Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wages at restoration shop questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwmpa, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I've worked at a restoration shop for almost 4 years now. And with January coming up it'll be time to start talking about wages and a raise. It was almost 3 years before I got my last raise. Recently we hired another employee that has been talking to me about wages and what we should be making. I was curious as to how to figure this. I've been doing a lot of research into the subject talked to several other shops and from what I gathered and figuring averages this is what I found out. From everything I've read and the people I talked to they usually start people out between $14-16 an hour for the first 90 days then if they bring them on full time it's been an average of $1.50 raise and other raises based on what they do at the shop. I've also seen that the lowest paid employee is usually a 3:1 ratio to the labor rate. Ours is $55 per hour. So that would be $18.33 per hour. And the manager would make $23 per hour. And I would fall in the middle. Around $19-20 based on my time at the company. We don't really have a benefit package other than a 401k. I talked to other local restoration shops and the average between the 5 shops around is $19.73 an hour for a body man/fabricator. I make far less than this. So I was curious what is the average range I should be making here. I've also seen shops that do a commission to for the amount of work turned out and based off of total profit anybody working in this system how does it work. Just want to know what the situations are like in other shops so I have some leverage in Jan

2. You can ask for a raise but be happy you have a job if you don't get one. HRP

3. Or you can go to work for a regular shop and get regular journeyman wages for whatever job it is that you do. From the way you are talking wages are pretty low where you are located.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2YHQDw&usg=AFQjCNEUsIiIFJyxrsJpR1FviU9Fgz1h2g

Go hre see aht the avergae wage is for whatever it is that you do in your area and if it is higher than they are paying in the restoration shop go get a regular square job and do your hobby at home for fun.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2!!! In this economy just to have a steady pay check is a blessing. Under the current conditions I can see the specialty auto services business take a real hit as less and less play money is available for these toys we hold so dear.

Frank

5. larry k

larry k

you don't get a raise because some guy at a different shop gets paid that much, you geta raise because you did a good or great job or you boss thinks you aren't paid what you are worth. you need to grow up and quit thinkin to much,that is your rate at that shop,and that is where you work ! go tell this to a guy that does not have job at all ,and go by what he says ... NUFF SAID ...

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Pretty sure we are all lucky to be working. Things started going a lot better after I learned to not worry about what some one else was getting.

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Lot of variables come in to play. It's not always about the money. Do you like what you do? Is it an easy commute? Do you like the people you work with? If you want a raise you have to show that you are worth the money. Keep track of your accomplishments and show the boss how you are making him money. I would love to have a steady job, doing what you do. I would be excited to go to work every day. I haven't had a raise in 5 years because of the economy.

8. What they said..also, best not to discuss wages with another employee (especially a new one), leave that between you and your employer.

9. Best not to discuss this stuff on a public forum. Just remember. There are a hundred guys that would step right into your job and be happy at that wage.

10. Torchie

Torchie

People talking about their wages is like schoolkids comparing grades. If you are not satisfied with what you earn then do something about it.
    Talk to your employer. Not a co-worker and not us.
    Posted by a retired business owner.

11. i can see his point that he wants to get paid what he is worth compared to others in his area. but in my observation it seams no one anywhere is getting a raise....they don't have to give them

in my present part time job i have not had an increase in the 3-1/2 years i have been there despite glowing performance reviews ....and i'm sure i make a LOT less than you do. i do however get benefits of health and dental insurance , 401k and vacation/holiday pay and that is worth a lot at my age. not a lot of part time jobs have that. i'm sure management is thinking that i'm not going anywhere and they don't have to...and they are right

i can't see how it would hurt to talk to your boss about it in January , but i wouldn't expect anything

12. years ago when I was younger and moved faster (faster being a relative term) I used to work flat rate. That is how I managed to get paid what I was worth. There is a flat rate manual that covers literally everything and anything that can be done in to a car. if I was working faster on a given day and finished up everything say 15 minutes faster than the flat rate manual assumed then I made more money as did the shop.

