Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Voodoo Larry and the true story of "The Voodoo Idol" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hi Trencher !

You're right about "the old days"...they had plenty of old iron to build with that was still around, and lots more in the bone yards that were still stacked with Shoebox Fords, 49-51 Mercs, 49-52 Chevs, etc.

In fact, I have a 1963 J.C. Whitney Catalog #191 (Pages 220-233) that belonged to my Dad and they have a whole section on AVAILABLE parts, equipment, accessories, wiring harnesses, tail lights, High Compression Cast-Aluminum Heads,etc., for 1928-1931 MODEL A FORDS ! All still available by mail order in 1963 !

(Great Examples: Need a replacment, original style chrome plated hubcap for your '28-'31 Model A ? .98cents a piece will do the trick ! New pre-cut floor boards to replace your rotted-out old ones ? Yep, we got 'em, pre-drilled and ready to install ! $8.50 for the Pair. Oh, and, those High Compression Cast-Aluminum Heads will run $49.00 each.)

BTW: Larry explains about the help he got with the car as far as paint, interior, etc., at about 2:55 sec. into the Interview. Check-it out : http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage147.html

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

2. VooDoo Larry

VooDoo Larry

I have had quite a few phone calls since this posting was started. Thank you for the comments and opinions- both good and bad. I know that this car is not for everyone, it was done as a tribute to Gene Winfield in the style he would have done 50 years ago. The car is over the top, but I built it for myself and this is what I like. It has only been widend four inches, just appears way wider in photos. In regards to the comments about my character, involvment in the car club and participation in local shows- I find it unnecessary to bash me on a public forum. My personal life is that, personal- between myself and my family- and does not involve anyone else. I don't mind discussion on my cars or my shop- both good and bad, but I would appreciate my private life to stay private. Thank you for all the compliments, it really does mean alot. VooDoo Larry

3. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I have met Voodoo Larry. Met him at Salina this year. Seemed like an upstanding guy. He was really interested in what the"shadetree customizers" were doing and offering advice. Real approachable.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yup, personal attacks are lame, you are handling this with grace, good for you.

5. talent

talent
    from IL

Those people on this forum who bash Voodoo Larry personally only make themselves look bad. If you don't like his work, fine, that is your prerogative, but don't drag the man through the mud.

Voodoo Larry is real, more so than 1/2 the posers on this board. He is not a "weekend car guy", he lives, sleeps and breathes Hot Rods 365 days a year. The man is a craftsman and all around nice guy.

If Larry was such a douche as several of you have eloquently put it, why is he so popular in the community and continues to grow? Think about it.

6. rideswithchuck

rideswithchuck
    from Midwest

I've know Larry since he went by the name Hep Cat. He is a talented stand up guy. The Voodoo Idol is a homage to a time gone by and he has nailed it. This is the kind of custom that went to the big car shows to see when Roth and Barris were in their prime. I'm a lucky son of a bitch to have gotten a ride in that car.

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

So one post and it's to bash us on a forum you just joined. Way to get started. You haven't been here long emough to give us shit nor have you been here long enough to know that half of us are posers.

But you are right about one thing. His name shouldn't be dragged through the mud whether or not you like him.

I will give the Idol credit for the flames it can throw. I have been looking at pictures I took of it in Salina. I must retract my previous statement of not liking it. It's not really my cup of tea but it is pretty amazing the amount of work he's put into it.

8. Larry, I may not like your car but you have treated a fellow Vagabond (Tony) with respect and comraderie. Thanks.

9. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I like Larry!!! as do all of the Cheaters!

10. TJratz

TJratz

Met him at Salina this year. Seemed like an upstanding guy. X2

11. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

Larry has been nothing but nice to me everytime I have talked to him. He shares the process which he goes through in his builds, and is always willing to answer questions....He does the work...enough said...Larry a real nice man!!! and a terrific open mouth kisser

love the Cheaters!!!

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

Met him in Salina. Seemed like a good enough guy to me. I'm impressed. If most of us had the talent to build a car like this, we would. Maybe it's over the top, maybe it's not to eveyone's taste, but you can't knock the workmanship and creativity. Just like any other hot rod or custom, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly don't like all the cars on the HAMB, but I appreciate the vast amount of talent here. No need to personally knock someone on this site, this is about the CARS.

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i had the pleasure of seeing this car in person in detroit a few years ago, and yeah, it is a nice car. maybe not everybodies cup of tea, but hey, whatever blows your fuckin' hair back. also had the pleasure to talk to larry, never once got the impression that he was full of himself or better than you or me, he's a car guy, he's one of us. like his car or not, he deserves to be treated the way you or i want to be treated, with respect.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I agree.....seen the car at the Motorama in Long Beach and I had to go back and look again. It is very well built car and yes it is over the top but I have to say I liked the car. Beautiful green color on it.

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah, the color is great!

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I love the car,have seen it in person many times. Just because you don`t like it`s style don`t mean you hafta bash it.

I gaurantee you that 90% of the bashers on this site don`t have a car or the skills to build one.

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks to Larry for posting above ! As I've said before, my Interviews are about the cars and those connected with them: Builders, Owners, Designers, Artists, etc., and they are ALWAYS treated with respect in presenting their stories.

Larry was a humble & great guy to spend time with, and to record his history & stories was a real pleasure. This one is one of the most interesting from our session because the Idol is a true "ground breaking" car from his shop...and it's "Winfield Certified" !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage147.html

Thanks again, Larry !

Jonnie

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. All i can say is Wow !!!

19. fbama73

fbama73

I got to meet Larry in person this past Summer. Based on the way he treated me personally, I would have expected the type of response that he gave- class.

I can't speak for the experiences of others, but I saw nothing to indicate any of the negative things that were said.

20. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Aw' c'mon its not that bad. It has some great styling ques.

But this is the internet and I guess people will say things they never would if the person was right next to them.

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree with Chris 50 on the build. That's probably the nicest thing I can say.

As far as the person goes... it sounds like most of you have met a far different person than I have...

22. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thank you!

23. scarylarry

scarylarry

Good, you girls all make up? On to the next drama as the HAMB Turns.

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

25. deto

deto

And I like ponies. You know anyone with a van?

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I do know a guy

Attached Files:

27. Met Larry at Autorama during the Winfield tribute and he was a cool dude. Let me get all over the car so many here seem to hate. I think the car looked bitchin and Larry couldnt have been nicer.

28. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

if you shake you penis more than 3 times after peeing its considered masterbation.

29. pupchix

pupchix

I really enjoyed the flick! Like it or not.. the man has talent. Variety makes the world go round. Kuddos.
    Rich

30. Thanks for posting the video. Chevys and Fords from 46-48 are a bit on the ugly side to begin with IMO; so building a custom from one is an impressive feat.

I met Larry at the Ducktale Run years ago and this year again at the Road Rocket Rumble. Both times he seemed like any other car guy who enjoyed company and talking cars. Both times he fielded several dumb questions and answered them without insult. Look forward to seeing what is next from him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.