Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Viva Las Vegas 2013 Car Show Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Simca, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Oh man, I was starting to get concerned about the lack of the annual "pissing & moaning about all the cost, all the fucking rockabilly's & rat rods" at the Viva Las Vegas show....

But no, true to form, and a little later than normal....here it is!!

Its a MUSIC weekend, with a car show....its $150 for 4 days of MUSIC almost 24 hours a day, vendors, friends & there's a car show too....on Saturday...its included in the cost....

Anyway...I have said my bit....

Let the whining continue......

2. Wow wierd it seemed to me many of the cars and clubs us Midwest folks see in the mags show up I.e choppers, shifters, etc so how did it become a sudden douche fest according to some of the posts? Looks to be a love it or hate it event huh

3. Moedog07

Moedog07

On my bucket list...

4. you'll love it... :)

5. daddio211

daddio211

I think most of the people complaining have never been, or haven't been in the past 4 years.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Tom Ingram

Tom Ingram

As the organizer of Viva Las Vegas I thought I should correct some of the comments that have been made in this thread. I will start with the $150 price that was mentioned. The only people who pay that want to get into everything and pay on the day. In reality no-one will pay that as it will be sold out this week. The full 4 day pass for everything is $115 in advance.

As for the car show. I could never understand why, at car shows, car owners have to pay more than people just looking at cars. That is why at VLV we have never charged extra for a car. We have gone a stage further this year. If you want to put a car in the car show the price is FREE and the driver is FREE. Yes, for the car show only the car and driver are free if you register in advance. On the day car show admission is $30 for Saturday only and $50 for the whole weekend. And that includes seeing Little Richard, Dick Dale, and The Rockats on the car show stage.

The quality of cars is another point I will address. Viva Las Vegas is a primarily a 1950s music event and the car show compliments that. Therefore the cars represent cars of that period. Yes, we could open it up to later cars or cars that are not period correct but then it would be like many other car shows. We are not looking to have the biggest car show, just one that goes with the event. We realize that not everyone will like that and we do not blame you. Axle has worked hard to improve the quality of cars and to bring in new car clubs. We often discuss some of the cars as to whether we should accept them and we always agree with each other.

If you do have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact myself [email protected] or Axle [email protected]

Thank you

TOM

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You took the words right out of my mouth! And I personally thank you. This just never ceases to amaze me. Its easy to look at one photo of a car that attended VLV from the privacy of your home computer then make an instant judgement as to what the event is all about.

I would like to emphasize what Tom just stated. If anyone with a traditional Hot Rod, Custom, or stock pre 1964 Classic Pre Registers for VLV - Car & Driver get in FREE !

As for the quality of cars that have attended in the recent past - and will be attending this year. The quality is WAAAAAY up . You will see everything from work in progress, Suede cars, to Hamb friendly fully finished period correct Hot Rods & Customs. People are pre registering cars from as far away as Alberta Canada, Maryland, Florida, mid west, and upstate Washington.

Also, those attending this year will be viewing a large Gasser display, an authentic Custom display with original early Customs, a Dragster display, and an antique motorcycle display brought to you by our friends from Kansas - Scott Hall & family.

Lastly, All those who will have a car or motorcycle in the show please be reminded that the show area is fenced off, the lot will close at 10:00 p.m. every night, have full security watching the gate entrance, and wont re open until 10:00 a.m. the next morning.

Never hesitate to PM us. Thank you, Axle

8. daddio211

daddio211

Axle and Tom, you guys are class acts. At least some of us appreciate what you're doing.

Just to be clear, its NOT too late to register a car free , right?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. First thing,Tom & Axle thanks for putting on a great show! I try to go every year with the wife, we fly in from North Dakota. We have a blast. The Viva bashing is from the people that that have never been there! Yes there are the ratrods that show up, but in my opinion it has gone down from the previous years. There are more than enough quality cars that attend. Yes sometimes it looks like its Halloween when your walking around the show, never the less it's still a great time! Me and da wife usually buy the weekend pass and never think twice about the cost! You have to realize what goes into this show with the vendors, advertising, bands and so on! If anyone bitches about the cost of the tickets they need to keep it to their self's along with the so called "bad rap" the show has! I'm not a rockabilly dude or dress like a clown, I enjoy attending this show because it's more than the show we see! We make a vacation out of it and usually spend at least 4 days in Vegas because theres so much to do! I support the show so all the old fucks and gold chainers that are negative about it can shut their pie holes! My 2 cents anyway! You guy's put on an awesome weekend, keep it up!

