Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Volvo M40 Transmission Conversion in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarcusJ, Nov 16, 2014.

1. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

I'm about to embark on a transmission conversion on my Model A Ford (pre-war style Fordor rod). The four banger is tuned with a Simmons Super Power Head (well… Super Power, hmm), a Winfield 3/4 cam, Stromberg 97, bigger inlet valves. It runs great, but shifting isn't exactly quick with the original gearbox. I have considered a T5 but having read some different threads my choice is the Volvo M40 four speed gearbox. One reason is style - It looks more period and I'm hoping to mate it to the torque tube. (And btw, Volvo was owned by Ford a couple of years..) .Another is availability and cost - lot's of M40's around in Sweden, not so many T5's. And I won't need an overdrive. I have the transmission as well as an AA-Ford truck bell housing, that is 2 inches shorter and makes the input shaft of the M40 "reach" the clutch. Everything is dismantled and now I'm pondering how to mate the gearbox to the torque tube. I will return with posts soon. Here is a little video of the engine running in the meantime:

Related threads:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-banger-trans-swap.168654/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-cheap-and-easy-4-speed-to-flathead-v8.452937/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/t5-tailshaft-swap-for-dummies-with-pictures.280529/page-2
    http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?48554-What-modern-boxes-can-I-use-on-a-32-w-a-Flathead-V8

//Marcus

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and waxhead like this.
  2. [​IMG]

Nice !! Now you have me reading Volvo forums......that's a cool looking transmission......is there anything close to it's look AND a Volvo 5 speed choice ? Hell, even the engine in front of it, seems to have some coolness factor to it. I believe this is a B20 Volvo....but I dunno' crap about them....yet.

Be cool to have an OLD "looking" tranny' choice......barring some dude with make up and a dress.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Herb (ebtm3) has used the M40/41 tranny- can't remember if it was on his A or his '28 Chevrolet :)

5. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Thanks for the input. I've studied these posts closely.

Regarding overdrive - there is the M41 assembly - an electrically actuated overdrive mounted behind a standard M40. Certainly an option, but I like it as simple as possible.

What I'm struggling with right now is to find a solution where I can make the Model A U-joint fit the shaft on the Volvo M40 output shaft - that has different splines. Then I would only need to shorten the Ford drive shaft and tube, but could retain the splined end of the shaft. One solution that has been suggested is to weld a short Model A splined shaft to a flange that would fit the flange on the Volvo transmission - to which the Volvo U-joint is bolted (see far right on the picture above) - so that I could fit the Ford U-joint to that and then bolt the whole assembly to the Volvo flange - sorry, complicated. The problem is that that has no chance of fitting within the torque tube "ball".

In the meantime - Here is a crazy model A from Sweden with either a B18 or B20 Volvo engine with a supercharger.

kidcampbell71 and kevinwalshe like this.
  6. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Here are a couple of pictures of the car in question. Photos of the transmission work will be posted soon.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

9. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Subscribed! Power of HAMB. Some great ideas

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I'm completly agree with you about the avalible and durabke Volvo box. I'm planing about make good use of my M400, thats the big brother to the M40. Not so many around, but its stronger.

But the M40 holds up to a lifetime of abuse, even behind hopped up 4 bangers and is as close to bullet profe as can be!

There is a threat on here with a guy from England putting one in a Hill Climb car. Threat is called something like; one for the hills.

But its hard to beat, cheap, avalible, compact, and 4 speed full-syncro.
    Not a bad call.

Regarting the statement about the B20 being a Nice mill, I concour.
    We use/abuse it in alot of things over here. Like cars, small trucks, go cart and is the engine swap choise for many people.
    Often ends up in jeeps and it had bin the Scandinavian Hot Rodders choise for many years.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We used one in are mine sprint race car behind a 2 liter pinto.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

OK, so I have to give up on keeping the Torque Tube, I'm sorry to say.

It's not that it couldn't be solved, it just becomes too expensive. The solution would be to keep the stock U-joint, as it is fits the "ball" where it is housed so well. Modern U-joints, for example a Volvo U-joint, are too big. To match the Ford u-joint to the M40 output shaft I would have to make a flanged and splined axle that would suit the splines of the u-joint (to the front). The flange would be bolted to the flange of the Volvo U-joint part that is closest to the gearbox. I would also have to make a spacing ring that would move the whole ball assembly backwards to make the center of "twisting" the same as that of the Ford U-joint. Apart from that I would also have to:
    - shorten the drive shaft and re-spline it as well as turn it where the needle bearing in the torque tube is placed - which would be further back on the shaft
    - shorten the torque tube
    - shorten radius rods
    - make a new housing for the bearing for the output shaft on the gearbox, to which the flange that normally sits at the back of the Ford gearbox, that holds the ball assembly, would be bolted.

I guess I should post a sketch :)

So lots of machinery and three new parts that would have to be designed and made.

So I will instead go with an open shaft. This (only) involves:

- Buying an open shaft conversion kit from Speedway Motors - done
    - Buy a Volvo 140 drive shaft, found one for about 70 bucks
    - Have the Volvo drive shaft shortened
    - Make rods that hold the rear axle in place at the banjo and up front - where the radius rods are mounted
    - Make a bracket between the frame rails, that holds the radius rods, the rods that hold the banjo and supports the gearbox.

