Register now to get rid of these ads!

vw bug steering box? Options for T style projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicfins, Jul 4, 2008.

1. classicfins

classicfins

I have been searching and going over every post I can find about steering boxes and wanted to bring up the subject once again. I am building a roadster pickup from scratch ('26 Dodge truck cowl) and unfortunately I'm on a tight budget. Rather than a reversed corvair or vega box, I was hoping to find a simple alternative from the 50's thru late 60's. I have a box from a 1970 VW Beetle I thought about using, but have never heard of anyone using a vw box other than from a bus. Looks to me like I could flip the box up on it's side and it would be fine. I may have to switch the pitman arm to pointing up instead of hanging down, (or vise versa... I can't remember which), but that wouldn't hurt would it? Is there a reason I don't see anyone using a box from an early bug? If I could use my VW box and save $100-200 for the cost of a corvair box I could put that money to good use elsewhere. I just want it to be safe and work properly.

Also, what other options are out there? Low buck, easy to find, without it looking like a dork built rat rod with a honking big Buick Regal or Ford LTD sector or some crap like that hanging out there. :rolleyes:

This thing will be fenderless and hoodless and the front end is a '37 ford axle with split bones tied to a 1 1/2" x 3" tube frame. Power is a small block dodge V8. I need something that will fit along the inside of the frame or on top and not be too big. Any suggestions, how to's, or what not to's will be greatly appreciated.

Also, would a box from a 53-56 Ford F100 work? I think I know where I can get my hands on one of those.

Attached Files:

2. customcory

customcory

I'm thinking about using one in a project I got going. I'll be using it with the old ford I-bean and all. I wanted it because it has a quick ratio with about 1 1/2 - 2 turns to lock it up on a bug. It would be easy to mount .I would like to hear more too!:D

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Try a 37-48 Ford box . Seems to be a fair number of them around from fat fender IFS conversions. Either run it cross steer as stock or turn 90* under the frame with pitman arm up ala mustang. They are worm and roller just like the 'tang

4. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

I used a splitwindow bus box and column....works perfectly without changing anything! you need a pre 67 box...lookfor one on www.thesamba.com. lots of people are using this same box and have been for years..good luck!

5. it depends on how you want to mount it.

model A
    model B
    F1
    mustang
    early ranger
    bmw 2002
    the list goes on and on.

6. I know it's not traditional, but a friend has used Suzuki Samuri boxes- they work great and are pretty cheap and plentiful.

7. I used a VW bug steering box on a 27 modified years ago. I made a bracket out of 3/16" to bolt it to and welded it to the 2" x 4' tube frame. I modified the pitman arm to get the right "throw". It worked well and steered great.