Register now to get rid of these ads!

Voltage Regulator experts required.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam F, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Adam F

Adam F

I will try and keep this brief,,,however! I have charging problems with my system on my Flathead. It is a ford 6v Genny with a 12V falcon case and an ford 15v 35 Amp regulator sourced from a falcon/mustang.

I have determined that I am getting 13 volts charge at the firewall (on the B post of the Regulator) With the same test, I am only getting 11.9 volts at the Battery which is obviously insufficient to keep the Battery Charged.

I have taken apart the voltage regulator to see if I can coax more than 13 Volts out of it. The first attached picture shows what I found - the arm that holds the battery point was bent so that it was barely touching when the point was closed. Surely this is not correct and it should look more like the second photo?

I have found losts of materials on how to test the generator or the regulator but cant find anything on how to actually adjust the output of the regulator?

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy

There are three relays in the regulator. The one attached to the armature is the cut out. It is normally open and closes when the output of the gen closes it. The next one is the amps relay. It controls the maximum amperage. Increase the spring tension for higher amps. The end relay is the voltage. Increase the tension to increase the voltage. Less tension gives less voltage.
    Yes, the cut out relay points should line up but not touch except when pulled in by the gen.

3. Adam F

Adam F

Thanks Andy! Fingers Crossed that was the cause of the problem!