Register now to get rid of these ads!

VW bug donor panels for model A's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vin-tin, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Did anyone on hear ever use V-dub bug door skins as a patch panel for a model A door. I've heard the panel's contour is almost an exact match. What about the V-dub roof as a filler for the "A" roof. Oh, this would be for a 1930 A pickup. I was walking a local salvage yard today looking for cavalier parts for my daughter, and i spied the bug. Most everything was stripped except the doors. The doors and roof are straight as arrow too. He said $100 bucks and there mine. Anybody ever use this stuff on the A's?

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

even though they are very expensive,,VW bus slide back canvas top ,,I think would look cool on a model A

3. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Dimensions are WAY too big, a ragtop beetle sun roof would be more realistic. I've heard of the roofs being used for filling on A's, quit a few other odd things too. I'd run a search here.

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i would just buy the patch panels. or bring it to me n ill do em

5. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

The door skin contour should match in more than one direction. Top to bottom, and front to back. There are ways to make it fit if it doesn't, but they involve a lot of time, patience and some skill. Any panel you pick that is close can be re-contoured to fit one way, but the contours will change in the other direction as you re-form the piece.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

6. fitzee

fitzee

I have a bunch of this stuff kicking around but I`m a sucker for cool shaped steel.Might be just as cheep to just get a few door skins. you have a belt line on the bottom of a model A door skin you have to deal with and this is hard enough to roll when installing the door skin.

Attached Files:

7. A model A top is more or less flat, enough so that late model station wagon tops work as filler. A bug is round. I don't see how that would work. Or do we mean a new beetle? They're a little flatter.

8. Forget trying to use a VW roof section. Door skins might work, but as mentioned above the bead at the bottom will requier some fancy bead rolling and flanging.

9. Swifster

Swifster

I keep waiting for the bug guys to show up. I'm sure they ask if anyone has used 'A' metal to patch a VW...:p

10. El Bombero

El Bombero

I have built lots of VWs. The metal is very thin. Your best bet is to step up and buy the correct patch panels. you will save a ton of money in the long run.

Mike

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

One of the things that I've noticed about VW tin, is that it is soft; almost dead when you are working it. I have used VW latches and window regulators on other cars though.

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  12. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Yea, your right about the beetle doors being thin. I tapped on one and it did sound thin. As far as buying whole door skins like someone said, unless i missed somebody, i don't think anyone makes the whole skin, just the lower patch. My doors are rotted at the bottom but they also have a bunch of dents around the hinge area. If anyone knows of full skins for a pickup (same as 2-door sedan), please let me know. As far as the roof, i'll keep looking for something. Thanks guys.

13. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

The skins from the belt-line down, are available for 28-29 A's but i've never seen them for 30-31's. I don't think the contour is the same.
    Correct me if i'm wrong.

14. 22 1/2" high door skin - Synder's - for 30-31 Tudor Sedan door - A-436-BC, $73.00 each. If it's rotted much higher than that, it's probably easier to just get another door.

Edit: Mac's has them also, A41000604 for 30-31 Tudor/Pickup $67, size given as 24x29 inches; and A41000610 right or A41000611 left for 30-31 Coupe for $74. Covers from door bottom to door bead.

15. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Thanks Rustynewyorker. Last time i checked nobody carried them. Great. My doors are actually only rotted at the bottoms. But with the dents and all, i think a new skin would be the way to go. There's actually a local guy not far from me that sells new / used model A parts. He once told me that he will match Snyders prices plus i don't have to pay any shipping costs.