod, brEad, AndersF and 11 others like this.
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I miss those days!

cfmvw, brEad, Jrs50 and 5 others like this.
  7. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

You might look at Columbia Coating, they have an "almost chrome" that looks really nice.

I put a gas range in the house after removing the electric. Couldn't give the thing away! Thought! I'll use it to powder coat stuff! Works great, wired it with the same plug as my buzz box, put wheels on it, it hits the 400 needed to cure the powder in short order and I don't stink up the house (don't ask).

8. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, a buddy of mine posted this on Face space a while back. It speaks to what you are saying here...:eek:o_O:confused::rolleyes:

"If you think you are smarter than the previous generation…50 years ago the owner’s manual of a car showed how to adjust the valves. Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery."

OahuEli, bchctybob, Tman and 12 others like this.
  9. impala4speed

impala4speed

That's awesome!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Harbor Freight powder coat rig, $69.99. A pound of "polished aluminum" powder coat color,
    $15.99. Yard sale toaster oven, maybe $10? I'm gonna try this...

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's probably just the angle of the photo above. It looks like it is right at the edge of the gate.

My kids would have messed with it while I was closing the gate, but again, in 1952 if they got their fingers smashed we would have just told them "See! I told you don't stick your fingers in that. Now go to your mom so she can sew that back on.":D

12. George

George

supposedly a long time back a guy heard about getting high on acid and shot some up.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wagon is really looking good Brian! The hinges are fine but if you want, next winter take em off and send them to me and I'll have my chrome shop make em shiney! If they are stripped and tightly sanded (2000 grit) I bet they would cost less than $300 for the pair.

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Bryan.Looking good sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I may take you up on that.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This goddammed car. :mad: I put the stainless trim on the bottom right side of the w/s, and thought I'd set the center divider bar on temporarily, which I hadn't closely examined other than to see it was pitted as badly as the rest of the die cast stuff on the car, and something was amiss. It didn't fit the top. Was I missing a piece of stainless that ties the the two halves together?
    No, the bloody thing is busted. There's supposed to be a (very delicate) upper curved part that captures the stainless and clamps it down onto the gasket. That is MIA.
    Happily, when the two monkeys I hired to set the w/s first bent the stainless trim beyond repair, I'd searched for, and found a complete set of the stainless, and the center bar, on eBay. I'd managed to bump out and polish an extra piece I had, and ended up not buying this set. It was still listed, so I hit the "Buy it now" tab and for just another $100 :)rolleyes:) it's on the way.
    On a happier note, I got the drivers side rocker molding trimmed (I think it's an Imperial piece) and mounted with the plastic clips I'd bought, the rear fender spears on, all the fender welting in, and the rear bumper properly fitted and on forever 4D9537FF-C89B-4A8E-859F-B944E8CA4E1C.jpeg EB70ECBD-CD8D-42F4-8ABB-3B73C92AFB3C.jpeg without scratching, denting, or ruining anything.
    So, there's that...

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You are doing a really nice job at light speed. Bravo!

I have made note not to buy a Desoto unless I get much more patient with pitted up pot metal.

Tman, flynbrian48, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Every piece of trim on it was absolute junk. Which is why it’s wearing all Chevy trim and bumpers.

19. Hey Brian. I always enjoy spending someone else's blood, sweat, tears & money .. but maybe you can just tape off, scuff & spray those hinges/hinge screws .. body color, while it's on the car ???

I dunno' if chrome is better, worse, same .. than black ? ( & I love chrome )

By no means disrespectful intent. Just looks non-factory. What'd do I know ? Maybe it is. Did they have black hinges ? Is it too late to paint the car black ?? :eek::D Just kidding. :)

I'll be over there in the corner, with my trap shut. Thanks for sharing, as always. Love it.

20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The hinges are really big and clunky looking, which I blame on Desoto, not Brian. I'm not sure black, chrome, or body color will change that. Chrome makes the most sense, as there is other chrome already there on the tail. It's really easy spending someone else's money though... I think black is fine.;)

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

I think painting the hinges body color or black and accenting them with pin striping might be cool. They're to big to hide, might as well make a feature out of them.

brEad, Thor1, flatford39 and 2 others like this.
  22. flatford39

flatford39

Don't know what the fuss is over the hinges. They actually look pretty cool to me and I am not a gun person. As said above I would make them a feature not a bug with a little pinstripe.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I (briefly) considered making some hidden hinges for it before I painted it. I had to make all new hinges for the tailgate of my son's '65 Ranch Wagon, they were pot metal and had broken into like 4 pieces each. It wasn't too tough to reproduce them with some 3/8" boiler plate, bronze bushings and shoulder bolts from the hardware store. This would have been more challenging, as I had no patterns to go by, not near as much gap between the body and gate, and I'd have had to cut notches in the gate for clearance, so I followed the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" method. I'm getting used to them, although they stick out like a sore thumb, no matter what the finish is. 60010385_10219789275824991_1819370411696062464_n.jpg

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the hinges are cool! I'd make em shiney but that is what I do. :cool:

25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Your plan is perfectly fine. We just have nothing better to do than quarterback from our armchairs.

It's a DeSoto... the hinges are character marks!

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3574.JPG IMG_3575.JPG IMG_3578.JPG

It’s out.

bchctybob, dwollam, 40two and 23 others like this.
  27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That’s one way to look at them!

28. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's amazing how much the bumper changes lightened up that car. It really is coming out nice!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I think the single best body mod I did. I HATED the originals, largely due to the silver paint the PO had covered them with.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Most prescient comment in this entire journey...:p