Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wagon hunt may be OVER!!! 1952 DeSoto wagon is HOME!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jan 11, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1488.JPG

I’m done for today.

2. Usually, I'm a fan of original cars, and these are close to my heart, having owned a similar New Yorker wagon for several years.

I wasn't sure I was gonna really like the changes to the rear bumper, tail lights and reverse lights, but, I really do. The overall look is cleaner, and I especially like the tail lights.

Love these funky wagons.

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd make the Ford tail lights brake lights too. People will be looking at them since that is the normal location for brake lights and may not pay attention to the ones under the window. With both sets working, no one will have any excuse for not seeing them.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! It was mainly a matter of economics, the Chevy bumpers were $179. each, the license guards $139, the bumper guards were $50, the taillights were $50 each, and the parking lamps were about the same. The original die cast stuff I don't think was worth having re-plated. Plus, I like 'em too!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's the plan. I have clear (illuminate red) 1157 style LED's for 'em. Putting an LED strip above the rear window as well, like people put between tailgate and bumper on a pickup, that'll also be wired with the lights. Brake light, turn, and they have a clear LED strip for backup lights. It'll go on the stainless window channel, will go almost invisible when not lit.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Gotcha. Way I read it the Ford lights were only going to be tails, that was my concern. Of course with the way people drive today, the whole rear end could light up and some of them wouldn't see it!

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Didn’t mean to be unclear. They’re dual element sockets (they can be had with single), so it was a no brained to get LED bulbs. Got LED’s for the Chevy taillights too, passed on the plastic lenses with built in LED’s. They just don’t look “right”.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh yeah. The paint job is below horrible on it. Base/clear, but AWFUL. The weird thing is, the car appears to have been COMPLETELY apart to paint, body off, engine out, all the trim off, glass out, but NO prep done (at least none apparent). Bondo on dents over paint, they must have sanded some spots because there are sanding marks everywhere, but it's flaking off cracks, door edges, fender edges like it wasn't sanded, terrible body work on some dents, on whats proving to be a rust-free car that had never been painted before this terrible job. It's original colors, which, given that they're awful colors, gets no points from me. Perhaps the PO did the best he could, and it's clear someone tried, but the execution is really, really awful.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1490.JPG

Got the hood aligned. Sort of. Gaps are pretty even at the corners, the right side pulls away from the fender in the center. It’s even on the left all the way down, so I don't see how any fiddling with the adjustment of hood and/or fenders would help. Looking at photos when it came home, it’s MUCH better than when I got it here. Short of welding 1/4” round bar to the hood edge to make it fit, it ain’t gonna git no better...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welding 1/8" filler rod and then grinding it to the contour will do it. It's a lot of work. I've been screwing with my Buic is hood for days to try to get the gaps right and not have edges rubbing. Those damned side latch hoods are diabolical!

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1520.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1526.JPG

Since I’ve been busy aligning things (my hood fit struggle, see “Panel Gaps”), I spent this afternoon getting the tailpipes better. They needed to be trimmed, and the left side was bumping the gas tank flange. I cut some things, hit some other things with hammers, and slash cut the tips. Me like.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1532.JPG

Filling holes, saving souls, it’s really all the same...

hotrodharry2, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1535.JPG

Look Ma, no holes!

hotrodharry2, 40LUV, brEad and 6 others like this.
  14. flatford39

flatford39

What kind of sanding grinding disc did you use on those mig welds so as not to warp your hood.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

4 1/2" flap disc, 60 grit. I skip around and make light passes, same as welding. It'll take a little filler, mostly just to fill grinder marks.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1544.JPG

All the extra holes plugged. Now it’s gonna get real.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1564.JPG

The sleek, mustard brown an spoiled cream beauty is outside! Sure, it smells like mouse pee, the lights aren’t wired, there are only two lug nuts per wheel and wires are dangling from under the dash and beneath the car, but that’s all easy stuff. The body work is mostly done, and unless I find something horrible under that TERRIBLE paint job, it’s all sanding, a little filler and blocking. I feel good .

Work is going to slow a bit as I’m starting a big home remodeling project, but I’ll at least get. The jambs painted and get the minor mechanics done before snow flies.

I feel REALLY good about this project.

18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang, Thor1 and flynbrian48 like this.
  19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I had a moment of panic (well, extreme concern) when it wouldn't start this afternoon when I went to pull it out. It coughed, quit, started, then chugged and gagged, finally sputtered to a halt. Then I thought, "Maybe it's out of gas". Which was the problem. A couple gallons in the tank and it lit up after cycling the fuel pump a couple of times. Whew...

20. loudbang

loudbang

Now that is is "Nosed" and "Decked" it qualifies to be considered a Minor Custom. :rolleyes:

Johnboy34 and Thor1 like this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The very definition of a mild custom.

22. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Wagon is looking great hope to see you on the road soon......I have really enjoyed ours this summer.
    See you on the street
    Low Rider

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

flynbrian48, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing progress you have made on this great wagon. Some inspiration for you, these DeSoto badges are hard to come by, one of these would look cool on the tailgate.
    Desoto badge.jpg

24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A distant cousin to your DeSoto Firedome wagon, this very cool Chrysler Town and Country wagon has some very distinctive chrome trim, this one was for sale a few years ago at the Portland swap meet.

IMG_3514 (2).JPG IMG_3515 (2).JPG IMG_3516 (2).JPG

john W., brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. That red Chrysler wagon is a 1951 New Yorker Town & Country - quite rare. Wheelbase 131.5”, 6” longer than the DeSoto featured in this thread. Only 251 produced in model year 1951, and NY wagons weren’t available for model year 1952. NY wagons came back in 53-54, but only with the 125.5” wheelbase. The extra 6” were from the cowl forward.

Size matters.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That Continental kit is just awful. This looks like the owner went down the isle at Western Auto and just bought everything they had in 1951. Ugh. (Edit) Note, my car has a 126.5" WB, due to my inability to measure the spindle center line. So, it's a hybrid...:p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    hotrodharry2, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That is a cool badge. '41? I'll look for one, as opposed to having a new one laser or water jet cut from SS. All the die cast on this car is just wasted...

hotrodharry2, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Totally agree! As an employer of mine, many decades ago, used to say..”that looks like a saddle on a sow“!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I really thought I'd have this painted by now, but, retirement has been busy and I didn't want to spend all summer in then shop. We've started a big home remodel project that'll take up most of my time and energy (I have less of that than I did 30 years ago), so it probably won't be in color, but I want to get it jambed so we can get the interior and all the mechanicals finished up this winter. I did drive it from the shop to the garage on the house, where it's setting right now, so, it's not too far.

30. ken bogren

ken bogren

Here's a different take on a DeSoto tailgate. 1949, the center section of the rear bumper apparently folds under as you lower the tailgate.
    1949-desoto-sw.jpg