Register now to get rid of these ads!

VW wiper motor on a Shoebox, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Hepcat, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Hi all!

I'm about to change my vacuum wiper motor on my 1950 Shoebox for a VW beetle 12volt wiper motor and would like to see if someone here on the HAMB has done it already so I can get some ideas on how to do it.

I have searched the Forum but didn't find anything on the subject. I have also read an article in a book on how to install a VW wiper motor on a Shoebox but i thought they did the install to messy.

//Hepcat

2. DragRacingTV

DragRacingTV
    from So Cal

never done it, were you planning on using the entire wiper arm assembly? if so, use the later model motor, i think it's '71(?) or so.

3. maniac

maniac

I have an early VW motor in my 38 Chevy, I made a bracket to make it fit the original bracket and bolted it up, I was able to hook the stock wiper arms to it, only thing on mine is because the wiper is a little more to the left side, the throw on the pass side doesn't give it a full sweep, never bothered me though, so I never fixed it.

4. We adapted a VW wiper to one of my street Fiats. Not too difficult at all.

5. Any special reason on why to use the later model? Because I have found two wiper engines from around the late sixties, 68 I belive.

Seems like the best way is to buy a VW wiper engine with bracket and start experimenting! As you have said, it shouldnt be that difficult.
    But if anyone has any more tips or ideas your welcome to post them!

6. josh77

josh77

68 up will work fine. All 12 volt by then.

7. synchro7

synchro7

I used a modified 67 Beetle wiper system on my model A. I went with a 67 because the motor is smaller. I now have 2 speed, self parking wipers.

8. Berky

Berky

I used a VW motor on my 51 ford along with the stock vacuume wiper parts. I dont have any photos of the process, but it was really easy. You will need to custom make a bracket to support the electric motor and you will want to play with the lenght of the arms to make sure you get the full sweep. This can all be done outside of the vehicle.

9. johnnyink24

johnnyink24

I have a 49 shoebox that doesnt have wipers ( kinda sucks in NC) Is there a how to about this? Mines a 12 volt and the mounts are there but I have no idea where to start. Thanks

10. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I have a volvo 140 on my desoto that i have adpted to the original wiper mecano
    Iy have same system as a shoebox

11. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

There is a complete "how to" article in the book "thunder road-flathead" by Bill Sinclair. You use the wiper set-up from a 12v VW bug. My brother did the modification in his '49 merc. really works nice.

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

67 and later= 12v
    66 and earlier= 6v

It is also stamped on the motor. The 67 was a one year only and pretty hard to find. Best bet is 68 and later.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sweet. I'm gonna do this on my '51. Thanks.

Btw...post #5000!

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

BMW 325 wiper motor, bracketry, wipers, relay...sequential operation an extra bonus.
    Just happened to fit my '55 F100! Looks factory, but with improved blades...