Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Virtual Shop Tours... Lets See Yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 26, 2020.

1. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

[​IMG]

Here’s a still for now. I will try to get a video walk through, but first I have to clean up a bit to make sure I can actually walk through

It’s not nearly this organized right now. The picture was after first moving in. This next picture is more current.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Petejoe posted this one on another thread and thought I’d add it here :)

3. hemiorange

hemiorange

We shall see if this works, if so thanks Tim.
    canadian tractors and hot rods
    That does not look like it is a hot link so try a youtube search for that heading.

4. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

40two and Tim like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

6. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

Love the ceiling in shop!

7. tractorguy

tractorguy

Love all the tractors especially the Case stuff......also, thanks for the explanation and rationale on the "farm truck".

8. steves29

steves29

No matter what you have, some will have less, some will have more. We all like what we have.

Dyce, weps, Kan Kustom and 3 others like this.
  9. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Really enjoying seeing where everyone builds their cool shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40two likes this.
  10. John Starr

John Starr

Ok. I'll take the photo and text approach. (And I'll sneak in a few photos of my next door neighbor's shop. Most of you know who he is.)

Folks who drop into my shop often walk away more amused by what's on the walls and the stories behind them, than impressed by the outrageous hot rod sitting in the middle of it all.

Here's a tiny sample of my favorite conversation starters that live in my little garage.

First -- ta da! a hot rod! My '34 5 window Ford coupe. The engine's about seven years past the H.A.M.B. line of demarcation, sorry!

For more info go to https://patganahl.com/2018/10/05/the-hot-rod-next-door/. Pat is my neighbor, he wrote that piece about me and my project. I wish he'd give a tour of his shop -- yup, it's waaaay cooler than mine.

20180707_144531_LLS.jpg

Below: after I sold my muscle car in '87, I needed a speed substitute. So I took up skydiving in the 90's. Gee, that was smart. In my defense; my wife was Ok with it, and even happily took the photo at the top left of me landing. She thinks I'm normal. No, she never skydived but... she loves hot rods. Her dad was an outlaw street racer in the 1970s who let his speeding tickets pile up until he had to do jail time. Somehow, I think that's, well, kinda cool.

20200327_092948.jpg

Thankfully, my little boy has yet to look up and see those photos of me skydiving. For now all he sees is the "cool car", as he calls it, in the middle of the garage. He thinks it's his. I think it is, too. He looks waaaay better in it than I do. And he's not afraid of it having three pedals. Good kid.

20200220_145105.jpg

And now my personal favorite conversation starter in the shop; Elvis Presley.

This is a crappy fan photo showing Elvis leaving the International Inn in Tampa Florida, headed to his September 13, 1970 concert in town there. I grew up down the street from the Inn, freeloading in their pool on an almost daily basis. One day in September 1970 my mom grabbed my brothers and I from the pool and said "Let's go see Elvis." Who? I was six years old.

We went to the back of the hotel where a limo and a gaggle of teenie boppers were waiting. Out came Elvis and his entourage. My mom went weak in the knees and shouted out "Elvis you're a living doll!". Cameras popped, and off Elvis went in his limo.

We took no photos that day. But several years ago I found this fully ID'd fan photo of that very moment in a fan publication. If one could magically zoom wider in that photo, you'd see a little six year old me standing bewildered at the spectacle.

Seven years after that hotel sighting while working, yes, in my childhood garage workshop my dad setup for my brothers and I, my AM radio crackled the news "the King is dead." I rushed inside, my mother was weeping at the kitchen sink. "Mom, what's going on? The king died? I thought we had a president." Yup. I really said that. Ladies and Gentlemen, a crappy photo of the King that means a lot to me;

20200331_222629.jpg

Ok, here's a tiny glimpse of Pat Ganahl's garage, sort of.

Here, some neighbors and I are helping Pat move his 1959 dragster back into place after he had taken it for some runs at a track. Who's driving?

20171210_155506_LLS.jpg

20171210_155437_LLS.jpg

Below: I think this may be my favorite thing in Pat's garage. Yep, it works!

20170225_145118.jpg

This is my boy and I hanging out with Pat a few years ago. That's his son Bill's '64 Riviera behind us -- Pat did the body and paint work on that.

20170225_145622.jpg

Ok. Bug Pat if you want more. There's four really nice cars in there, and lots of cool stuff on the walls. His recent blog post about his model building room is a great piece about his model shop. (https://patganahl.com/2020/03/30/whats-on-your-model-table/)

Below: Attached the the back of my garage is a tiny, renovated workshop. I think it was a chicken coop in the 1930s. I renovated it as a hobby space -- I'm kinda into Ham radio for one. And I do some car stuff in here-- electronics stuff, usually. But since the big Coronovirus lockdown, I've had to work from home, so this little space is now home to my profession, where I work as a reality TV editor. Messy, aint it? What's that old saying "if a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the sign of an empty desk?"

