Register now to get rid of these ads!

Viva or Roundup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Kurt, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

I was thinking about going to Viva this year, I am thinking the Roundup may be the place to go now. Id just ave to find some Hambers to hang with since I would be going alone

2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Viva #1 Music #2 Car Show #3 Drinking marathon. Not necessarily in that order.

3. fatbody

fatbody

Round Up or bust!......sent in my registration today.

4. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

There is some beautiful country up there in Austin so nice for crusing.Come on down to Texas you won't regret it. :)

5. Hey, brother, we'll show you all the comraddery this state has to offer! If I've been welcomed with open arms, you know even jeffry Dammer would be, not that that'sa bad thing.

6. Big Tony

Big Tony

This year the round up is gonna be twice as good as the past due to the number of cars there, music, vendors and swap meet..not to mention COngress street is gonna be wild as hell. I;ve never been to viva but my vote is for round if nothing else becuase of the first time stuff this year

7. The rules for the car show at VLV this year SEEM to have been completely re-written to do away with the asshole element....we will see...

Check em out

Oh, and yeah, we are going to VLV, its a social event for a lot of English folk who come over, which is nice as I get to catch up with friends from home

8. GOONZ

GOONZ

I Would Still Say The Roundup, But It Looks Like If The Rules Are Enforced, The Bullshit Of Recent Years Should Get Squashed. But, Like The Consensus From The Board Shows, If You're Into Music First, Go To Viva. Gambino Did An Awesome Write Up For Traditional Rod & Kulture About The Roundup And That's Where I Would Put My Money

9. Lest not we forget, fellow brethren, the Garage Crawl, whichever hill country highway cruise you choose, South Congress & the Continental Club, plus now, the cruise out to the Expo Center.

You can spend a week, plus a months salary just taking in the array of goings on out here. Truly, one of a kind, RoundUp hands down.

I don't even know when I would be able to check out VLV, but someday I will, just to have a first hand opinion on it. In the rags, it looks cool. But thems jus' pictures & a few words.

Cruise down w/ yer fellow Cornhuskers & soak up this beautiful Texas Sunshine.

'Nuff Said.

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

I hope to make it to both! I have been every year to viva, I enjoy the parties in the room with friends and the ladies all dolled up, and some of the music. It really is a drinking marathon, and it always takes me a few extra days to recover, plus its only a few hours for me.

Austin is a really cool town, and I have heard a lot of good things about the round up.

11. Rusty

Rusty

Man I never thought I would here those two in the same sentence. Roundup or nothing

Rusty

12. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

word. nobody moves to vegas 'cause of Viva. people really move to austin largely due to the Roundup (and SXSW). i prolly would, too...as much fun as it is.

+1

13. ROUND-UP

14. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Roundup any day. Been to both last year and Austin was so much nicer then Vegas. Cruising in Austin was fantastic, none in Vegas

15. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

roundup...I'll be there!

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Yep, thats pretty much what happened

17. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

Round Up,............ its the new PASO!

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Now here is an unbias opition from someone who went to both events in the same year and doesn't live in either of the venued cities.

19. bigken

bigken

Not to mention, the 'lady' will be in Austin for Roundup, and her Texas hugs are a heck of a lot better that the Vegas hugs. (so I hear) ;)

20. Mike

Mike

I reckon it'll be the Round Up for me this year.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I honestly believe that Central Texas has the best car scene in the country... Not the biggest, but the best... The people make this place.

The Round Up is the best pure car show in the country.

22. If I ever move, you can bet yer ass it will be to Austin! Always loved that place, used to go visit people in college in the early '70s, went to Armadillo World Headquarters (gone but not forgotten!), camping out at Paleface Park, you name it, had a blast every time! Keep Austin Weird!!!!!!!!!

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They are two different events, you can't really compare them. I love music and I get to meet old friends at VLV but The Round-Up was staggeringly awesome too, it's the city of Austin, what av great place. I'd go to both, but I haven't been to VLV in years, I'd kinda like to, plus Vegas' incredibly lax rules about drinking and the low prices make this drunken fuck very happy.

24. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Man!! I want to go to roundup!

25. Round Up and Austin are IT!!! No questions, no doubt...jus' do it. The other day I wuz wonderin' (between a beer and weldin")...can it git too big....will it dive like Paso or Viva?? I think NOT. Different town, different folks (damn fine folks). I really believe the Tejas hands are on top of it. Hey, if ya don't go, you can always tell yer buds "yeh, I almost went to the Round Up....almost had a blast cruisin' Congress...almost heard some great bands and met the best folks......ALMOST" Damn it boy..

26. onearmbandit

onearmbandit

I hit Viva last year and mostly enjoyed the scene, but I keep hearing so much good stuff about the round up so I'd rather try that next.
    A freind of mine drove his '49 merc towing a tear drop from New Hampshire to Vegas for Viva. He pre paid to get in the show, but at the gate they wouldnt let him in, because they said he wasn't on their list. What a guy huh?

27. kopis

kopis

Well I would say Viva. I have not been to roundup so cant say much there.

28. RoadBurner1

RoadBurner1
    from Nebraska

I have been to both. Viva was a great experience, the car show was great, but really no driving involved. Obviously there is tons to do and music up the wazoo. I would go again.

Round Up was my favorite of the 2. The events on congress and the cruising, bands everywhere, Lets not forget the open house both nights at South Austin Speed Shop.

If I was given a choice it would be Austin.
    Thats my 1/2 a cents worth

29. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Roundup.

Great show. music all weekend.South Congress.

and if you're coming down from the Husker state...bring some Runza's:D

30. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I've never been to Viva, and don't really ever plan to so I'm not comparing the two. The thing that I like most about Roundup is that it is not a stationary event. You get plenty of chances to hop in your hot rod and drive around. Especially on congress cars are not just sitting in a parking lot, they are always coming and going so you get a chance to not only see all the cars, but watch them in action and hear them run down the street.