Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Voice your opinion on a color.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim636, Jul 2, 2014.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^ Honduras Maroon, timeless classic, always a favorite.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Ok I'm leaning toward a maroon.........

3. cometman98006

cometman98006

100_0651.JPG

4. Slopok

Slopok

Black just like Hot Rod Primer said but add some flames and becomes timeless. Mine was done 32 years ago and still fits in well where ever it goes.

Attached Files:

5. HAHA Highlander good post only problem is you have the wrong brothers the green gold Merc's were first done by the Ayala's. Barris redid both cars and yes in darker colours. Purple and Tingia Marron.

6. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

Bright flat green w a flaked white roof. My buddy had a '53 customline with this scheme. Really nice. Everyone has black and red. Boring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. You will regret using flat black,it doesn't take too long for it to start looking bad & chalky,,look at my Hamb Moniker ,HOTRODPRIMER,I used primers in all shade of color and tried flats thinking they would hold up better.

I tried the Kirker Semi Gloss black in desperation and have never been so happy with the end results.

My deuce pickup has been wearing this finish for almost 8 years now and still looks great,,I will never use flat paint ever again! HRP

[​IMG]

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Just go to your local Ford/Mercury dealer. They have some of the nicest, "jewel-like" colors out there!

9. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

The car is prepped and ready to paint,just waiting on cooler weather. So now would be a good time to re wire the car and see how the windshield cutting goes. Thanks for all the comments guys.

10. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Its done.

Attached Files:

11. fat141

fat141

How about this ?

[​IMG]

Now has wide whites and full wheel covers.

12. fat141

fat141

Whoops, looks like I was a tad to late. Not to worry, you now have a good base coat for later on
    Rod

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Sorry, man, but I just don't like it. Just my dumb-ass opinion, and you did ask at the beginning of this thread. Some cars come off good with that look, I just don't think this one did. I'm hoping that after you put all of the trim back on I may change my mind. Good luck with it.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you do decide on a color later you're 1 step ahead. Black base makes a lot of colors look "old". Hard to put into words, and to be honest I began doing that after reading the Packard process for painting their cars. Through 1947, all Packard models were painted black 1st in order to visually inspect panel quality and alignment. The car was then sprayed in Ditzler Lacquers in the color ordered, wet sanded and polished, then the jambs were cut in, done just like most every custom or restoration these days. Quite the process but then again, quite the car too. Good luck with it and don't forget to show it off all done n runnin:cool:

15. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

If you decide to paint it later...how about Chevy Glacier Blue or Harbor Blue metallic from the tri-fives? They're medium blues and look fantastic.

Flat black on that car is a total missed opportunity.

slowmotion and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I'm not a big flat or semi gloss fan except for on pick ups. Although there have been some nice looking cars posted in this thread posted with those style of paints.

Finish it up like you have it, drive it and enjoy. Change it up down the road if it suits you.

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This is "later on"! :)

18. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Yes I don't know how I feel about the color. Not really what I envisioned......live and learn I guess.........I need to get the chrome on it and see how it looks.

19. I thought you were leaning on maroon?
    A deep rootbeer or maroon would be great over black and now you can see all the fitment of the panels better! like highlander was saying.

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

This is very interesting. I intend to paint my coupe with black primer then black urethane on all the undersides, frame, inner fenders, etc before assembly. Then I'll paint the topside medium metallic green. Finally (but before the clear coat,) fogging all the edges in a very dark metallic green which will fade into & disguise all the black that will show through around all the seams and edges.