10. If i'm not bringing my car to a show, I would much rather pay to get in a show they to get in free. I want to be surrounded by people who care about the cars enough to pay to get in. So many free shows these days are full of people that are just out for a weekend stroll which makes for a more crowded show. Don't complain about the price and also complain about the crowd. The cost helps to weed out some of the people that shouldn't be there. Then again, all everyone wants to do here is complain.

11. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

I'm going to the Rat City Rukkus. a better car show without the drama and costumes. Patrick and the Junkyard Pirates do a hell of a job putting on this show. Sorry Tom and Axle, no more Viva for me. It went downhill since it left the rooftop.

12. daddio211

daddio211

I don't speak for Tom or Axle, but I believe CAR OWNERS get in free (unless they register day of) and spectators pay.

Lot's of rats at the Rat City Rukkus. I've stopped by the past two years after Viva and wondered why I left Viva, although I had a number of friends with cars at the Rukkus. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but there was some WEIRD SHIT at the Rukkus, and WAY less than 1/2 of the cars (in my opinion) were traditional or HAMB friendly.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have no special love or hate for VLV.

But the Spam and Drama Threads about it are like clockwork...

And that is annoying.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thank you. Yes, Car & Driver are still Free. Don't wait til the last minute as i'm approving a group of cars daily , and it may sell out shortly before the event.

15. daddio211

daddio211

Just applied. Green '50 Ford Tudor. :D

16. daddio211

daddio211

Registration was easy and FAST! See you guys in 5 1/2 weeks.

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Oh there is, it's a very thriving culture. Few things are as awesome as seeing a Rockabilly band live.

Cannot wait! The few months leading up to Viva are always the longest:mad:

18. zep058

zep058

I just want to say before this thread gets closed...that sounds pretty good to me.

19. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Wish airfair from Kansas City wasnt so dam high. Looks like it would be a hell of a time. I dont think that everything has to be 100% about the cars.

20. great show Tom and Axle. keep up the great work

21. slammed

slammed

Kid you dig deeper each day.

22. A few of us are heading out for the 2014 VLV, the show this year was just too early and had other plans. First learned about VLV last year 2012 when the +1 and I were out there for a weekend get away and stumbled on it at the Orleans. Look forward to the music and cars, not into the politics thoug.

23. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

The Rat City Rukkus? That sounds awesome for the rat rodders out there!!:eek: However I have a lot of respect for the type of cars allowed at the VLV car show. This will be the 3rd year I make the 600Mile drive to vegas for VLV. I must say that I am always impressed with the selection of cars and the lack of jeep bodies on deuce frames, rebar spiderwebs,and rat mascots glued to hoods at that show. I go to a TON of shows all up and down the west coast and I have never seen a more period correct show as Viva. I suppose the model A I am driving down this year might be considered a rat rod to some of you folks, but if you can't tell the difference between a "rat rod" and a traditional hot rod project,then the Rat City Rukkus sounds like the place for you.:D

24. daddio211

daddio211

Bingo.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds so damned simple, If you don't like that type of event don't go.

My wife and daughter would love it and my daughter would talk about it for a year but I'm not that sure I'd want to go unless it was a stop on an extended road trip.

There are too many events out there to piss and moan about what you don't like about one of them in particular. I'd be more into thinking that with what the total expenditure for the weekend at Viva was could I take that money and maybe a bit more and head on to Austin instead? Or maybe hit two Billetproof events for the same pocket full of cash.

26. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

My wife & I went to VLV for the first time last year & had a great time,saw alot of great cars,talked with alot of great people & consider it to be the best show we've ever been to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. It can't be that crap.....its 99% sold out of passes for the 3rd or 4th year in a row....and they are down to less than 400 left according to the last update...

So....yeah...I guess the opinions of the select few are not really causing any issues with participation

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  28. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

.........................................indeed.

29. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Couldn't agree with you more. I drove to Viva from Southern Colorado three years in a row, and always had one of the best times of my life there. When I try to describe it to people who haven’t been, I call it a rockabilly art and music festival topped off with an exceptional car show. Some years ago there were a few cars on site whose roadworthiness and “vintage” status were dubious at best, but I’ve also seen some of the most remarkable customs and timeless hot rods I’ve ever seen there as well. This is one of those events that always seems to improve with time. That said, it’s still not perfect. Nothing is. The mode is based on many traditional things (music, clothes, cars, etc.), but with a bit of a modern bent. I realize it’s hard for some people to relate to that. No problem. To me the style is at least in some measure a response to the mostly style-absent contemporary music and car scene in the world today, but for the most part it’s just rock ‘n roll, hot rods, and cool people. It’s definitely not something that everyone would appreciate, but most people who typically wouldn’t be drawn to something like Viva would probably love it if they just gave it a chance. It’s worth it.

30. Mercchev

Mercchev