All repairs done to a vehicle are based on flat rate, if you take your car in for a collision repair or a tune up the manual gives the alloted time for that particular job and your employer bases his estimate on that alloted amount of time plus materials.

That is one way to get paid what you are worth. If you are dinkin' the dog you don't make as mush as if you are cuttin' a fat hawg in the ass.

13. teejay99

teejay99

Your $55/hr shop rate seems pretty low to me. Whatever the case , salaries and benefits have to come out of that money as well as shop expenses . I'm sure your boss is concentrating on keeping the business above water , in this economy . As others have said , be thankful for what you have . Maybe do work on the side for extra $$$

T

14. :cool: 1. You have a steady job with a 401K plan.
    2. Your shop labor rate dictates top end wages.
    3. Can you take a project from start to finish without
    supervision?
    4. Do you bring in new work to the shop?
    5. What is the labor rate at other resto shops in YOUR area?
    6. X2 don't discuss wages with other employees
    7. X2 cheese with your wine(ing)
    8. X2 be careful what you discuss on an open forum........
    Have a Merry Christmas.....

weld on.........

15. Also think about the shops overhead possibly going up at this time of year - many rents, insurance and others costs go up at this time.

An alternate to an increase (if denied) is to start a commission spiff for you. Say a few hindered bucks for jobs you get in the door.
    Or a percentage perhaps based on referrals that leave at a profit.
    Either way be cool about it

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  16. Midget25

Midget25

When you talk to your boss in January you shouldn't tell him you have been talking to the other help about wages, and for sure don't tell him you have checked with other shops. If you do he may offer you to go there to work. If you are doing a good job and deserve a raise he already knows that, now just convince him to give you more.............

17. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

x2......

18. SOHC427

SOHC427

Things are tight for the Bosses too, in most cases.
    Be glad you have a job, today.
    I hate what I am doing, but the benefits, keep my there, more than anything.

19. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

The best way to show you are worth more to the company, is to show the company you are more concerned about the company than yourself. If you have never ran your own company, you have no idea what it takes to do it! You cannot expect to make top wages without having a stake in the company. For example.

Do you handle customer problems at night or weekends?
    Are you the one that gets called during the night to fix a broken car part?
    If you accidentally damage a customer's project, does it come out if your pocket?

These are things that a higher paid employee has to take on.

As for doing work on the side. I would fire you on the spot if I found out that you were taking business away from the shop you work for. If you want to do something different on the side, I would have no problem.

Just my 25 years of thoughts.

-Danny

20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The reality of the situation is that you accepted that job at your current rate. The time to negotiate is when you get hired.

It is not good business to just bump somebody 20% even if they are doing a great job. The only way they are going to do that is if you are indispensible. Usually you can only count on a cost of living increase (unless you are promoted and take on more responsibility) during an economic slump (which we are in).

Be careful. Going in and demanding a certain raise because of other shops and what other employees make (you shouldn't be discussing this in your workplace) is going to get you in trouble. I did that when I was young and stupid and I got shown the door over $.25/hr. Course that was 30 yrs ago, but same rules hold now.

21. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Owning a shop, here are some things the owner considers:

Do you own all your own tools? and I mean all your own tools, with the exception of maybe large tools like welders, plasma etc?

do you waste supplies?

do you take a cigarette break every 30-45 min?

are you on time/ dependable?

do you work efficiantly?

are you capable of the highest quality work? Can you truely metal finish? Just because you think your the stuff, down't mean you know what "the stuff" really is.

If your leaning, you should be cleaning

are you working at starting time, or getting there at starting time, same with end of the day, you should be being productive up till quitting time.

will you stay over and work extra if a project is behind?

Non of these are directed at you, just observations on employees in general, an employee that fits these criteria, generally are paid well what they are worth to keep them there and happy, I'm sure there are lots of things I forgot, but you get thye idea

22. Think of your shop profit this way. Your boss estimates a job at one hour labor which is $55.00 and you get say $16.00 per hour. You take 2 hrs. to finish job thats $32.00 the rest goes to shop bills and owners wages and that $23.00 dosen't go far in todays economy ! So if employee wants to see a raise he's got to produce with less hours spent on each job.

