Register now to get rid of these ads!

Von Dutch did more than pinstripe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 22, 2011.

1. erlomd

erlomd

he also made trucker hats...lol (just kidding guys!)

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

get over there and rip some stuff off the walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And that would be the one!!!

Don't think I don't think of that everytime I pass by and see the padlocks on the doors... Beyond the Dutch connection, memeories of great times in there! It was at one time the exact geographical half way point between my VW shop and apartment... I know, I measured!

4. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Thread! and Thanks for posting the link to your article SUNVALLEY54.

5. Amen to that, one hell of a talented man.

6. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

I've got a 'Kenneth Howard Hates You' t-shirt that I wear to some select car shows, like Goodguys, and inevitably get the 'who's Kenneth Howard?' question...'look him up!' The funny thing is, I think he would've either laughed the Von Dutch Clothing thing off, or would've gone nuts on any and all people wearing that crap! I've got a flying eyeball tattoo also, and have to explain THAT, too. Usually to the same dipwad (sideways hat, way over sized t-shirt, pants down to his kneecaps) that asks the previous question...!

7. autobilly

autobilly

I've got a real "knife thing", A hand made and engraved VD folder, what a beauty!
    Perhaps the owner of the building might consent to some panels being removed and kept for posterity, in case of renovation or even demolishon.

8. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Read a great article a handful of years back about Mr. Howard (not Moe either)
    in one of the car mags , just opened my eyes to what an amazing talent , a modern day DaVinci if you would . There are a few lurking in our midst , but unfortunately we probably wont know them until they're gone .

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You got that right. I confronted a kid at the mall and asked him about the shirt. He said it was a German brand of motorcycle.:eek: I didn't even waste my time telling him who the Dutch was. Yuppie scum!

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Never met him, but Dutch stories were circulating in SoCal in the late '50s when I was growing up....he was so offbeat that we all believed them, no matter how crazy they were...the one I remember is supposedly he locked himself in a late '50's Chevy and started striping cobwebs around each tiny hole in the headliner....and then they locked him up in the looney bin...not true (hopefully!!), but that says something about his reputation even then...

11. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

On this site you can't tell that you got something of interest and not show us the pictures... aren't we special few? :D

12. creesto

creesto
    from Ohio

The wiki entry on Kenny is woefully brief. Perhaps HAMBers could add to the entry...

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

Back in '56, my dad was in LA and decided to have Dutch stripe his new '56 Fury. Dad took his Fury over to Dutch's open air shop on, I believe it was Sunset Boulevard (I could check in the Ganahl book but I'm too lazy). Anyway, Dutch commences to drinking wine and ingesting other modern chemistry, right on the open in the middle of Hollywood. Dad's getting nervous, and Dutch starts striping the Fury. Then another guy pulls in and Dutch goes back and starts striping the other guy's car leaving Dad standing there wondering what's going on. After he finishes the other guy's car - a few hours - Dad says, "Hey, Dutch, what about this?" Dutch goes "Oh yeah, I forgot," and stripes the hood, the deck, and the dash. Charged Dad exactly half of what he had in his pockets.

14. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

These are all great stories. I was born the wrong time. I am about to be 34 but I to hate seeing these dumb emo mall rats waring VonDutch clothing and not knowing who he was. Only if they were smart enough to find history for the things they thought they liked. Too lazy I guess.