Register now to get rid of these ads!

Virgil Cates 33'willys For sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.coupe, Jan 22, 2009.

1. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Virgil Cates 1965 World Champion '33 Willys is being offered for sale after 37 years of being in climate controlled storage. This beautifully preserved car is the only known unrestored, all original World Champion Willys in existence and is as it was last run in 1970.
    This 33 Willys is the only drag car to ever set national records in 2 different NHRA classes in one day. Virgil Cates was solely responsible for causing the NHRA to change the rules, limiting cars to competing in a single class at any given event. The history of the "Flying Junkman" Virgil Cates and his '33 Willys is legendary.
    This car is recognized by the NHRA as being one of the most significant, historical drag cars in the world. The car was displayed at the 40th U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, where the owners received the coveted "Wally Award" for the preservation of drag racing history. The award was presented by Wally Parks himself. Then in the year 2004 the car was displayed at the 50th running of the U.S. Nationals as one of the "Golden 50" most historical drag cars of all time.
    This legendary '33 Willys was also presented on "Inside Drag Racing" on ESPN, by Big Daddy Don Garlits, who stated "This is big time, big name, this is what drag racing history is all about." Big Daddy was amazed at the preservation of the car and described it as, "unbelievable".
    This is a rare opportunity for museum curators, car collectors, and investors to purchase this 1 of 1 piece of drag racing history.

Attached Files:

• 4[1].jpg
      4[1].jpg
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
  2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Shouldn't this be in the classified section?

3. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I know the guy that owns this car. It's been for sale for a long time. It's a great survivor car with great history. He wanted a LOT for it. Probably why it isn't sold.

4. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

It's a great car but it's big bucks. I inquired about it 6 months ago. They were asking 1.2 million at the time. I couldn't afford it.

Doc.

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

I agree with Garlits that this is big stuff(!). But these prices are sick. This shit's quickly killing the spirit of hot rodding. It's making ME sick, anyway. And maybe killing my spirit...

6. It boils down to supply and demand and the supply quantity is ONE. We all would love to have it, which we would all have to chip in to come up with the $1.2 million he wants for it. Can you say Powerball?

Bob

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

For that kind of money, I'd buy a warehouse, turn it into a shop with a couple of hoists and lots of indoor storage, then start building cars and hopefully make my own history.....:D...

Sorry....I just got caught up in that "What would I do if I won the lottery" dream........:rolleyes:.......

Oh yeah.......cool car......

9. Larry T

Larry T

Isn't the owner on the HAMB? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
    Larry T

10. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Hi Larry,
    You know me from the gas/fx board. I'm not sure if Ron M. is a member here but he is/was on the gasser list. I talked to him last year but it has been a while. Mike

11. Larry T

Larry T

Hey Mike,
    I thought I recognized you. There are quite a few members of Byron's group that are over here too. I was thinking I'd seen Ron post here, but it could have been someone else.
    Getting old and forgetful isn't much fun. (G)
    Talk to you later,
    Larry T

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

If it was worth that price, it would have sold by now...

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

14. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

WOW, I don't think he'll get that kind of money but then again what do I Know! Very cool car though I want one!

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Obviously Worth less than any S-W-C Cars? What are they worth? I would have thought $500,000 was high, cannot have fun with a car at that price, then Good luck insuring it................AIG might take a stab at it...........they may tell you that it cannot be driven...........kills the whole fun thing.

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I remember when this car was first sold after it's "awakening" - I couldn't believe how CHEAP it went for. I am still hoping I heard it wrong.

BTW - The car is SPECTACULAR!!!!

17. Squatch

Squatch

I'm from Mansfield and can remember going into his shop when I was a wee guy....

18. Didn't he usually pull the nose off and run it in C/Altered??

19. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Yes, he would often run it in whatever class was softer to make it into the 'Eliminator' bracket which paid more money..

( L & M photo )

cc

Attached Files:

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've watched that car run. Like SWC a hemi really makes a little car like that move. It will be interesting to see if it brings the asking price. It wouldn't be any more surprising than the '70 454 Chevelle SS/AA that sold at Barrett Jackson for 1.2 million a couple of years ago:eek:. That one was basically a stock chevelle set up for drag racing..........but it did have history...........just like this one.

Frank

21. OCTANE ORPHAN

OCTANE ORPHAN
    from Ohio

I am also from Mansfield Ohio... I got to grow up listening to storys of oldtimers getting parts from cates speed shop. I have heard alot about this car i saw it a the first hotrod reunion in bowling green.... Its siad to be one of the nicest unrestored racecars out there.

22. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

That price is just depressing......1.2 million knocks it out of the park for 99.9 percent of all car guys......and it makes the car so "money special", that it will never be used for the purpose it was built, or probably never be driven in any capacity again.....sad really.....But then again, if I owned it, would I take less for it just to give it a good home ?.......WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO ????

23. Larry T

Larry T

Kind of interesting comparing this car to SWC, or almost any other famous gasser that you'll see at events. The SWC (and several other famous gassers) was street rodded and then restored back to vintage gasser. To do that there were a lot of changes made to put it on the street and then brought back AS CLOSE to the way it was raced as possible. Probably most of the parts on the cars aren't the one's that they were raced with. This car was raced and then parked, it was never changed and never restored. I'm sure some of the parts went missing and had to be replaced, but the value of this car is that besides being pretty famous it is a survivor not a restoration or recreation.
    And, no I wouldn't give a million for it either, even if I had a couple of million extra just setting around (I wish).
    Larry T

BTW Paucho, I'll bet that anyone giving a million for a car WILL give it a good home. LOL

24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the Original Hill Bros Mr Gasket Red Baron - was for sale at Norwalk Raceway Park with the original "show sign & history"; twas a roller no engine or trans, but original as original could be. It was $8500 @ a Super Chevy Show in the early 80's, it did not have many lookers at the time. We walked past saying remember when these were cool, but where do you race it now?

25. bob masters daughter

bob masters daughter
    from michigan

I am Bob masters daughter and come across this site and i am hurt and disgusted at what i read about my father, ROBERT (BOB) MASTERS. My father is not cheap, he loves willys. i want to know where you heard my father had passed away, he is alive and is still a collector and still owns parts to that car. i am so upset right now. i want to know asap where you heard he had passed, and to talk ill of him makes me sick. he is a wonderful man, and its clear you know nothing about him. I want that post removed saying my dad is dead................. Pam Masters

26. Mastersdaughter

Mastersdaughter
    from Indiana

I am Bob Master daughter. My Father is alive. He is a generous man. My brother never owned that car. My Father is a great collector and restorer. He loved that car along with his other beautiful cars. We were working on the Willys Overland just this last weekend.

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

I actually sort of liked the idea of calling someone collect to ask about their car. Nothing wrong with being cheap IMO.

28. Michael Durig

Michael Durig

That was my Uncle's car. He brought it to Florida to race in the winter. If I had it it would be at the Garlits' museum in Ocala for sure.

29. pretty amazing for a car that originally sold for $325 from the dealer!!