Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Viva Las Vegas 2013 Car Show Changes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Simca, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Olds Simca

Olds Simca
    from Las Vegas

2. Seriously,,one thing for sure if anybody plans on going to the circus you need to register early,,late registration is $150 bucks!

And that doesn't cover your spouse or kids?? :eek: HRP

3. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If prices are that high and people are still going, it must be one hell of a party. I'm attending it for my 50th birthday. What have I got to lose?!

5. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

And that's why I stopped going to Vegas. Prices/bullshit keeps going up

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

WOW...I didn't think there was much interst in 50's "rockabilly" music, but if they get people to pay those prices I guess I'm wrong.

Nothing there in Vegas that would interest me. Guess I'm an old guy that likes...60's style hot rods and customs, muscle cars, 70's era to current rock music...and my women slim and good looking.

7. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I guess I forgot the part of history when pre 63 cars (and the style) had giant combine/tractor diesel turbo motors, shitty barbed wire and maltese crosses all over them.
    Used to really want to go to viva, but the last few years seeing pictures and hearing the stories has made me want to stray away from the clown show.

9. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Ratrods allowed,LOL

10. daddio211

daddio211

I dig the VLV show, its always fun. What I don't get is how they lay down the law on the music (genuine 50's and early 60's sound) and let modern styled street rods and rat rods in.

I voiced a few recommendations for bands when they asked a few years ago and was shot down harder than an S10 chassised, laid out anything draggin' rockers on red painted wheels would be around here. One would think that there would be some leniancy considering the cars.

And for the record, I wasn't off base with band recommendations. I learned that they'll do whatever they want, and write the rules to suit what they think the party is all about. Now I just go and enjoy looking at the cars and the freaks!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. slammed

slammed

Same lame-o's complain of show they love to hate. Suck it up Buttercup!

12. viva's a good show. its not your traditional car show but still has great cars. the 'ridiculous' price is for the whole weekend event not just the sat car show. its not for everyone.
    no one is sitting back talking shit about what you guys like to do. let the young people do what they wanna do. quit waving your fists in the air angrily and telling them young'ens to 'git off you yard!'
    dont piss on peoples parades because you don't like it. when you farts were young i bet the old folks didn't like the shit you were doing... :D
    just sayin...

13. ratman

ratman

O/k I'll bite in the not allowed section it refers to "Steam Roller Tires"
    Can somebody educate me please ?

14. slammed

slammed

Pro Street!

15. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

It's odd that I'm gonna be the one to point this out but, the fact that this show is in fact not traditional is precisely what makes it completely legit fodder for this board to piss on the show. Had someone started a thread on their pro-street '70 Mustang, you would expect that to be shot down also. This "show" is about 85-90% off topic for the board.

The reason no one is sitting back and talking trash about what the other guys "like to do," is because this board is about what they "like to do." I believe in the merits of "to each his own" philosophy. I'm sure there's a place on the interwebs for you to share your enthusiasm for this particular gathering.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And that should be the end of the debate. :)
    (But rockabilly is great)

17. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

people piss on any thing just for the sake to piss on it.Reality is if you dont want to go,dont like it or thinks its a clown show,then stay the fuck home and leave everyone else to do what they want.No one gives a shit if you roll up or not.No one cares what you think about the show and it will still go on regarless of your opinions.Every year we see this pissing and moaning about a car show in vegas.Get the fuck over it.

18. Didn't mean it's not 'traditional' as in OT, meant traditional as in not just a car event.. It has a lot more to offer than a car show. You are right we all have our opinions about anything but this thread was not started to offend anyone or to talk shit about viva. My point is if you dont like it that's fine. It you dont have knock down the people who do.
    The cars are of the H.A.M.B. nature although there are some nonfriendly rides also
    Just the opinion that I Am entitled to...

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

my thoughts exactly. but its not just a car show.. its a 4 day rockabilly weekend WITH a car show. Me and the boys go every year and we have a fuckin blast. The reason? because its NOT like every other car show. The last few years have been getting way better on the quality of cars..this isnt the same car show it was 3 or 4 years ago.. and the whole rat rod thing in general..has been slowly dying out.There are some beautiful rides that show up to this that we never see here in So Cal.. a bunch of buddies driving our cars across the desert to Vegas for 4 days of hanging with friends, hanging by the pool, drinking, gambling, watching bands from all over the world all hours of the night, hanging by the pool, car show, drinking, more music, people watching etc...yup..sounds lame.... pretty simple guys..its not for everyone.

20. ^^^^^^ that's what I'm talking about! More than just a car show!
    I've been goin for years and have a blast every time. Quality of cars gets better each year and the show itself does too

21. So I am to assume you can voice how much you love the VLV shows but anyone that don't care for it shouldn't voice or opinion,,BTW,,it's a two way street,,looking over your past post Every year we see you pissing and moaning about Goodguys car shows.

This is a open forum,,so there is nothing that gets a free pass. HRP

22. slammed

slammed

Many good thing's from the show. An 'anti Viva' thread would be suited for some of you. Start one up.

23. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

It's not the event in and of itself, it's the forum in which you're posting for the event. I'll repeat myself just to see if it sticks this time: 80-95% of the content of the event has virtually nothing to do with this board.

If past picture threads contained even a small but decent portion of on-topic rides, and it wasn't mostly unsavory images of people trying too hard, I don't think anyone would say anything.

And hey, if you think I'm a jerk, I guess you need to let Norwell know his comment was unfair the last time a VLV post was locked.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

24. daddio211

daddio211

I'll agree with most of what you said, however know that the CAR SHOW PORTION of the event is probably 80% or greater HAMB friendly rides.

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

For one thing i never mentioned a "love" for VLV car show at all,so where you pulled that gem from we shall never know.You can voice an opinion,in fact you can voice ten thousand opinions,i dont give a rats ass.I was never trying to silence your voice,i as adding to the thread,thats called my opinion.Trust me if i didnt want your opinion you would hear about it.As for goodguys,i have pissed and moaned but i accept the show happens and accept the prices that go along with it.No need to piss and moan anymore.

26. Excuse the assumption,,with all the praise you anoint on it in your numerous past threads concerning the VLV I just got the feeling it was something you were infatuated with,,excuse me!

From here on you and I can agree to disagree! HRP

27. BadLuck

BadLuck

yeah, in the early years this was true.. but anyone who has gone the last couple years would say it is now 85-90% ON topic for the board. Axle has done a great job getting stricter on the type of cars allowed.. Theres several clubs that we see there every year that have gone from primered rides to all painted and almost finished cars.. including our club.. the rat rod trend is slowly dying out and it is finally getting back to the simplicity of a nicely built hot rod and custom... Funny.. i saw way more goofy off topic cars at the Mooneyes Xmas show than i did at Viva last year... but nobody whines about that..

28. I agree mooneyes had more OT cars than I have ever seen at viva...

29. daddio211

daddio211

I said almost word-for-word the same thing. Not sure why my post didn't show up...?

No, the EVENT isn't HAMB friendly but the car show certainly is! No show will ever be 100% of what any one spectator wants, but the show IS fun and the quality of cars has SOARED in the past few years.

Seems like most of the rat rods have headed to one of the SIX other shows that weekend in Las Vegas. I've been to the others and none offer the fun, cars and atmosphere of Viva.

Either it works for you or it don't. Works for me, I enjoy it!

30. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

I would like to make an "indifferent Viva" thread. Maybe you and I can get it going.