Register now to get rid of these ads!

VW voltage regulator with Ford generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dak Rat, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Has anyone had experience with using the VW electronic volatage regulator with the Ford generator? This is supposed to work well, but I would like to hear from anyone that has actually done this. The regulators are small, compact units and I would like to use one if they indeed work with the ford unit. Thanks alot.

2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Don't see why it won't work as long as they are the same type of system. Electricity doesn't care.

Devin

3. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

If they are eurpean ford with a bosch alternator there is exaktly them part on both

but if you have a old bosch with external regulator and contact with the things thats go to the colector on screw with 2 M4 screws on you can use the new model with internal regulator on
    and it works have tryd this more than one time

sorry for my bad english hope you understand what i mean

/Stefan

4. They are expensive.

5. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

WRONG
    I got one to try with my 12volt generator because they are so cheap.
    They are not 3 relay type they are electronic this means no sparks and or power glitches.

Beetles from 1971-1973 run a standard 12 volt generator with a Bosch electronic regulator.

i thing it will fit inside a gutted old school regulator case

[​IMG]

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQVolkswagenQQSuper_BeetleQQBoschQQVoltage_RegulatorQQ19711973QQW0133-1798834.htm

When i finally get around to wiring my car i will let you know how it works!l

6. Tank

Tank

Im interested in this. Was searching my parts supply for my project. Im running an early for gen on it. This may be useful.

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Remember its 12 volts I had to change the field windings in my 6 volt generator for some windings from a 56 f100 to make it 12 volts

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Let us know how that works out - I like it. Solid state regulator SHOULD eliminate voltage spikes that cause problems with some ignition systems (MSD, Unilite, Pertronix, etc).

9. George G

George G