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

1st ,you have a job,I can understand you wanting more money but you said it took you 3 years to get your 1st raise. If you listen to a new guys BS what will happen is him and you will both be out the door. Do your job and do it the best you can. To many good bodymen and fabricators looking for just a job so appreciate what you have. Just how long have you been doing this kind of work ?

24. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Another bit of advice regarding discussing salaries with other workers....it is to the newer guy's advantage to agitate you into leaving....he has a clearer path up if you are gone. Some stuff is best not discussed with your peers....like salaries, your sex life, and similar stuff that could be used against you or would embarrass you.

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can ask for a raise and if you don't get it, go to another shop. You always have those 2 choices. Just remember: don't quit a job until you have another one. Another thought is: in invisable ink on your check every week is writin "paid in full".

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I can't believe the heaping pile of discouragement this thread has created.

Doesn't anyone have pride in themselves and courage to stand up for themselves? This guy went 3 years without a raise. Now he's finding out that he's being paid below the going rate in his region. You tell him to "suck it up" and be thankful.

If the boss is struggling, I agree that it's bad timing to be seeking an unreasonable raise. I also agree that if he's a slouch, he shouldn't be pressing the issue at all.

Everyone here is crying on the boss's behalf without a clue whether the boss is hurting or not. A good employee is worth their weight in gold and the boss knows it. He's not going to fire his best employees just because they ask for a raise.

I know a local shop that charges "book" to their customers, and when they do things like wheel bearings and brakes they charge for each item even when the labor is the same for each component. Then they require their workers to beat the book or they're out the door.

27. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

nobody "gives" money away...........you have to "earn" it

28. After owning a business for over 30 years my advice is to bust your ass.
    Never feel that you are owed a job or that the company is taking advantage of you. Do everything you can to make the boss money and try to become his best employee. Be on time all the time. If you can't make it for some reason, call. Be the first to pick up a tool and the last to lay it down. The other guys may call you a kiss ass. Just ignore it and do your job. Measure twice cut once. If you fuck up, let him know rather than let it go out the door wrong. If you run out of work ask him what's next. If he's not there pick up a broom. You will get noticed either good or bad. Never worry about what the other guys are making, just do the best you can and in the end you should be compensated in relation to what your worth to the business. If you feel you deserve a raise, ask for it and let him know why you're worth it. If you think you're getting screwed, find another job, but give him sufficient notice. Never burn your bridges even if the guy's a prick. Good luck

29. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

If you were a good employee and came to me, hat in hand, asking if there was something I could do to help you out...I would tell you I'd see what I could do, and probably end up giving you 25 cents/hour more. I'd like to give some of my current employees a very nice raise but the numbers just don't add up right now. As a business owner, I haven't had a real "cost of living" increase in years. Every day I have to do more with less. I would agree that if you are really hustling and turning out a nice volume of top-notch work, it is bound to impress the boss and he will work harder to find you that money. Might also want to ask about commissions, if you don't already get them. I offer my guys up to 5% of the net invoice on all work they personally bring in.

30. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; </style>In the eyes of your boss, there&#8217;s 3 ways to make a raise pencil out: shop rate goes up, owner takes a pay cut, or employee becomes more productive. You need to focus on the third. Go in with examples of how your work speed has increased, returns have decreased, and you are generating leads and loyalty. Do NOT dwell on what other shops pay (trust me, your boss already knows his competition&#8217;s rates and salaries).

Now here&#8217;s the important part: even if you don&#8217;t get the raise, you need to act as if you did. Because you&#8217;ve put the boss on notice and now he&#8217;s watching. If you live up to the expectations you set, you&#8217;ll be in a better negotiating position next year. And you might even find yourself quietly getting that raise sooner than that. If you slack off and grumble, the boss will figure it&#8217;s only a matter of time until you walk, and it&#8217;s not worth investing anything further in you.

Good luck to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.