I will keep you posted.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like both plans.

But according to many www sources, the Volvo/laycock de normville overdrive, is the perfect match.
    So the m40 should be perfect too.

But I think that any eager machinist, that is eighter thirsty or broke, will jump true hoopes to make a TT fit to a M40.
    I would even surgest you went with the TT. And mayby make them avalible to the public, there could be a marked opening up, because the ones who can double clutch, are getting fewer.

And a would make an adapter for the ball/TT mount, the flange from the M40 I would hack saw or remove with lathe and weld to the a Ujoint and bob is your uncle.
    And go from there.

But not my car, and not not call.
    But I think about doing just that. But with a Chevy to Volvo adapter. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

15. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Yup - saw that - something like that would work. But welding the flange to the u-joint... that was seriously discouraged by a couple of people in the driveshaft-making business. A more final problem with it is also that it will not be possible to reach the nut that tighten the flange to the shaft through the u-joint - so as far as I could se it was a dead end, hence the idea with the splined shaft on a flange.
    Anyway - I agree, there will be probably a market for a kit - its just that I'm not skilled, and patient enough. I would have bought the kit though.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

So, after a slight pause in the project, it is on again, with hopes of having tha car ready for the A-Bomber's Flat Out Blast meet May 24 - a rather tight schedule considering what needs to be done:

- Get the balanced engine back, including lightened flywheel with Volvo clutch assembly (May 1st)
    - Mate gearbox to AA clutch housing - almost done, Picture coming this weekend
    - Make bracket for brake and clutch pedal shaft
    - Make a crossmember to support gearbox with, including a ball-joint assembly for the wishbones
    - Weld old gear lever to M40 gear lever bit
    - Assemble open drive conversion kit on banjo
    - Make torque support bars
    - Make some kind of adapter for speedometer Cable (to rear of tranny)
    - Have an open drive shaft made
    - Assemble it all

Well, last weekend a friend helped me make the sliding thingy for the clutch bearing - that match the Model A clucth fork:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Some more activity. Photos of the plugged (threaded plugs) and drilled new holes in the clutch housing. Photo of the hand brake lever bracket. Photo of the clutch bearing on slider on transmission, see also the plugged old holes and drilled new holes in the transmission, and the spacer ring. You will see that the ring has a thin edge that fits in the chamfered edge in the hole in the clutch housing, that prevents the ring from falling into the housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Love the Volvo drivetrained hotrod plan, especially since my first rides were a 544 the a 122S; going thru B16...B18...B20 upgrades. I held onto an M40 with OD all these years waiting for a deserving shell.

19. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Great plan. The ones with OD, (I think they are called M41), are getting thin on the ground. I may or may not upgrade to one of those later.

20. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Made brackets for the brake and clutch pedals this weekend, see mock-up photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. dualquads

dualquads

excellent ! i have adapted an m41 type box with the laycock overdrive to my banger, far more complicated on the m41 boxes as the guide tube for the release bearing is built into the volvo bellhousing, i made a plate to go between the box and AA bellhousing which mounts one end of the pedal box ( the other end mounts to bolts on the bellhousing at the engine ) and a guide tube for the release bearing, the other problem is drastically shortening the selector to move the gearlever forward about six inches.

kev

22. daddylama

daddylama

dig seeing this...

i'm a fan of the M40, just beware of 3rd gear. i've blown the sheeet out of 3 of them, all in 3rd gear.... granted that was behind a built pushrod 4cyl (B20 volvo), so maybe more abuse than an A banger motor...

23. Like the idea with the carriage bolts in the bottom, gonna steal that! ;)
    But why did you plug the holes in the M40?

24. Casting inside, I see now - sorry!! :oops:

25. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Glad you liked the bolts Dannerr, and glad that you're on the thread. I've been really inspired by your work!

Dualquad - if you have photos of your M41 solution that would be really interesting to have a look at.

Yesterday a gave the measurements to the guy who will make the drive shaft.

So now the to-do list looks like this:

- Make a crossmember to support gearbox with, including a ball-joint assembly for the wishbones
    - Assemble open drive conversion kit on banjo
    - Make torque support bar
    (- Make some kind of adapter for speedometer Cable (to rear of tranny))
    - Have an open drive shaft made
    - Assemble it all

Still hope to be ready by 23rd, for the A-Bomber's Flat Out Blast meet. But that's just semi-realistic...

26. dualquads

dualquads

[​IMG] hopefully these will help.[​IMG][​IMG]

27. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Thank you for the photos Kev! Very nice!

Yesterday I mocked up a cross member in cardboard that I began manufacturing today. It's a sort of upside down T-member that will be attached to the upside down U-shaped cross member in the model A frame, for support. Hope it works. The coming week will be intense, and I will try to post any progress (or failure). Still hoping to be ready by the 23rd.

[​IMG]

28. MarcusJ

MarcusJ
    from Sweden

Short update. The engine is now inte car - Everything looks good so far. The pedal assembly works perfectly. I will let the transmission "hang" in the clutch housing, just like the original - no support. Still hoping to make it to Flat Out Blast on Saturday, but it's going to be a Close shave... :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Fingers crossed! :)