Most recently I was finishing an episode of Deadliest Catch. I have also edited on Jay Leno's Garage. (and yes, I got to go there. Now THAT is a cool "garage"!!!!)

20200322_194511.jpg

That intricate strand of blocks on the lower portion of the edit screen are the individual pieces of video and audio (dialog, ambience, sound fx, music) I select and assemble to form an hour long (well, 41:55 - the rest is for commercial space) program. These represent thousands of decisions I have to make to complete a single show over the course of two months. Sometimes I’m creating a 42 min program from hundreds of hours of raw footage. Sometimes more. (One of my showrunners told me that a 25 - 30 hour season of Deadliest Catch is edited from over 50,000 hours of raw footage. I call the final DNA-like locked cut strand “the stuff that headaches are made of”. Reality TV may seem simple, but editing shows like these is a major mental workout.

20200322_194450.jpg

Here's the state of my coupe now. About to put it back together. I was about to crank up the engine before the Coronovirus thing hit. Might still do that, open headers and all, let everybody know what a garage should be used for. I suppose I might get some complaints -- save for Pat, who might just bust the six-foot social distancing rule and drop in if he hears this thing growling. And if anybody does complain, I'll take my late father's greatest lesson to heart. Dad was a fighter pilot. He used to keep this sign above his desk (far below). It's Latin. Translates to "don't let the bastards get you down."

20200326_165229.jpg

20200331_222531.jpg

Stay safe, y'all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

IMG_9180.JPG IMG_9181.JPG IMG_9182.JPG IMG_9183.JPG IMG_9186.JPG IMG_9187.JPG IMG_9193.JPG IMG_9195.JPG
    A bit cluttered right now.
    But it’s the happy place I can’t wait to get back home from work to.
    Usually take pictures like these before I leave. To geek out to while I am away.

12. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Another one of my buds

13. John Starr

John Starr

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Here’s another one of my guys,
    I promise to talk him out of putting that engine that shall not me named in his ‘57

15. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Another one of the curbside free items that found it’s way home with me while walking the dog.
    But thanks, I dig it too!

chryslerfan55 and John Starr like this.
  16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Should I or should I not give a tour of my hole in the wall?

17. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Should!

chryslerfan55 and Kan Kustom like this.
  18. Absolutely you should!

Kan Kustom likes this.
  19. guy1unico

guy1unico

20. 20200405_171153.jpg IMG_20200404_095912_433.jpg I am in the middle of converting old porcelain light fixtures to LED so I took some pictures while up in the rafters.
    20200404_183943.jpg 20200404_190306.jpg 20200404_193051.jpg IMG_20200405_085645_535.jpg 20200405_112826.jpg IMG_20200405_182902_824.jpg 20200405_130705.jpg

rod1, Texas John, enloe and 15 others like this.
  21. chryslerfan55 and Don Moyer like this.
  22. Yes please! @Royalshifter

Kan Kustom likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark (moriarity) wins, I think.
    Just down the road from heaven.
    Enjoyed seeing all your stuff, Mark. You did some really nice work on Public Nuisance.

Nice to see everybody's workspace and treasures. I look forward to sharing mine before very long. I'm completely starting over... and I have more to do before I'm finished transforming this 2 1/2 car garage into a functional and presentable workshop.
    Finally... sink or swim... start on the Chrysler and it'll be my turn for show-and-tell.
    You guys might actually see me do something. I might actually see me do something.

Come on guys... everybody... show us where the magic happens!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Please!

loving all these!
    @BLAKE shy don’t you share that video of everything idling in the garage to get us drooling ;)

chryslerfan55 and Kan Kustom like this.
  27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Always spending time on stuff management. I guess I'm a hoarder.

Jeff with coupe.jpg

cord gtx plymout duesenberg camper.jpg

28. SR100

SR100

chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.
  29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More? There's more?!?
    More than a hot rod coupe, a GTX and a Duesenberg?
    What the...?
    LOL, that's awesome.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back before I closed my speed shop years ago,some things we'd do,I would kind of clean up one bay{had 3 bays}of my speed shop one time a month ,so we could hold club meetings. I look at old pics too find some shop pic's. but failed and run across this one,. So this is my poor add. Fact is most pic of cars I worked on are out side shop,it was always too messed up for inside pics most of the time. Yup,that's me doing too much talking as always with window behind me.
    My guess would be about 1970?or earlyer
    SMRA_meeting_op_800x563.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020